Hurricane Irma Watch

So why are you bashing royal? Saying they are ridiculous and incredible?

I'm not bashing them. And I can't say I got a good deal while saying I'm displeased with not being allowed to receive a refund in the form of original payment?

Sorry that you don't get it

They're offering refunds on the ones they've canceled, the other cruises have just been adjusted rather than canceled outright at this point. That doesn't mean that they won't end up getting canceled as the forecasts become more clear.

They're offering refunds on the ones they've canceled, the other cruises have just been adjusted rather than canceled outright at this point. That doesn't mean that they won't end up getting canceled as the forecasts become more clear.

Agreed. Just offering my thoughts on how things stand as of now...

Pretty ridiculous how RCI is not giving us a third option in getting a full refund with the 25% future credit. Our money is tied down on their side, when I can use it toward another vacation/plans/or other arrangements. Unbelievable.

\

I completely agree. I saved up all year for this cruise (Oasis on September 10)and it's all I have for vacation. Now we have RCL cancelling the cruise I paid for and just holding my money to be used on some future cruise, which will likely cost a lot more than I paid for this one (booked on cyber Monday and got a really good deal with on-board credits). If they would just refund the money now and give a 25% credit for a future cruise, I would be OK with that.

\

I completely agree. I saved up all year for this cruise (Oasis on September 10)and it's all I have for vacation. Now we have RCL cancelling the cruise I paid for and just holding my money to be used on some future cruise, which will likely cost a lot more than I paid for this one (booked on cyber Monday and got a really good deal with on-board credits). If they would just refund the money now and give a 25% credit for a future cruise, I would be OK with that.

That's exactly what I'm saying. But some people don't seem to understand this.

Rates are higher now. Promotions aren't as good. No on-board credits being offered.

It's frustrating. I live in Miami, dealing with preparations. Plus dealing with this on top of it and not knowing what to do

\

\

I agree too. I start a new job in 2 weeks so I probably won't be able to request any vacation time for about a year. I live in FL and right now I don't even care about the cruise, I just want to go north and get out of the way. It bothers me that they have decided to hold onto my money for some undetermined amount of time until I can book another cruise. I would rather get refunded now so that I can evacuate without having to drain my savings.

First...please take my comments in the spirit meant...just giving straight information and opinion. I want to first pray for those on the islands just hit and for those in Florida. My family and I have you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Now, for those who will have their vacations interrupted....lord, I know how disappointing that can be. I hope that you all will be able to rearrange your schedule and get back on a cruise in the very near future. Safety first.

For those that are upset with RCCL because they wont give you a refund or whatever you want them to do.....first and please take this in a good spirited way, because that is how its meant....you planned a cruise during hurricane season. Stuff happens. They are willing to pay for another cruise and give you a 20% discount in the future. Some people may have gotten a full refund, but some people didn't. I know that cruise fare isn't easy to come by....but, hell....they are trying. Remember you booked during Hurricane season. I hope that it all works out. When your on the sea relaxing...all of this will be a distant memory.

\

Except they're not cancelling the cruise - they're adjusting it because of weather completely out of their control.

If they wanted to, the contract you agreed to allows them to keep your money and give you 0% future cruise credit. I think they're being pretty fair by offering you alternatives, both of which give you all your money back. Personally, I'd take the shortened cruise with the 50% OBC refund and the 50% future cruise credit - that's essentially a free 4 or 5 night cruise depending on the ship.

That being said, it's entirely possible the cruise gets cancelled depending on how bad this storm hits the various ports.

These, unfortunatley, are the risks when you sail in September right in the heart of hurricane season. I'm scheduled in early October because to me the prices are worth the risks.

How spoiled are you lot complaining about receiving refunds when potentially tens of thousands in Florida and the Caribbean are about to lose their homes. As long as it doesn't effect your on board credits, that's all that matters.

Not about being spoiled. About trying to do the right thing. You clearly don't see it. Instead of cancelling the cruise all together, they're choosing to still sail Wednesday so that THEY DON'T LOSE MORE MONEY. They're looking at their BEST interests. Wednesday, most of us that live in the Miami area, are still dealing with the aftermath of whatever the storm will bring. So for those of us that aren't even comfortable sailing Wednesday prefer to have our money back in an actual refund instead of them holding it hostage. Option 1 is the only good deal they're offering. A 100% future credit isn't that appealing when rates are higher, etc.

I'm done talking about this subject. Move on along.

God bless everyone with this hurricane.

Evacuations are being ordered out of Florida for what may approach a Category five. This model is showing 168 mph at landfall right over Ft. Lauderdale.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hmon&region=11L&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2017090612&fh=96&xpos=0&ypos=118

I am not sure what more needs to be said.

Not about being spoiled. About trying to do the right thing. You clearly don't see it. Instead of cancelling the cruise all together, they're choosing to still sail Wednesday so that THEY DON'T LOSE MORE MONEY. They're looking at their BEST interests. Wednesday, most of us that live in the Miami area, are still dealing with the aftermath of whatever the storm will bring. So for those of us that aren't even comfortable sailing Wednesday prefer to have our money back in an actual refund instead of them holding it hostage. Option 1 is the only good deal they're offering. A 100% future credit isn't that appealing when rates are higher, etc.

Meanwhile you didn't look out for your interests by purchasing trip insurance, now somehow it's Royal Caribbean's fault that you can't get your money back?

I know you have a lot going on, and I pray that the storm pushes east, but this one is on you.

Meanwhile you didn't look out for your interests by purchasing trip insurance, now somehow it's Royal Caribbean's fault that you can't get your money back?

I know you have a lot going on, and I pray that the storm pushes east, but this one is on you.

And you're right, I should have. But holding onto people's money, doesn't seem like the right way to go IMO.

They've been doing this for a very long time. They're not making this up as they go along. They have to balance a number of factors, including their shareholder obligations. All of the major mass-market lines are practicing what they've learned over decades with regard to what decision to make and when to make it and announce it. It may not seem like the right way to go to folks seeing things solely from the passenger's perspective, but did any passenger think it was the right way to go when airlines reduced seat pitch? Of course not. Yet doing so has been in part what's made the difference between business failures and strong healthy airlines.

I agree too. I start a new job in 2 weeks so I probably won't be able to request any vacation time for about a year. I live in FL and right now I don't even care about the cruise, I just want to go north and get out of the way. It bothers me that they have decided to hold onto my money for some undetermined amount of time until I can book another cruise. I would rather get refunded now so that I can evacuate without having to drain my savings.

Even if you were to get a refund, it would NOT show up on your credit card for at least a week or two, so sorry, you will need other money to evacuate. I wish you well.

First...please take my comments in the spirit meant...just giving straight information and opinion. I want to first pray for those on the islands just hit and for those in Florida. My family and I have you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Now, for those who will have their vacations interrupted....lord, I know how disappointing that can be. I hope that you all will be able to rearrange your schedule and get back on a cruise in the very near future. Safety first.

For those that are upset with RCCL because they wont give you a refund or whatever you want them to do.....first and please take this in a good spirited way, because that is how its meant....you planned a cruise during hurricane season. Stuff happens. They are willing to pay for another cruise and give you a 20% discount in the future. Some people may have gotten a full refund, but some people didn't. I know that cruise fare isn't easy to come by....but, hell....they are trying. Remember you booked during Hurricane season. I hope that it all works out. When your on the sea relaxing...all of this will be a distant memory.

Excellent post. People got an excellent rate over 9/11 and during hurricane season. There is always a reason for reduced rates.

How spoiled are you lot complaining about receiving refunds when potentially tens of thousands in Florida and the Caribbean are about to lose their homes. As long as it doesn't effect your on board credits, that's all that matters.

THANK YOU! I had the same thought reading the whining here

I understand that you are upset because everything has been turned upside down. Having said that, I'm not really getting the argument that it's about making money for them on the shortened cruise because they're refunding half the cost of the cruise in "refundable" onboard credit & the other half to whatever original form of payment was used. They're essentially giving the option of a free 5 day cruise. They aren't making any money on it, other than what may be purchased on board if one chooses to do so.

I understand that you are upset because everything has been turned upside down. Having said that, I'm not really getting the argument that it's about making money for them on the shortened cruise because they're refunding half the cost of the cruise in "refundable" onboard credit & the other half to whatever original form of payment was used. They're essentially giving the option of a free 5 day cruise. They aren't making any money on it, other than what may be purchased on board if one chooses to do so.

Of course they're making some money on it versus a completely cancelled cruise for them which means $0 income.