Hurricane Irma Watch

Family in Puerto Rico tell us 900k people are without power. But the south is in fine shape- so that would suggest that it's mostly around San Juan.

I know it sucks for Florida, but it's good for Puerto Rico that the storm has sped up a little and heads a little more north.

Thanks TIPS....pretty useless post for the 100's of people who's one week cruise vacation is on the brink of being ruined...:rolleyes:

Disgusted by Goes' post. Maybe you should spend your precious vacation helping out the people whose loved ones will be killed by Irma and whose houses have been destroyed and who have lost their lifetime of posessions.

I guarantee that if you actually lifted a finger to help the people whose LIVES are about to be destroyed by the largest hurricane recorded here, you'd probably have a more meaningful, memorable week than you ever will sitting on a cruise ship over-eating & over-drinking.

People are going to need you... if you're willing.

Disgusted by Goes' post. Maybe you should spend your precious vacation helping out the people whose loved ones will be killed by Irma and whose houses have been destroyed and who have lost their lifetime of posessions.

I guarantee that if you actually lifted a finger to help the people whose LIVES are about to be destroyed by the largest hurricane recorded here, you'd probably have a more meaningful, memorable week than you ever will sitting on a cruise ship over-eating & over-drinking.

People are going to need you... if you're willing.

You're ... on a cruise forum. If you want to link to specific charities or volunteer organizations in a slightly less aggressive way, I'm sure at least some people would appreciate the info.

We are on the same cruise and flying in on Friday also. I am all ready planning for a cancelled something. [emoji848]

I know it is disappointing to have a cruise cancelled or re-routed (has happened to me and to most of the seasoned cruisers). BUT... look at it this way... you are going to experience a world-class hurricane... something that NO AMOUNT OF MONEY CAN BUY!

4 days ahead of time, the stores are depleted of water, toilet paper, flashlights, raincoats and batteries. And Busch's Baked Beans. None in sight, anywhere. Price-gouging isn't happening because stores got depleted before they could raise prices. People are preparing for an extended time of being HUMAN, which is something any of us really ever experience anymore.

Be generous, help others.

This is a perfect reason not to book cruises during hurricane season...especially PEAK hurricane season.

Not a very helpful post. Are you saying that the cruise lines should not offer cruises in the Gulf and Atlantic during hurricane season (June to November).

Not a very helpful post. Are you saying that the cruise lines should not offer cruises in the Gulf and Atlantic during hurricane season (June to November).

Haha. Of course I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that this is a perfect reason not to book a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season...period. There is always going to be people who will book, because of the lower cost for the vacation, just many seasoned cruisers wont be the ones booking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Subscribing to this thread. We are scheduled on Majesty Friday Sep 15 so I am interested in what might be happening by then to PC and the Bahamas ports. It looks like the Bahamas are going to get hit hard as well.

I am concerned for all those involved in this monster hurricane in the islands and in the US. . I live in central Florida and have family and friends all over Florida and up the east coast so I am praying that Irma will go more and more easterly and become a "fish."

Thanks for all your information and updates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Majesty should return to PC middle of next week, you should be fine. Not Sure where you will go, though

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

My point was the cruise lines couldn't really drop off passengers with no flights.............even if they could get into port. Appears like an extended cruise for those on board.

I think that is why Majesty is taking passengers on their cruise away from port Canaveral

I'm on board of Allure of the Seas.

We are going to Falmouth tomorrow and Costa Maya on Saturday.

After that nobody knows. Hope we return to Fort Lauderdale soon..

Attached a message received today.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qqwa1ymaot3vni/20170906_225909.jpg?dl=0

Happy to be safe, but wish to be in land and very sad about this situation with Caribbean and Florida.

What I said was made up was this: "My point was the cruise lines couldn't really drop off passengers with no flights............" The national news did not say that. It isn't true, and as I alluded to, the Carnival statement that appears to have accidently leaked seemed to indicate that they are cutting some current voyages short and will be disembarking those passengers before the storm hits.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

She is correct in case of Majesty

Haha. Of course I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that this is a perfect reason not to book a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season...period. There is always going to be people who will book, because of the lower cost for the vacation, just many seasoned cruisers wont be the ones booking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's disingenuous to claim that people are *only* doing it for the cheaper fares.

There's also a seasoned cruiser in this very thread who is currently bouncing from one storm-affected cruise to another.

Subscribing to this thread. We are scheduled on Majesty Friday Sep 15 so I am interested in what might be happening by then to PC and the Bahamas ports. It looks like the Bahamas are going to get hit hard as well.

I am concerned for all those involved in this monster hurricane in the islands and in the US. . I live in central Florida and have family and friends all over Florida and up the east coast so I am praying that Irma will go more and more easterly and become a "fish."

Thanks for all your information and updates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on the same cruise. Also very concerned about how hard Freeport and even Port Canaveral may get hit. And us too, in central FL. It seems like with how much the models keep slightly varying east and west, we are still going to get some very ugly weather.

Once again, I wonder about the RCI meteorologist and his qualifications..,
The meteorologist is probably likewise assessing your worthiness as a passenger.

Your comment about the cruiseline meteorologist was out of line. This record-breaking storm has been a nightmare for all weather professionals to predict. A true nightmare, as they are all aware of the ignorant public who base every last-minute move on a MODEL. Educated folks know what the word "model" means. But the majority of society interprets the word "model" as "something we can sue and win millions if the model is wrong".

Here's a post from blue beards castle on st Thomas usvi the red roof hotel you see when cruising in to the island

This is a post from Jr Goldsmith:

So to give you all some insight St Thomas is completely devastated! The Castle was hit extremely hard! Roof is off Hilltop 1, and Villas, as well as one building in PP. other buildings roofs that are not off are in very bad shape. 245 plus sliders have been blown out, and pretty much every unit has taken in massive water in every building. The ceiling in the lobby is down for the most part. As I have heard up to this post everyone survived so that's all that matters, we can always re build, but it will take quite sometime! What people did not realize in a storm like this that hurricane shutters are great but if there wasn't and windows cracked open just a little but to get cross ventilation through the pressure was so massive it was like an explosion. Walls and ceilings are cracked and crumbled, the damage is massive at the castle to say the least. French town is gone, buildings and is under water, as well as the airport under water. The Hospital top two floors all windows blown out and roof is off. Storm surge is at 12 feet and rising, it is floor blocks past Main Street at this time of the post. There has been over a foot of water dumped, and half a foot more to fall over night. They are still receiving 75 mph gusts at this time. Please keep praying as this storm makes Hugo and Marilyn look like bad thunderstorm!

So I just called RCL asking to see if there were any other offers for switching from the Harmony on 9/9. They said they just worked something up about 10 minutes ago. They are going to have Harmony sail on the 12th, for 4 nights to Cozumel and back, they are offering 50% refund and 50% off future cruise.

They said since they are not canceling it, the only other offer was 100% future cruise credit....so if you paid $2000, you have $2000 credit towards another cruise, but no additional discount.

Not sure what I think about that.... on one had, seems like a nice offer, other than the fact I would have to pay another $250 for airfare difference...which I assume trip insurance would cover.... but still.

/

It's NOT Royal Caribbean's responsibility to reimburse YOU for the record-breaking act of nature.

Do you seriously think you DESERVE some reimbursement from a company because you purchased a weather-dependant product?

Why did you buy a plant ticket to a place that EVERY AMERICAN KNOWS is susceptible to disaster? WHY DID YOU DO IT? When NewOrleans flooded, every non_LA viewer asked "Why do people live in LA?" Why on earth do you think you can purchase a flight to a hurricane-prone state, and then think a multi-national business should reimburse you for doing that? Why are hundreds of people posting to this thread acting like they are entitled to first-hand info from the cruise-ship captain? There's a major disconnect. Everybody who buys a cruise needs to read the fine print. A cruise line will not keep you alive. Take responsibility FOR YOURSELF.

DO NOT DO STUPID THINGS AND THEN BLAME IT ON A COMPANY YOU BOUGHT FROM.

From RC's Facebook:

"NEW: The following sailings are being modified:

Allure of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

The new departure date will be on Wednesday, 9/13 and we will sail a 4-night itinerary to Nassau, Bahamas. We know this change is disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 50% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit"

50% off of a cruise that's 1/2 of the cruise that it was suppose to be... not sure I would take it if I was on that sailing.

Artemis908, is that because you think you can sue RCCL for the other 50% of the cruise, because you think they caused the hurricane? Do you seriously think you're entitled to some money back because you bought a bought a product that everybody in the SE knows is a huge risk? Artermis908, you should take a blessing when you see it. And quit buying products when you know they have enormous risk.

If I were a cruise line, I would advertise all cruises 25% in September. Every sane person knows that hurricane season peaks in September. I am shocked at the number of people posting in this forum believing the cruise company owes them a refund because Mother Nature created a horrendous storm.

Instead, I believe all those customers need to go to debtors prison and learn how to pay off debts of Mother Nature. Come back in 5 years and tell us if customers are still entitled to benefits when weather erupts.