Distance Charts

Canadiana

Does anyone know where I can find kilometer by kilometer lists of interesting features (villages, castles, locks, bridges, etc.) for the Rhine, Danube, Main and Moselle rivers? Viking used to have these on their website for download but they are no longer available.

Canadiana

That is a good question, and a tricky one! Those rivers are so long and local tourist sites so numerous that the best bet would really be to get such details in paper format from past cruisers or in an online shop for the indiviudal rivers. Unless another cruise company has these things online. I was given a small book on my river cruise describing the sites and I expect other companies do this too.

A nice site for the Rhine section "Romatic Rhine" is this: https://www.romantischer-rhein.de/en/what-to-see-and-do/culture/castles/map-overview-castles/ you can download the brochure on the left. There are no locks in this area and few bridges.

There is a map that might work for you but I do not know if it has the kilometres on it: THE LONG RHINE TOUR Bodensee, Basel, Loreley, Köln, Rotterdam by Rahmel Verlag

This could help you a bit with the Danube: http://www.danube-river.com/maps/danube

Hope someone has got a great map for you that they can spare!

notamermaid

I've a very good one from our Budapest to Nuremberg trip on Viking

they sold it on board

which may explain why they took it off the web site . .

you CAN follow any of these routes using Google Earth .... many landmarks and places of interest are highlighted with links to additional information ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

For our Rhine cruise a few years ago, I went old school and bought a hard copy of Baedaker's guidebook to the Rhine. It has a kilometer-by-kilometer schematic with a fairly detailed description of all the points of interest. I love maps and the book was the perfect companion for our cruise. The book is available on Amazon. I bought something similar for our Danube cruise next year...The Danube A River Guide by Rod Heikell. We'll see how useful it is. We've also purchased the Viking maps available in the ship's gift shop. They are okay but not as detailed as I would like.

Good morning,

The Rhein guide is excellent! Just what I have been looking for. Many thanks notamermaid !

My pleasure.

Canadiana, glad to read some past cruisers have been able to help. The Moselle has not been mentioned yet. For that river the publishers I have mentioned above also have a fold-out map: https://www.rahmel-verlag.de/en/cities_and_regions/produkte_list.php?rub_id=14 I have not checked but, again, probably available through amazon.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the valuable information. Some of the recommendations are available at Amazon Canada at about ten times the price they are in Europe but this is offset by the minimum order size and reluctance to ship to Canada.

Let's hope I can buy the information on our ship.

Canadiana