Best time of year for cruise in Japan?

top of the world

We are interested in doing a cruise around Japan and surrounding area and islands. We are wondering when is the best time of the year to go. Is it better to go earlier in the summer, like in May or June? Or is it better to go in the middle of summer like in July or August? Or is the fall better? Keeping in mind the temperature and possibility of serious storms. Thanks for your help, Lise

It's difficult to generalize as the climate in Japan varies greatly from the north to the south. Hokkaido in the north has a climate similar to the Pacific Northwest in that it snows quite a bit in winter, has spring rains, and moderate summer temps. However, you get into the southern islands and you have a tropical climate that can be very hot and humid for much of the year. Central Japan can also get very hot during the summer.

The very southern islands can be more effected by typhoons; although again not always easy to predict. I once flew into Kansai/Osaka in a mini-typhoon in early April, although we landed O.K., the island airport's bridge to the mainland was shut down due to the winds so we were stranded for several hours before they finally allowed some buses to go. Trains were allowed to depart until the next morning.

And of course beyond storm issues, there is always the possibility of earthquakes.

Also check the holiday calendar in case that may have impact on your travel--crowds, things closed, or interesting festivals. There are various websites that will provide that information. For example, Cherry blossom time is beautiful and usually peaks in April--earlier in the south and later in the north. However, it's also a time for crowds at any viewing sight. I've not visited in the fall but I've heard that it is beautiful then as well.

We did southern Japan last August and the first word I think of it HOT. The only place the temperature was comfortable was on Mt. Fuji. We enjoyed ourselves in spite of the oppressive heat and don't regret going, but if we do S. Japan again it will be in another month.

We did southern Japan last August and the first word I think of it HOT. The only place the temperature was comfortable was on Mt. Fuji. We enjoyed ourselves in spite of the oppressive heat and don't regret going, but if we do S. Japan again it will be in another month.

I was going to say the same thing. We were in Okinawa at the end of July and it was so hot. I am used to hot and humid but was surprised at how intense the heat was.

We were there this early to mid April and the weather was very nice...and the cherry blossoms were so pretty..to me that is what I associate with Japan...but I did see some pictures of Japan with the fall leaves and it did look beautiful. All our guides told us it is really hot there in the summer time. LuAnn

Thanks to all of you for this very valuable information. I was wondering how hot it would get in the summer in Okinawa and I got my answer. Now I know that spring or fall are much better. When is typhoon season? Does it vary or is it like our hurricane season pretty regular? Any other opinions are welcome.

Lise