My Pre-Cruise Information

geeman

Just thought I would share my cruise information. My girlfriend and myself are sailing on the Imagination from Port Miami on 12/24/05 to Ocos Rios and Grand Cayman. We are flying from Baltimore (5:30AM) to Charlotte (6:51AM) and then Charlotte (7:55AM) to Miami (9:55AM). One concern is if the plane is delayed for some reason. I know Carnival usually departs around 4:00PM. So I'm thinking if we get to Miami on time we should have no problem getting from the airport to the port in 6 hours.

I have booked the Nativeway excursion in Grand Cayman. I have heard great things about this exucrsion. I was thinking about booking Jamacia (Dunn Fall's) through Carnival, any recommendations? I have heard that some parts of Jamacia are kind of iffy so I don't think I want to be out wandering around looking for an excursion. My girlfriend says she would feel safer booking through Carnival, what are your thoughts?

Let me know if anyone else is sailing on the Imagination on 12/24.

Thanks for any comments.

Derek

Is there anyway you can fly in the night before? After reading these boards I would never consider flying in the day of my cruise I would be a nervous wreck. :D

It's too late, I think...Plus American Airlines wants $700 per person for a flight at 7:11PM on 12/23...Yiks!

The only concern I would have is as you said a delay. Remember, you are flying in Christmas Eve. You could get delayed more than 6 hours due to weather. It has been known to happen.

I have not been to the ports you will be visiting so I can't help you there. Hope you and your girlfriend have wonderful "Christmas Cruise"

It's too late, I think...Plus American Airlines wants $700 per person for a flight at 7:11PM on 12/23...Yiks!

No worries, I've flown twice on the day of the cruise and have my next one booked the same way. Just make sure you have good travel insurance in case the unforseen happens.

As long as you are prepared for the delays-- jsut in case information.

Do a check on what flights are available (with any airlines) along the same time frame as yours.

This way if you miss something or something is cancelled--you will know where to go..what gate..etc to see about getting on.

---

Go to the port of calls board and read about Vendors under the Jamica port. There are a few vendors that do this tour for a lot cheaper then Carnival...and also get you to the falls before it becmes very crowded.

I was thinking about booking Jamacia (Dunn Fall's) through Carnival, any recommendations? I have heard that some parts of Jamacia are kind of iffy so I don't think I want to be out wandering around looking for an excursion. My girlfriend says she would feel safer booking through Carnival, what are your thoughts?

Derek

Hey Derek - Like Serene said, make sure you have good back up plans in place, in case the unforeseen happens and like Duck said, have good travel insurance. Small price to pay instead of missing out on the entire cost of the cruise if you'd miss the ship!

In the future, I would suggest going in to port one day early at least. Then, sometimes you can fly in to a different airport that can sometimes be cheaper and just catch a cab or rent a car for probably less of the difference of flying to the more expensive airport. I have flown in the same day and several days ahead...let me tell you, several days ahead is WAY better!! You aren't started off your cruise trying to come down from being so nervous about getting there in time!!

Definitely check over on the Jamaica boards and see what kind of information/suggestions that people have over there. They can tell you who to book thru and who to stay away from. Personally, I am with your girlfriend on this one, just from some of the information that I have had from people that I know that have been to/stayed in Jamaica. Our ship will be stopping in Jamaica in March and I think I am just going to enjoy Margaritaville...not going to venture much further! Someday I will see the Falls, but it isn't on the priority list right now! And then again...I have a 111 days to change my mind and maybe take an excursion with CCL if they come up with any new ones!! I don't care, under safety conditions, if CCL's excursions are more expensive, I'm willing to pay it if they know where we're at/who we're with! :cool:

Have a GREAT cruise!!!!

My DW and I have been to Dunn's River Falls a couple of times. The Falls themselves are fun. That said, I would recommend you book a Falls excursions through Carnival. Do not book it independently. We had an experience in Ocho Rios with a so-called "reputable cab driver" that has frosted us on Ocho Rios forever. I almost ended up in jail because of him shaking us down after our trip to the Falls. So if you go to the Falls, book through Carnival. Just my opinion.

I would deifinetly try to fly into Miami the day before the cruise ship departs. My husband and I went on a cruise last August and we almost missed the thing. We only had a half hour to spare before the ship departed Miami. I was a nervous wreck. I was so afraid that we were going to miss the cruise. The ticket agent for Continental Airlines, flying from Newark, told us that our flight had been cancelled and everything else flying into Miami was sold out. How unfair!!!! Fortunately, there were 2 seats available to West Palm Beach which is about 1.5 hours from Miami. We had no option but to take this flight. If for some reason you miss your flight to Miami, try flying into a surrounding location (Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach). The cost of transportantion will be more to the port, but the cost is not worth missing your cruise.

I hope that you and your girlfriend have a great christmas cruise. My husband and I are booked on a second cruise, Carnival Glory, that leaves December 17, 2005. This time we are flying in 2 days before the ship departs. We have learned our lesson. We will be ending our cruise, when you are beginning your cruise. How sad . . . . . :(

Have fun!!!! :)

I have had flights on the morning of my cruise in the past, however, I booked those through the cruiseline. It was actually cheaper to do the cruise add-on air those times and flying early was not an option. I had no problems with my flights yet I still much prefer to fly in the day before. I find that I am much more relaxed this way.

Serene has a very good suggestion - check out other airlines and flights so that just in case you have a problem you know where else you can go to look for a flight. I have already done this for my next cruise even though I am flying in a day early. I have also already checked out flights for the day before so that in the event a snowstorm is forecast for the Friday of my flight I will switch and fly out Thursday night instead. I am flying out of LGA and have looked at JFK and EWR in addition as I can always get a cab and get to the next airport.

I was in Grand Cayman in April and used Nativeway for the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. They were fabulous! I wrote a review over on the Ports of Call boards and you can find many reviews there.

I have been to Jamaica several times on land vacations. The falls are an experiencethat I enjoyed. When Ocho Rios was a port of call this past April I just got off the ship for a while and spent some time at Margaritaville and had a blast! I have had some wonderful experiences with tour operaters/taxi drivers in Jamaica and also some not so great ones. Again, you can read a lot of info on the Ports of Call Board. Personally, if I were planning on a tour in Jamaica while on a cruise I would definetly book through the cruiseline. This is based on my personal experience of even reputable operators having "car" trouble and I would simply be more comfortable using the ships tour.

Have a great trip!!!!

A group of ten of us visited Ocho Rios in September on the Rhapsody of the Seas(RCI). We used Peat Taylor tours. He was excellent. Our group skipped Dunn's River and tubed the White river instead, but Peat will customize his guiding to whatever you want. He took us through Fern Gully (the rainforest), to see the countryside, to the Wassai Art pottery factory, to a Jamaican Preschool (the kids were so cute), to eat at the Ruins restaurant (beautiful landscaping), and then tubing or shopping (our group split up at this point. I would feel 100% confident in recommending him. He did our group right. http://www.geocities.com/peattaylor/

I would deifinetly try to fly into Miami the day before the cruise ship departs.

I don't think going the day before is possible. I guess I just have to hope we make it in time. I did buy insurance. I appreciate all of the advice. I'm booking GC through Nativeway and I'll do Dunns through Carnival based on the responses.

Thanks!

I don't think going the day before is possible. I guess I just have to hope we make it in time. I did buy insurance. I appreciate all of the advice. I'm booking GC through Nativeway and I'll do Dunns through Carnival based on the responses.

Thanks!

Watch the weather channel for the areas that your flight is originating out of not just your hometown for the day before. If Charlotte (I'm assuming USAirways), Philly, or Pittsburgh are forcasting snowstorms, call a couple days before and try and change your flight. I've had luck with this and have done this.

I ended up in Aruba a day early and avoided a major blizzard and headache by stayine ahead of a blizzard.

Call the airlines from the airport in addition to waiting in line at the airport. You'll jump in to the front of the line while everyone else is waiting in line if you can get someone on the phone.

If your flight is delayed, find out what area airports do have flights.

Be creative.

Be polite.

We flew in to San Juan the day before our cruise a couple of years ago. That night, Mt. Serrat erupted, and ash filled the sky. Planes were diverted and would not fly through the ash, causing 700 people to miss the ship. Most of them caught up with us in Aruba, but they missed part of the cruise because of it. Now, if we have to fly to the port of debarkation, we ALWAYS fly the day before!

Yes do check whatever flights are available! Last Christmas I was supposed to leave on the 23rd from Toledo to fly to Tampa, visit relatives and then make my cruise on the 25th. I knew a snowstorm was coming in and went to the airport early on the 22nd to see if I could fly out. Yes they said for another $450! I waited and everything shut down. Finally made it to Atlanta on the the 24th. Spent Christmas Eve in the Atlanta Airport and finally was able to make it to Tampa Christmas morning for the cruise.

What really was the final straw was when I got home and had a message from Delta on the 22nd saying "we've changed our minds. You can go down early at no cost!"

Now in winter I might go down several days early!

Becky

Archived