Princess Train experience on Land . Better train from Whittier to Denali vs Whittier

Moxiefurball

i traveled in 2012 on a princess southbound cruisetour starting in Fairbanks . After touring Fairbanks, Denali, and Mt Mckinley lodge we left on the blue/yellow alaskatrain from Talkeetna to Whittier to pick up ship. Our train was not a double decker but a single level dome car where we sat at tables seating for 4. There was no special Princess double decker car with the usual airplane/ train seats all facing forward with an option to go to a special dining car . This ride was approx 4 hours

My brother just returned from his northbound Alaska cruisetour where they took the train from Whittier all the way to the Denali lodge . They had the double decker special Princess cars with really comfortable looking seats and an alternative dining car . This trip was 8 hrs . So my question for anyone is does Princess use the double decker only for the longer train routes ? If so next time I'll do the northbound cruisetour instead of south

The Whittier/Denali train is 10 hours. Princess is using a variety of trains, including the table seating 4 person set up along with contracted borrowing from HAL etc with forward facing seats. I saw both trains in use at Denali when I was there for 5 days in June, several times. There is no way to determine this season what train you would get. I was not above to pin down the direction the seating was going with Princess, and speculate, knowing Alaska, it will be a slower process.