question about cancelling cruise for sept 9th out of fort lauderdale?

Tazewell2cruise

We purchased carnivals vacation protection plan and don't want to risk getting caught at a hotel to ride out hurricane.We are scheduled to fly in sept 8th.I called carnival and they couldn't assure us we wouldn't get caught at hotel.Does anyone know when we can safetly cancel to get our refund back?We are first time cruisers and not big travelers.Thank you for any help

If you are cancelling due to weather concerns it's not a qualifying reason for a full refund. You would have to wait and apply for a refund if you airline flights were cancelled and couldn't get rescheduled or if carnival cancelled the cruise. What you need for this is 'cancel for any reason' coverage. Since it's not a covered reason, just a preference on your part. Typically that will get you a future cruise credit if some sort but not a full refund. I don't know if there will be any compensation on your airline tickets.

Best you can do now is call the insurance company and see what you would get back. If it's not acceptable, wait and see. If Irma reaches Florida on the 8th I would think your flight would get cancelled and you'd have a better claim for a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We purchased carnivals vacation protection plan and don't want to risk getting caught at a hotel to ride out hurricane.We are scheduled to fly in sept 8th.I called carnival and they couldn't assure us we wouldn't get caught at hotel.Does anyone know when we can safetly cancel to get our refund back?We are first time cruisers and not big travelers.Thank you for any help

Carnival has the worst insurance and they are not very helpful with info.

The plan has a paragraph that states"Other covered Events"stating,among other things that will be covered.National Oceanic and atmospheric Administration issues,A severe weather Warning or watch en route to,or at,your port of embarkment within 48 hours of your scheduled departure.What do you all think?

'

There may be a technical out as a Hurricane Watch may be up within 48 hours of your departure:

7. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issues a Severe Weather Warning or Watch enroute to, or at, the port of embarkation within 48 hours of your scheduled departure;

You should probably call the underwriter of the Carnival policy at 1-800-331-2796 in the morning to verify this would be true, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see one up by the evening of the 7th.

Interesting, we bought Carnival's Ins for our Jan Cruise. The Agent said I could be having a bad hair day and I would be refunded everything but the deposit.

That doesn't sound very technical on your coverage. ;) If you cancel prior to final payment, your refund will vary based on whether or not you are early saver. If you cancel after final payment you coverage will vary depending on how far out you are. What I believe she may have been referring to is "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Per carnivals website: " If you need to cancel for any reason not covered by the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate."

So, no, you won't get everything but the deposit "refunded" if you have a bad hair day. But you will be getting 75% (which could be everything but the deposit depending on how much your fare is) as a future cruise credit, if you are having a bad hair day.

The plan has a paragraph that states"Other covered Events"stating,among other things that will be covered.National Oceanic and atmospheric Administration issues,A severe weather Warning or watch en route to,or at,your port of embarkment within 48 hours of your scheduled departure.What do you all think?

'

It totally depends on the track and if they add FLL to a hurricane watch by Thursday. The storm is likely to still be in the area of Cuba on Saturday so my guess is the timing won't work out unless the track changes to go more north.

Just called carnival protection plan office, very unhelpful, but I did find out that once severe warning,watches are issued,48 hours prior to cruise I can file a claim.She was interested in helping in anyway.I guess I will file a claim then.

Unfortunately, you couldn't file a claim today in anticipation of what you believe will happen in the future. Until all of the conditions are met, any claim would be denied. Wait until 48 hours before the cruise, if there is an appropriate watch or warning in place, then cancel and file your claim. Otherwise, it is kind of like filing an auto insurance claim because you expect to be in an accident tomorrow.

Just called carnival protection plan office, very unhelpful, but I did find out that once severe warning,watches are issued,48 hours prior to cruise I can file a claim.She was interested in helping in anyway.I guess I will file a claim then.

I don't think you will have an issue with that. My guess is that watches will be up late Wednesday/early Thursday based on current timings.