Ports AFTER a major Hurricane

topspin1267

It really does depend on how much damage. We skipped Cozumel one cruise because a hurricane damaged the pier to the point cruise ships could not dock. Hopefully, the islands will have only minor damage and will be back to normal quickly.

We also experienced this incident. The docks were severely damaged.

Following. We leave for the Eastern Caribbean in 6 1/2 weeks.

Couple of thing.

Hoping this cruise goes east. We have never gone east. All our cruises have been western. And we are going west in April.

We are taking the Carnival Gives Back tour in Amber Cove. I'm looking forward to that, because I think the beauty of a culture is in its people. Right now , the DR needs our help more than ever.

There are so many variables, we have been to Cozumel the day before and then 60 days after. The destruction was immense and it took years to recover. All that said, the variables are huge in the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Cozumel a few months after hurricane Wilma. The pier had been destroyed and we had to tender in. The thing I remember was that the damage to buildings was very apparent and extensive. It was heart breaking to see how the merchants had to jury rig displays of what was left of their merchandise. The smell of dampness from the flooding was very apparent. My heart went out to everyone who had gone through this devastating event.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

We were in Nassau last October just a few days after Matthew hit. If I remember correctly, Matthew hit on Thursday and we docked on the following Monday. It was a mess! Pieces of siding were missing on Atlantis, homes were missing roofs or just destroyed, there was still debris scattered all around downtown and several stores were without power. Away from the tourist areas, power was VERY spotty.

Like others have said, the residents of the island were doing everything they could to get the mess cleaned up. They were also very happy to see the cruise ships and did their best to be upbeat and helpful.

Following. We sail the Veendam in December. Will stop in St. Maarten and San Juan. I feel guilty thinking about how Irma affects me because so many people have already lost so much and here I am worried about a vacation! Yet, I've started thinking about Florida and how Irma will impact Port Everglades.

Following. We sail the Veendam in December. Will stop in St. Maarten and San Juan. I feel guilty thinking about how Irma affects me because so many people have already lost so much and here I am worried about a vacation! Yet, I've started thinking about Florida and how Irma will impact Port Everglades.

How is the Veendam really? We read so many negative things including that it was to be decommissioned in 2018 that we bailed on a cruise on it.

Here's a shot of the port at St Maarten from yesterday. The Dutch navy refers to the port as "utterly destroyed".

21314662_1439789052741502_8051496396849728080_n.jpg?oh=0705a1ea4fd87b7d1f203f0ad4f968c1&oe=5A19D44F

No doubt st Martin is destroyed which is tragic in many ways so don't get what I am going to say wrong.....as I love st Martin having been there 3x since 2015 on a cruise and getting to know some shopkeepers etc ....all lovely people ...

But ...imho...the above photo is photoshopped

The top part and the bottom part are not the same

It looks like the bottom part is real but the top part is from a painting or map or something depicting 18th century st Martin.....and does not look in place

Sorry but that's how I see it. Ymmv

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

No doubt st Martin is destroyed which is tragic in many ways so don't get what I am going to say wrong.....as I love st Martin having been there 3x since 2015 on a cruise and getting to know some shopkeepers etc ....all lovely people ...

It looks like the bottom part is real but the top part is from a painting or map or something depicting 18th century st Martin.....and does not look in place

I noticed the difference in shading as well but put it down to post storm haze. Also, I have no reason to suspect the source of any trickery and photos of the area at different angles from the Dutch Defense Ministry today show the identical damage. The only difference being that the water by the actual piers is a little lower in the Dutch shots.

The top part almost looks like an oil painting...probably a stock photo they released

You can actually see the line where the photo was spliced

At least to my eye anyway

It's probably the best they could do considering the damage

I've seen video and it shows actual footage of the devastation

If you don't believe these islands are devastated and a wreak than check out instragram on pictures of the island nations.

If you don't believe these islands are devastated and a wreak than check out instragram on pictures of the island nations.

And where did I say I don't believe they are devastated?

I said the picture posted....looks photoshopped

We have no clue where that photo is from or when it was taken

Parts of it look like st Martin port I agree but again....where is the news source that this pix is from?

Again.....I never said st Martin wasn't devastated...I said the photo looked photoshopped....meaning the photo is fake....not that the devastation is fake

I also said I saw video which showed the damage and imho looks authentic

This photo doesn't look authentic ....but don't confuse that to mean I don't believe st Martin was devastated.....just take it to mean that particular photo looks fake

Edited by Crusin6

this is a quality video of the immediate aftermath https://youtu.be/KwOZDaM4j_k

this is a quality video of the immediate aftermath https://youtu.be/KwOZDaM4j_k

Your video won't load but the video a friend of mine posted on FB is real and shows such horrible devastation that I can't even imagine how long it will take to rebuild

The photo though still doesn't look real...it looks photoshopped.

From CC news page - The sland of St. Maarten and St. Martin suffered a direct hit from Hurricane Irma and the damage appears to be immense.

Such a shame as the island is so wonderful!!!

Of course that doesn't change my opinion of the photo

I'm very worried we sail September 23, to Grand Turk, San Juan and St Thomas these islands were hit very hard by Irma. Called Carnival today and they said check email about changes to Itinerary. :(

I saw an item on one of the cruise critics pages that states the carnival fascination is still cruising sep 10 out of san juan. it did not state if it would go to all of the ports. I would hope those on the cruise ships post experiences and photos.