Tipping

sandradeen

It goes to the room steward, waiter, bus boy or girl, etc. I would take some one's for the room service person and I even tipped the room steward for his extra effort.

Drink tab has a built in gratuity, but again, if someone goes above and beyond, tip them extra.

Hello...I was wondering if anyone can tell me who the $10 per day tip goes to? Does it cover room steward and room service as well?

Thanks

I believe it covers the room steward and waiter/busboys. Room service is extra (usually per order..).

So am I correct in thinking it does NOT cover room service?

I believe this is what I found on a couple of cruise lines.

Correct, it DOES NOT cover room service delivery. One or two dollars is appreciated.

They pool all tips from the daily ones to all ship board auto gratuities and split them among them all. So in a sense, yes it does. But if you want timely, friendly serve, a dollar goes a long way!

They pool all tips from the daily ones to all ship board auto gratuities and split them among them all. So in a sense, yes it does. But if you want timely, friendly serve, a dollar goes a long way!
The $10 per person per day does not cover room service delivery people.

How much do you tip the concerige. We are going to be in a suite on the Majesty. I have never sailed before.

That's a very good question, and some wonder why I like auto tipping/service charges? To be honest, I have no idea...........

What I would do, is tip the concerige $1 for every thing you ask them to do. Reservations for dinner: $1 per table, Tender pass: $1 per pass, Reservations for the Spa: $1 per person, you get my idea? The same goes for the butler.

And another idea, instead of carrying a wallet full of $1 bills, carry a pocket full of $1 coins. It will save alot of time digging out your wallet to get a single bill, just reach into your pocket and take out a coin.

Just about every pair of slacks and jeans have a front pocketl

How much do you tip the concerige. We are going to be in a suite on the Majesty. I have never sailed before.

Tipping is,of course a very peronal thing and it is up to you. We have tipped the concierge as little as $20 and as much as $100. It depends on how much you use him/her. AS has been mentioned tip the room service person a couple of dollars or sometimes only $1.00 if all they bring you is morning coffee. As for the $10 per day, we normally tip a little extra here and there as that is pretty min but you do not have to and many do not. Of course if you eat in Le Bistro you will want to leave a little for the service persons. We usually leave either $5 or $10 in cash. Hope this helps you some, the tipping issue can get pretty sticky at times. NMnita

Great idea about the coin. I will get some. I thought that sounded like the right amount. If they do something above and beyond I could tip more. Thanks

The $1 coins might turn out like $2 bills. The crew hates them. Since they are not common nobody in port or back home wants to take them. If that is all they get they are happy but standard US greenbacks are the perfered method of a little extra.

Maybe in a foreign port noone accepts them, but everyone has to take them in America, it's legal tender. In the Dallas area, all DART and T buses and trains and ticket machines run on these $1 coins. So they aren't useless.

And they are much less trouble to handle. Ever watch a cashier make change?

How many times do they recount the bills? Are any sticking? Once or twice is my usual experience. Then check out how many times do they recount the coins? Never!

The tips actually only go to some of your crew members not all the wisest thing is to ask that special crew member that you want to tip and make sure that you put there name in the comment cards. Also remember that alot of these crew members do not make a whole lot and they do count on their tips to send home to families. There infact are people who are not in the tipping pool. The Hosti, The People that work in the gym as well as the youth staff and many more.

Nothing in this thread really comes as a surprise to me, as I read it all last year prior to embarking on my first cruise. I ordered roomservice the last morning and tipped $5 (there were 3 of us and we ordered just about everything on the card). The weird thing was that he seemed really surprised, and almost awkward, at my handing him the money. I thought perhaps it was because I am young (and maybe people my age don't usually tip?), but then someone I spoke to after my trip told me it is NOT customary to tip for roomservice.

Now I'm all confused...

Archived