Norwegian Star or Tui Discovery 2

Harleychs

Hi, we are new to cruising and are looking at cruising the Adriatic and Greece next October. There are 2 cruises on offer one on Norwegian Star and one on Tui Discovery 2, can anyone provide any advice as to these ships. We are also unsure as to whether or not to book a balcony cabin or inside cabin. I have been told that you are rarely in your cabin so not really worth it and to save the extra money for excursions etc but is it worth it for that bit of extra luxury. Many thanks

The Tui Discovery 2 is a Thomson ship with mainly British passengers. I assume that food and entertainment are geared towards their tastes. Maybe a ship with mainly British passengers is more formal than NCL ships. NCL are known for their freestyle ambiance - dining times, clothing styles.

Compare the price with the service charge included. What else is included?

As to cabin selection, select what you can comfortably afford. We spend a lot of time on our balcony away from the crowds. More outgoing personalities enjoy hanging out in the public areas.

I've been with both lines... for your first cruise, I suggest the Thomson package, for several reasons:

Thomson come as a package, with flights on their own aeroplanes from local airports. This means that you're in their hands from the moment you check in at the airport until you return to the same spot. If you go with NCL, they may book your flight but it will be to their own convenience- we once took all day both coming and returning from Newcastle to Barcelona, for a flight which should have taken 2 1/2 hours at most, because we were booked with NCL via Amsterdam.

Most cruise ships like you to be off the ship in the early morning- on Thomson, you remain on board and use the facilities, food etc, until the coach arrives to take you to your flight- this can be in the late afternoon. It's a very smooth, well organised routine.

NCL often charge a low price, but then add on large tips, especially those on drinks which is automatic and can be as much as 15% for anything bought at the bar- even a can of pop.

Thomson has no tipping whatsoever, and bar prices are pub prices.

There's no dress code on NCL... there is a small one on Thomson, when many passengers like to dress up for Captain's night, but those who prefer not to, eat in the buffet instead.

If the ports are similar, and ones you want to visit, then have a serious look at Thomson's offerings.

About balconies- we're easy these days, having always had balconies on our first cruises. Now, we Google ship plans, and look for inside or outside ones which are near an open deck, so that you can be outside within seconds.

Enjoy choosing! :)

Actually NCL DOES have something of a dress code. For men, you dress in long pants and shirt with a collar in the steakhouse, Le Bistro and the larger MDR. Ladies wear maxi dresses, sun dresses, pants or skirt and a nice top. Other restaurants allow casual attire at all times and there are no real formal nights, but there is Nowegian night out where you can dress up and they have photographers out on those evenings. For NCL, you should book your own air and a pre cruise hotel for 1 night before your cruise. The other thing you need to know is that NCL has tipping ($13.99 per person per day for Mini-suites and below and $16.99 per day per person for suites Penthouse and above). NCL charges an auto gratuity on drinks and I believe it is also on specialty dining checks as well. You cannot remove the gratuities. If you have an issue with service, you must address it onboard and it will be documented and if it is not resolved, then and only then you can contact NCL corporate for a refund of gratuities which is at their discretion based on their investigation of the matter. You can bring as much wine aboard as you want on boarding day only but must pay $15 per bottle corkage. The typical age range on NCL will skew younger - mostly people from age 25 through 65. For us, we liked the freedom of no scheduled dining times, the suite life on NCL - they do suites better than any other line (Penthouse and above), the butler service (room service is free for suite guests except alcohol in suites lower than Owner's suites) and not needing to get dressed up after spending a whole day touring. I also liked having a VCR in our suite and the luxury bathroom with tub and separate walk in shower and 2 sinks and walk in closet.

Depending on how much you drink and your willingness or not to tip, I would simply compare the prices of both cruises for equivalent cabins and pick the best value for you.

Excellent précis from Jo.

Thomson doesn't compare to the glitz of NCL

But since you've got nothing to compare, you'll be very impressed with a first cruise on Thomson.

And far far better value-for-money than NCL - for instance note the comments about NCL's high daily charges & high drinks prices (and 18% drinks service charge on top), compared to Thomson's tips-included and provincial pub prices.

And yes, Thomson use their own or chartered Thos Cook aircraft, to provide regional departures, seamless transfers, and on your last day the run of the ship (other than the cabin) until your airport transfer is called, late in the day. With most other cruises, incl NCL, you're rushed off the ship by about 9am regardless of your flight time, to make room for the next influx.

NCL keep their headline cruise prices as low as they can, then nickel-and-dime passengers on the ship.

And constantly sell, sell, sell.

They're well known for this in the cruise industry.

For instance they major on premium-pay restaurants and constantly hound passengers to book at them.

All very tiresome.

Cabin choice?

Some folk feel claustrophobic in an inside cabin - quite disorientating, no natural light, don't know whether its day or night, wet or sunny, in port or at sea.

Ocean-view cabin (large fixed window) or balcony cabin? That's a matter of doing your sums & choosing your priorities.

A balcony is great for a morning cuppa, late evenings & such. But your cruise is unlikely to include more than one, mebbe two, sea days so there's a limit to the time you can spend on the balcony. Hiding away on your balcony is also quite unsociable - and Thomson ships are known for the friendly village atmosphere on-board.

Just MHO, as always

JB :)

Sailed the N.Star over (US)Thanksgiving and the start of the Xmas season. There was no glitz! the decorations, before and after holiday decorating, were dismal -- old, faded, pre-school type diecuts stuck randomly to the walls... So bad it was humorous. That was 2013 so maybe there has been a sea-change (see what I did there?) but unless someone with a very recent experience can vouch otherwise, I would take the Tui. Heck, I would take a ferry first!