9/10 Bermuda Cruise NCL Breakaway

lovelyseitz

Hi! My family and I are sailing on the Breakaway to Bermuda this Sunday. We'd be in Bermuda Wednesday-Friday but with Hurricane Jose looking to close in on Bermuda on Wednesday or Thursday I'm not sure what exactly to do. Obviously the path can change and no one can predict the weather. We did purchase travel insurance so we can cancel if we choose. Obviously the ship wouldn't sail there and put people in harms way but I also don't want to go to another location. Six years ago a hurricane hit Bermuda and we were rerouted to the Bahamas and Port Canaveral. We found out the itinerary change at the dock. I can't imagine we'd sail south as Irma is causing catastrophic damage in the Caribbean. Could the Breakaway go north to Nova Scotia? That would require packing completely differently. I'm not trying to be insensitive and I'm worried for my family in Florida. But as I'm sailing with my husband, 2 year old and parents I want to be prepared for whatever.

Last year, in a similar situation, the decision on destination of the Breakaway was made after embarkation due to changing weather conditions. I know that is no comfort, but even if they post an announcement on an itinerary change, there is always the chance of a revision on Day of departure. Hurricanes don't always cooperate.

You would have to have "cancel for any reason" insurance for a refund.

Travel insurance would reimburse us. We just need to cancel by Saturday. That's according to NCL. What makes to think otherwise?

Unless you paid a premium for cancel for any reason insurance, you can't just cancel, for any reason. Most provide coverage for certain situations, illness, death, injury - and will require documentation.

Unless you paid a premium for cancel for any reason insurance, you can't just cancel, for any reason. Most provide coverage for certain situations, illness, death, injury - and will require documentation.

Hmm. I'm guessing we did pay the premium then. I'll definitely look into that. We've been talking with the same employee that helped book our cruise and he specifically said as long as we make our decision by Saturday we could cancel without penalty. I really don't want to have to cancel though.

I was on that cruise last year. These decisions are going to be last minute, based on the tracks of both storms the next 48 hours.

As for Canada ... last year there were no ports that could take the Breakaway on top of the already committed visiting ships, and we were too big for smaller ports. It was October and there were a lot of ships up there. Maybe it is early enough and fewer ships yet. Pack for alternatives. If you don't want to go to Canada and do have cancel for any reason, you just have to decide how much uncertainty you can live with. Be aware you may have long hold times on the phone so call this afternoon.

Last year, in a similar situation, the decision on destination of the Breakaway was made after embarkation due to changing weather conditions. I know that is no comfort, but even if they post an announcement on an itinerary change, there is always the chance of a revision on Day of departure. Hurricanes don't always cooperate.

You would have to have "cancel for any reason" insurance for a refund.

Like I said previously, we've had our entire itinerary changed and we really didn't care. We just wanted to go on vacation and we had a blast. But this time is a little different. It's pretty scary. What destination did you go to on the Breakaway then? I've heard it's too large of a boat to go north but that could be a rumor.

I was on that cruise last year. These decisions are going to be last minute, based on the tracks of both storms the next 48 hours.

As for Canada ... last year there were no ports that could take the Breakaway on top of the already committed visiting ships, and we were too big for smaller ports. It was October and there were a lot of ships up there. Maybe it is early enough and fewer ships yet. Pack for alternatives. If you don't want to go to Canada and do have cancel for any reason, you just have to decide how much uncertainty you can live with. Be aware you may have long hold times on the phone so call this afternoon.

Thanks, Bill! So you did go north to Canada? Which ports could the Breakaway dock at? We don't want to cancel but I also don't want to go north, at all. At least not with a 2 year old haha!

We were in Bermuda when Hurricane Fabian was bearing down on the island several years ago. They pulled us out to sea one day early to get us out of harms way and protect the ship from damage being docked. So we had an extra sea day. :) They plied us with free mimosa's and bloody mary's that whole sea day! Oh Boy!!! LOL

We could not go to canada because the ports were full enough there was no room for a ship our size. We went to canaveral and nassau which had both just been hit by hurricanes. Weather and port times and activities were... Less than desirable. It was a nice 7 day sea trip really!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on the same trip to Bermuda this Sunday. Now that I see Jose is creeping north, I think we may cancel also. I do not want to go to Canada, we packed bathing suits not Parka's :) I do have cancel for any reason insurance. Fact is if the cruiseline cancels not only do we get a full refund but 50% off next booking. I will wait until tomorrow to make the call and watch the storm.

We cruised on the dawn last year to Bermuda when hurricane Matthew and Nicole were active. We never thought they would bring us to Bermuda but they did. Got in early on Sunday and on Tuesday am we left early due to both storms heading to us. It was quite a ride that first day out but beautiful after that. Great trip.

Premium from NCL will cover you...I sailed (NCL Escape)8/26 - 9/2 and did purchase Premium. Aug - Sept should be a Must as you never know.

Also, these Port cities will have sanitary issues and God knows about food.