USAA Travel Insurance

jmdx2

I've purchased travel insurance through USAA exactly once for a cruise. After receiving short notice orders to Iraq and subsequent required training beforehand that forced the cancellation of a cruise, they refused to reimburse any of my fare, stating that a 'work-related' cancellation wasn't covered. But they were kind enough to refund what I paid for the insurance. :rolleyes: Luckily, American Airlines and Carnival were gracious enough to refund my non-refundable tickets and cruise fare upon receipt of proof that I was deploying. While I have had excellent experiences with every other USAA product, their travel insurance was terrible. My experience only.

Wow, that's amazing from USAA of all companies. When I first joined USAA I was only eligible as a dependent of an Officer since my father was an officer in the Navy. Now I am as they say, a member for life as is my ex, my husband, my kids, etc who have not served. Thank you for your service and I am glad that American and Carnival did right.

I've purchased travel insurance through USAA exactly once for a cruise. After receiving short notice orders to Iraq and subsequent required training beforehand that forced the cancellation of a cruise, they refused to reimburse any of my fare, stating that a 'work-related' cancellation wasn't covered. But they were kind enough to refund what I paid for the insurance. :rolleyes: Luckily, American Airlines and Carnival were gracious enough to refund my non-refundable tickets and cruise fare upon receipt of proof that I was deploying. While I have had excellent experiences with every other USAA product, their travel insurance was terrible. My experience only.

If it wasn't covered, then it was because you chose one of the policies that did not include that type of coverage.

My recent experience in purchasing plans shows that two of the three options specifically consider military duty or leave revocation as a covered reason for cancellation...the other option did not include that coverage and is the less expensive policy. This less expensive policy gives the purchaser an option to purchase cancel for work as a covered reason for an extra fee per person.

Your situation would have been covered if you had the correct policy or option purchased.

If it wasn't covered, then it was because you chose one of the policies that did not include that type of coverage.

Actually, I don't think that Travel Insured (via USAA) has that as a covered reason, even on their "Gold" (top tier) plan. That's what I purchase (I want their medical coverage to be primary so that I don't have to deal with my health insurance first), and that was the policy I checked.

I do agree gliles that it is a little surprising that Travel Insured doesn't provide such coverage given that they are affiliated with USAA. It seems like an obvious thing that USAA would require their travel insurance partner to cover, but given that they are a third-party company, they get to make their own rules.

Today