Stuck in Hurricane aftermath - Can't get to Ship!

robbysbabe

I personally am a frequent cruiser however this is for a friend...

We are here in Florida, a "little storm" named Irma came to visit. We are now part of FEMA's documented storm victims.

We (and my friends) are without power and have home damage. They were scheduled to leave on Baltic Cruise this Saturday - ALL flights were cancelled/rearranged - my friends can not leave if they wanted to!!

Now I know ALL about "cruise protection" - please, lets's have some sympathy - leave it out of the comments....

NCL told them to "pound sand" for any refunds or credit what so ever -

Any sympathetic advice/contacts etc. they should speak with in regards to NCL being a little more understanding during the nightmare they are already dealing with?

TIA

Edited by robbysbabe

I personally am a frequent cruiser however this is for a friend...

We are here in Florida, a "little storm" named Irma came to visit. We are now part of FEMA's documented storm victims.

We (and my friends) are without power and have home damage. They were scheduled to leave on Baltic Cruise this Saturday - ALL flights were cancelled/rearranged - my friends can not leave if they wanted to!!

Now I know ALL about "cruise protection" - please, lets's have some sympathy - leave it out of the comments....

NCL told them to "pound sand" for any refunds or credit what so ever -

Any sympathetic advice/contacts etc. they should speak with in regards to NCL being a little more understanding during the nightmare they are already dealing with?

TIA

Pretty much any situation where someone needs to cancel a cruise is not a good situation, getting hurt, death, loss of job, etc etc. if NCL had "sympathy" for every situation then they would not be in business. Insurance is there for a reason. It sucks but don't take the insurance then you ar SOL

You didn't say where your friends are - but Norwegian Air (not NCL Air) has a flight out of FLL on Saturday to CPH via Stockholm, and a direct flight out of FLL on Sunday to CPH. They'll still make to the ship on Tuesday.

I did mock booking for 4 ppl on the latter flight - available, and $680 pp one way.

Well we'all stop looking for sympathy here!

Hope all are warm (or cool) with hot meals in their homes, running water etc. - a lot of folks in Florida have none of this right now - I suppose it's on the news... I don't know - cables out....

OK - I'll stop -

So, friends cannot go for whatever reasons or they don't want to go because of Irma-related storm damage ?

All flights cancelled/rearranged - is that part of NCL's packaged or standalone booked on their own by this friend ?

Assumed that they've filed with FEMA and homeowner's insurance for disaster claims & benefits - and, could leave if they can get confirmed seats & tickets, etc. Question is can they drive to or be driven to points north, i.e. to ATL (Atlanta, GA) where there should be more options for flights ?? Non-stops might be all booked but with a 1-stop or even 2-stop connections ?? Tomorrow is Thursday - they still have time to work their across the southern states & fly across time zones.

Consider creative airline ticketing by getting routed via a gateway city in Asia, i.e Beijing to Europe - a good T/A with knowledge can book as they have access to OAG or Sabre or whatever system they are good in using.

You didn't say where your friends are - but Norwegian Air (not NCL Air) has a flight out of FLL on Saturday to CPH via Stockholm, and a direct flight out of FLL on Sunday to CPH. They'll still make to the ship on Tuesday.

I did mock booking for 4 ppl on the latter flight - available, and $680 one way.

Thank you for your efforts - they needed to be there by Saturday; They've lost their business and have major home damage - they can't leave if they wanted to.

First off, sorry for your situation and your home damage, I've been there and done that.

However, It is what it is.

It's not a case of people not being unsympathetic but there is just too many people affected by the hurricanes that NCL just can't make exceptions. To be honest, if you read through the forum you will see that NCL has gone above and beyond to help their customers.

I often travel at certain times without travel insurance but two of the instances you talked about would make me get the coverage: travel to Europe, and traveling during hurricane season.

Hope all are warm (or cool) with hot meals in their homes, running water etc. - a lot of folks in Florida have none of this right now - I suppose it's on the news... I don't know - cables out....

OK - I'll stop -

Three years ago we had a neighbor who was diagnosed and died later of stage 4 lung cancer 2 months before they sailed. If they didn't have insurance they would have lost the entire amount of their paid for the cruise for 5 people in their family. i was surprised at how strict and how much proof and paperwork was need to get the full amount back.

So a little bit of perspective.

Insurance is a must or your are gambling with quite a bit of money.

Three years ago we had a neighbor who was diagnosed and died later of stage 4 lung cancer 2 months before they sailed. If they didn't have insurance they would have lost the entire amount of their paid for the cruise for 5 people in their family. i was surprised at how strict and how much proof and paperwork was need to get the full amount back.

So a little bit of perspective.

Insurance is a must or your are gambling with quite a bit of money.

Sorry about your situation -

I am well aware of insurance/friends were not...

Heading to go help them remove trees from their house...

...-

Sorry - but you did not give people a chance. I did not read your first post correctly... I now see your friends are not able to cruise no matter what.

With that said, I am not sure what you are expecting from NCL. Your friends made an agreement to purchase an item (cruise) and made a payment. They agreed to the terms.

Things in life sometimes deal all of us a nasty turn of events. Death. Nature. Illness. Family issues. Car accidents. They all suck - big time. These events happen to people often.

A business can not just be a benefactor and take care of those that suffer. Hard reality, but still a reality. Not sure what you think they should do everytime someone encounters something bad??

Folks here realize it sucks. People have lost their homes, their business and maybe even their loved ones.

Sorry. Life sometimes sucks.

Sorry - but you did not give people a chance. I did not read your first post correctly... I now see your friends are not able to cruise no matter what.

With that said, I am not sure what you are expecting from NCL. Your friends made an agreement to purchase an item (cruise) and made a payment. They agreed to the terms.

Things in life sometimes deal all of us a nasty turn of events. Death. Nature. Illness. Family issues. Car accidents. They all suck - big time. These events happen to people often.

A business can not just be a benefactor and take care of those that suffer. Hard reality, but still a reality. Not sure what you think they should do everytime someone encounters something bad??

Folks here realize it sucks. People have lost their homes, their business and maybe even their loved ones.

Sorry. Life sometimes sucks.

Yup... living it - thanks!

Thanks for the info - no more assistance needed

Hang in there. Many of us have been there so we do understand your frustration. I hope you and your friends get back to "normal" as quickly as possible. You are alive and well and there is always time for another well deserved vacation. :)

When I called after Hurricane Harvey in a similar situation, the nice gentleman I spoke to told me I had insurance and I should be covered but if it didn't cover it to call them back and they would give me 75% credit. I didn't have to because we decide to go only to have the cruise cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty much any situation where someone needs to cancel a cruise is not a good situation, getting hurt, death, loss of job, etc etc. if NCL had "sympathy" for every situation then they would not be in business. Insurance is there for a reason. It sucks but don't take the insurance then you ar SOL

They are rerouting and offering refunds to all the Ships who's itineraries were affected... on their end...

Would be nice if they looked at both sides.

Thank you for responding -

When I called after Hurricane Harvey in a similar situation, the nice gentleman I spoke to told me I had insurance and I should be covered but if it didn't cover it to call them back and they would give me 75% credit. I didn't have to because we decide to go only to have the cruise cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your response - sorry about Harvey... know it to well.

I guess that was my point - NCL has been extremely generous with their effected itineraries; but nothing the other way around.

I'm not letting them give up!!

They'd be happy with a future partial credit. Arlines were awesome about their "no refund policy"

Hang in there. Many of us have been there so we do understand your frustration. I hope you and your friends get back to "normal" as quickly as possible. You are alive and well and there is always time for another well deserved vacation. :)

Thank you!!

We are so lucky and we know it!!

I go in December in the Haven!!

YES I HAVE INSURANCE - LOL

Perhaps, see if your friend's credit card issuer has insurance coverage. Give NCL office another day or two to get closer to normal and call again to see if you get a different answer. Talk to a tax accountant for the possibility of writing it off as part of the disaster losses incurred (just a suggestion, non-professional opinion expressed herein) ...

Yes, life is a _____ (fill in yours) and earlier this year, our 16th sad anniversary on 9/11 being 10 blocks from ground zero, sheltered-in-place then and walked for miles away from downtown, filled with toxc dust as it smoked & burned. Our family business struggled inside Zone 1 for months afterward & closed 6 months later ... but, we moved on. Money isn't everything.

Perhaps, see if your friend's credit card issuer has insurance coverage. Give NCL office another day or two to get closer to normal and call again to see if you get a different answer. Talk to a tax accountant for the possibility of writing it off as part of the disaster losses incurred (just a suggestion, non-professional opinion expressed herein) ...

Yes, life is a _____ (fill in yours) and earlier this year, our 16th sad anniversary on 9/11 being 10 blocks from ground zero, sheltered-in-place then and walked for miles away from downtown, filled with toxc dust as it smoked & burned. Our family business struggled inside Zone 1 for months afterward & closed 6 months later ... but, we moved on. Money isn't everything.

Thank you for the suggestion of he Credit Card and will suggest they allow NCL some time.

Money IS NOT everything -

From NY - lost a family member in the plane that was intentionally grounded...

Yes - we all move on.

Emotions still high on this end presently.

First off, sorry for your situation ... However, It is what it is.

It's not a case of people not being unsympathetic but there is just too many people affected by the hurricanes that NCL just can't make exceptions. To be honest, if you read through the forum you will see that NCL has gone above and beyond to help their customers. ...

This is the heart of the matter. It's not that we are unsympathetic to those affected in Florida, TX, and the Caribbean but there are too many cruisers affected for NCL or other cruise lines to make exceptions to the cancellation policy.