St Maarten stop replaced by St Kitts

loman

It won't be anytime soon. I have heard that many land vacations have been cancelled thru 2017 and I am pretty sure some cruise lines have cancelled thru November. My personal opinion is it will be at least one year if not longer.

Agreed. We have family in St. Maarten and our cousin says their house was OK but the island is devastated and they are running out of water and food, and the looting was off-the-charts rampant. :(

Thanks for your responses. Feel so sad for the people on St. Maarten.

Hope your family/cousin stays safe, and does not run out of water/food. So sorry Karen regarding your not being able to take future cruises.

Thanks for info, We will be on the Freedom in Jan... still pulling for St Martin to be up and running?

I would highly, highly doubt it. We are sailing on the Harmony in Feb and I am pretty sure that we won't be porting in St. Martin.

Agreed. We have family in St. Maarten and our cousin says their house was OK but the island is devastated and they are running out of water and food, and the looting was off-the-charts rampant. :(

Do some searches for St Maarten news and you will find info from local papers. It's not good, below are some things I found out.

Around 20% of island has power but what has been fixed is the easier pieces. Hoping to be 60% in 4-6 weeks.

Many people are upset with the gov as they are worried about tourism vs the people there

Looting is bad. They have had hurricanes before but not looting. Many people are worried how this is going to be perceived once they do get hotels etc rebuilt. Some think it will hurt tourism immensely. Very few places are open and the ones not damaged by Irma have been damaged by looters.

Appear the French side is better organized, more united than Dutch side to get recovery going.

As mentioned basic necessities are in major need.

The island stinks, reports of trash piling up in some areas.

Unfortunately, there may have to be a different alternate since Maria hit St Kitts. I'm sure all of the cruise lines with Caribbean itineraries are scrambling right now to set up ports with the capability of handling cruise ships and their passengers.

I love just being on a ship, which helps with my disappointment when itineraries get changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It won't be anytime soon. I have heard that many land vacations have been cancelled thru 2017 and I am pretty sure some cruise lines have cancelled thru November. My personal opinion is it will be at least one year if not longer.
Friends who have a timeshare at Simpson's Bay in St. Maarten emailed that their timeshare won't reopen until April 24, 2018.

The damage is incredibly bad,

From all the pix, video, and reports online...it could take years for St. Maarten to return to "normal". They may be able to open up as a port again sometime maybe mid-year 2018 (speculation), but with all the damage and rebuilding...who will really want to visit that place (used to be one of our favorites).

Out of loyalty and support for the residents...we'd certainly want to go back yet again...but the infrastructure and some businesses will need to be open to make that realistic for any cruise passengers.

Very sad for those folks who have to endure the reconstruction of a wonderful place.

From all the pix, video, and reports online...it could take years for St. Maarten to return to "normal". They may be able to open up as a port again sometime maybe mid-year 2018 (speculation), but with all the damage and rebuilding...who will really want to visit that place (used to be one of our favorites).

Out of loyalty and support for the residents...we'd certainly want to go back yet again...but the infrastructure and some businesses will need to be open to make that realistic for any cruise passengers.

Very sad for those folks who have to endure the reconstruction of a wonderful place.

Unfortunately I think you can replace it could to it will take years to return to normal. we all wish them the best and a quick return to recovery. I to enjoy st Maarten, number two on my list of fav islands behind Aruba. Many people see a quick return, 6-12 months. I to originally was thinking one year. As I read more about St Maarten it could be years. I have noted this before but am gaining traction with your post. The cruise lines are selling a product, it will be interesting to see when they pick back up st Maarten once the port opens for cruise ships. People often forget that the islands of Grenada, Antigua, Dominica (before Maria), Dominique, St Croix (before Maria), St Bart's all excepted cruise ships before the hurricanes of Irma and Maria. The cruise lines went to these islands at a very low rate as there were better options to offer for the product they were selling. Now they are being forced to go there as the options are limited. makes you wonder were st Maarten will fall when back open based off the product they are selling.