Earliest Check In time available for the Port of Charleston

Gamecock_Cruiser

Does anyone know what the earliest check in time is available for the Port of Charleston? We selected the earliest one available, which was 11:30- 12, so I was just curious.

Also, with Charleston being different than most port and not typically opening the parking lot until 11:30pm, if we happen to arrive at the pot before 11:30pm, will they let us in line to park?

We have cruise Charleston several times in the past, but this is the first time that we have cruise since assigned check in times have been in place.

For whatever it is worth, we booked last minute on Ecstasy a couple of weeks back. We had a 2:30 time. We wandered over there around 11:45 and they put us right on the ship. It moved very fast. They did not examine our boarding time at any point. One lady behind us said something about having a later check in time and we heard the Carnival employee say "don't worry about the appointment time, just go on through". No idea if they always do this in Chucktown.

Also, we had left our car at the hotel and used Uber to get there early, like 9:30AM, since we wanted to visit the market before boarding. They checked our luggage at 9:30 and were happy to do it.

This was the best embarkation and debarkation we have ever had at any port.

11:30 is the earliest check-in time you can select. I went over to park at about 10:15 and was told to return at 11. I arrived back at 10:55 and they had already started parking.

Because of Charleston's unique situation (with the old 1-story terminal) they have to totally clear out departing pax before they can begin to board the arrivals.

Lots and lots of great info on the East Coast departures board provided by locals.

11:30 is the earliest check-in time you can select. I went over to park at about 10:15 and was told to return at 11. I arrived back at 10:55 and they had already started parking.

Because of Charleston's unique situation (with the old 1-story terminal) they have to totally clear out departing pax before they can begin to board the arrivals.

Lots and lots of great info on the East Coast departures board provided by locals.

Hey NC! We did the Triumph cruise between Harvey and Irma, flew home just in time to get the backside of Irma... nothing like Florida! But did get some flooding, neighbors had it worse. One has fish in his pool from the tidal creek, another had 3 feet of water in his garage. Again nothing like the islands and FL but WOW. It was amazing how fast the water came up Monday about 4ish....

We got one of the "free" bounce back cruises and are going on the Nov. 4th Sunshine out of Charleston!

As for the check-in time, it can be mess or it can flow nicely. I've had both. If you are not parking then getting there early can be helpful, you can check your luggage at a little white tent near the terminal where you can catch the "shuttle". Once you are in the area it will become obvious. If parking that little window between 10:45 and 11 is when they start the parking (usually!).

This thread has all kinds of good info... it's what NCTribeFan was talking about (and I am one of the locals):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2438706

Edited by bobsfamily

I am not sure about the parking as we Ubered from our hotel over to the port, but when we cruised in mid August (with FTTF) we were at the port by 10:30 and up on the Lido deck by 11. I had heard nightmares about the workings of the Charleston port but for us it ran as smoothly as could be.

SO what you are saying is that if you plan on parking at the port even though you are Platinum and have handicapped tags your chances of getting into the terminal are before 10- 10:30 are zero to none. If you uber, get dropped off or shuttle, you get in earlier. Correct??

Not sure about the parking since we parked at the hotel. They will check your bags earlier. We were not over there when boarding started since we were wandering around the market, but once it started they seemed to board everyone. Maybe they enforce the check in times on some days, but on our cruise they were not checking.

It would be easy enough to drop by and check your bags and then go park & walk back if you can find a place. There are some lots within walking distance that are $15-16 per day.

An employee at the hotel old me about a secret free parking area that a buddy of his uses but I am leery about posting it on here since it might get someone in trouble. It is a couple of blocks away from the terminal. We did not use it since the hotel parking was free.

The most consistent thing about the port of Charleston is the inconsistency. ;p

We live 20 minutes away and over the years have done five cruises on three different cruise lines from here. Some have been very smooth and a couple not so smooth. The one time we purchased FTTF the priority embarkation piece was utterly worthless. The lines for "regular" pax went quickly and smoothly while the one for FTTF platinum and others with "priority" took forever.

Yes. Had that reinforced on 9/1. Both our cabins were Platinum, but no way were we in such a hurry that we wanted to do the VIP self-disembark.

Our info said to meet in the Library at 7:45. Plenty of time for a nice breakfast and then time to head back to the cabin to brush teeth and pack up the last few items.

Of course, we weren't called at 7:45, but there wasn't a mob, and when we were called, most of us took the stairs the couple of decks down. The line for customs was the slowest part and it moved along.

Was in my car and pulling out of the parking at 8:35.

Painless.

I really do think they do a terrific job there given their very limited facilities. They have to or else it would be totally nuts. I said in my review that it had been 4 years since I'd sailed from Charleston and back then, there was no separate security scanner for Priority. Now that there is, the line there is slower than the other! Thanks FTTF! ;p

Not sure about the parking since we parked at the hotel. They will check your bags earlier. We were not over there when boarding started since we were wandering around the market, but once it started they seemed to board everyone. Maybe they enforce the check in times on some days, but on our cruise they were not checking.

It would be easy enough to drop by and check your bags and then go park & walk back if you can find a place. There are some lots within walking distance that are $15-16 per day.

An employee at the hotel old me about a secret free parking area that a buddy of his uses but I am leery about posting it on here since it might get someone in trouble. It is a couple of blocks away from the terminal. We did not use it since the hotel parking was free.

Happy Anniversary and very glad you were able to come up with a plan to salvage your special vacation.

We get free parking at the pier with handicapped tags, and will be driving down the morning of from Myrtle Beach so no hotel. Just trying to figure out our arrival time as we are also Platinum.