No air con in golden princess cabin questions

RecliningPanda

A second update. Just had technician take readings and the obvious has been confirmed for a second time air con not working. According to tech they have to replace the entire unit governing my part of the ship and it's a big job

We are in cabin 604 on a cruise a year away. Do you think that cabin is affected? Did they mention when they would have to change out the a/c? certainly is unfair to anyone in the cabins that are affected.

Not that it's any consultation to the OP but on the newer design ships each cabin has it's own AC unit which can be changed out in a hour or so.

Almost every cruise ship has two sources of chilled air for cabins. You have an individual chiller that recirculates 80% of the cabin volume each hour, and is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and in most cases, while this could be replaced, it isn't within an hour or so. The other source is the fresh outside air, which makes up 20% of the cabin volume each hour, to replace the 20% removed by the bathroom exhaust. This air is chilled in large air handlers that supply air usually to every cabin on one or two decks within a fire zone. The temperature of this air is controlled centrally.

We are in cabin 604 on a cruise a year away. Do you think that cabin is affected? Did they mention when they would have to change out the a/c? certainly is unfair to anyone in the cabins that are affected.

They said it will definitely get fixed during the dry dock that's been moved to march. They have the parts onboard as they knew about the issue for a while. It's just a big job to do. I guess they hoped noone would complain.

We have decided to take it up with the onshore offices as we got tired of the onboard people ignoring calls and only telling us anything when we went and camped out at pursers desk. We got the letter with reference numbers etc. I stood there until they put it in my hand

We've sailed on the Emerald in 2013 in a cabin that had a major problem with the AC. They told me that nothing could be done at that time.

In 2016 I read about someone staying in that exact cabin & still had the same problem.

Conclusion- there are some cabins with inherent AC that cannot be fixed due to design. If you wind up in one of these cabins, good luck especially if the ship is sailing filled.