Power Plug Adapter?

joey3079

Hello my fellow cruise people,

So my family along with another are going on the Dream in a few weeks, and while I have been on several cruises, I have never really ever bought an adapter for the odd (not US) plug, to expand our charging abilities. Having the kids stuff and the wife's junk, we really could use more than one plug.

While I know the first thought is a power strip or extension cord with multi tip (like we have done in past), I was simply looking to utilize the open port.

So, if anyone knows what type of port that is, could you please share? Or a clear photo, just as good.

I did see a partial picture from a photo, it was hard to tell. Almost like it was in an of itself was made to take several types.

So, there it is. Any help would be thankful.

Thanks

And let's keep our fellow Island and homeland friends in our prayers as this season has and is going to be rough on them to survive and rebuild.

firemanbobswife, so cool how you have all the pictures saved.

this is the power strip I posted on another post it's really all you need

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-3-ft-Cord-YLPT-90A/203353675

Thanks. I have over 8,000 pictures on my phone/computer and prob at least half of them are cruise related :D. I take a bunch for instances like these.

This is what I use. More than enough ports and compact so it’s super easy to pack. If I need to plug in my laptop or curling iron, I simply remove the multi charger and put it back when done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073TTM9TW/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1505880228&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=earldom+charger

While the outlet posted by firemanbobswife is a type of "universal" outlet, there are a couple of caveats to using it. First, of course, make sure whatever you plug into it is rated for 220v (100-240vac is the typical rating), and also note that it will not accept "polarized" US plugs (one blade is wider than the other). The type of plug adapter you need is one to convert from US "type B" (three prong, with polarized blades) to a European "type E/F".

Insten 5X USA US to EU Europe Travel Power Adapter Converter Wall Plug

Google this. Cost $1.49 at Walmart. Buy a couple. Make sure you only use this with items that will charge on 240v such as an iPhone, iPad, many camera batteries etc.

This doesn't convert the 220 to 110 it only allows access to 220. Electrical appliances that only works with 110 will burn out. You need a 220 to 110 converter. The convertor can be purchased at Best Buy, Amazon or luggage store cost about $12.00. The converters are small and has three or four adapters for different size country wall plugs. The small converters is not recommended for use longer than one half hour. I purchased a large converter up to 200 watts in Tahiti weights about four pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This doesn't convert the 220 to 110 it only allows access to 220. Electrical appliances that only works with 110 will burn out. You need a 220 to 110 converter. The convertor can be purchased at Best Buy, Amazon or luggage store cost about $12.00. The converters are small and has three or four adapters for different size country wall plugs. The small converters is not recommended for use longer than one half hour. I purchased a large converter up to 200 watts in Tahiti weights about four pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel internationally, to Europe, to Asia etc, and although a heavy converter is nice, I have never once needed one. The reason is most electronics (iPhone, iPad, camera batteries) are dual voltage. I also have a mobility scooter, and a CPAP machine, all of which are dual voltage. Many hairdryers today, have a dual voltage switch.

With luggage being restricted to 50lbs and cruise ships not liking power cord/surge protectors/power strips it's nice not having to bring a converter that can be taken and held to the end of the cruise. I would rather pack 3 complete outfits than having to carry a converter in my luggage.

Part of using what I suggested is knowing what you have, and understanding what you have.

Non-surge protector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727WZM6R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered one for our Pride Journey cruise 11/18. Didn't want to leave it til the last minute!!

Karen

Thanks Karen, just ordered one....is smaller and lighter than the one we have been using + it has 3 outlets for each reg. electrical and USB. Great suggestion :D

I travel internationally, to Europe, to Asia etc, and although a heavy converter is nice, I have never once needed one. The reason is most electronics (iPhone, iPad, camera batteries) are dual voltage. I also have a mobility scooter, and a CPAP machine, all of which are dual voltage. Many hairdryers today, have a dual voltage switch.

With luggage being restricted to 50lbs and cruise ships not liking power cord/surge protectors/power strips it's nice not having to bring a converter that can be taken and held to the end of the cruise. I would rather pack 3 complete outfits than having to carry a converter in my luggage.

Part of using what I suggested is knowing what you have, and understanding what you have.

That is true with dual current devices but there are some devices that are made in the United States that only uses 110 volt like electric tooth brushes and waterpiks. As long as the user knows what the require voltage it is fine to use the adapter.

• 8 months later...

This: USB Quick Charger RAVPower 60W 6-Port Fast Charger Desktop Charger Charging Station with Quick Charge 3.0 for Galaxy S7/S6/Edge, Note 5 and iSmart for iPhone 7/6s/Plus, iPad, LG, Nexus 6, HTC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSYIGDV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_kunfBb4EY1CJA

And this: Power Banks 16750 RAVPower 16750mAh Phone Battery Charger Portable Chargers External Battery Pack 4.5A Dual USB Output Power Pack for iPhone X, iPhone 8, Galaxy S9, iPad, Android Devices (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQSMEEE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_GvnfBbMEHWGH4

Never run out of power.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you look closely at the 220 volt outlet, you can see that it also has provisions to plug in a 110 volt plug. I used the 220 volt outlet to plug in my 110 volt Tablet and phone chargers with no problem whatsoever.

firemanbobswife, so cool how you have all the pictures saved.

this is the power strip I posted on another post it's really all you need

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-3-ft-Cord-YLPT-90A/203353675

please refrain from bringing this one and find out that does not have a surge protector. it would be safer on a cruise and not prohibited.

the power strip you pictured is surge protected, and illegal and can be taken from you.

please refrain from bringing this one and find out that does not have a surge protector. it would be safer on a cruise and not prohibited.

I'm not convinced that that model is surge protected, no matter what the advertising says. Home Depot and Amazon tend to throw the term surge protected around a lot, even when not warranted. Because this is an off-brand, probably Chinese, manufactured power strip, getting info online is difficult. What I will say is that Home Depot also sells another power strip, with the same "YLPT" prefix in the model number, and this one specifically calls out "450 joules of protection", which is a key that it is surge protected. So, the fact that the specs for the PP's power strip does not mention "joules" leads me to believe it is not surge protected. The only sure way is to read the fine print on the power strip itself, and see if "joules of protection" is mentioned or not. If not, it is not surge protected.

fair enough

"Surge protection" seems to be a "sexy" advertising term lately, and I've found contradictory information on third party sites like Amazon, and even on the manufacturer's own site. In some cases, I've even contacted the manufacturer's technical support to get the correct information. Realistically, the only way to be sure is to either contact the manufacturer, or read the fine print cast into the power strip. I've even found the opposite, where a power strip is advertised as non-surge protected, and safe for cruise ships on Amazon, and the manufacturer clearly states that it is surge protected. Go figure.

"Surge protection" seems to be a "sexy" advertising term lately, and I've found contradictory information on third party sites like Amazon, and even on the manufacturer's own site. In some cases, I've even contacted the manufacturer's technical support to get the correct information. Realistically, the only way to be sure is to either contact the manufacturer, or read the fine print cast into the power strip. I've even found the opposite, where a power strip is advertised as non-surge protected, and safe for cruise ships on Amazon, and the manufacturer clearly states that it is surge protected. Go figure.

well thats clear as mud...:D:')