Express Disembarkation

Texas

On one of the cruise lines that we have sailed, they have an "express" disembarkation. You can keep your luggage in your room overnight (not required to put outside your door the night before your cruise ends). The next morning, when you arrive at port, you can walk-off the ship with your luggage. Has anyone had this experience with NCL?

Appreciate your feedback.

NCL does it too. This past January, we walked off with our luggage and were on the road by 7:15am. It was the fastest and smoothest walk off I've ever done. Every time I walked off with my luggage on Royal and Carnival it was a nightmare.

They gave those walking off with their luggage about 1 to 1-1/2 hours to walk off before calling numbers (based on what the Dailies said). I was off way before they started calling numbers. There was no lines and no congestion getting off the Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCL does it too. This past January, we walked off with our luggage and were on the road by 7:15am. It was the fastest and smoothest walk off I've ever done. Every time I walked off with my luggage on Royal and Carnival it was a nightmare.

They gave those walking off with their luggage about 1 to 1-1/2 hours to walk off before calling numbers (based on what the Dailies said). I was off way before they started calling numbers. There was no lines and no congestion getting off the Epic.

We've found it quite the opposite on our Breakaway cruises: that disembarkation is a complete mess that clogs up the entire deck 7 from bow to stern, and the other colours end up being called about 45 minutes later than scheduled until near the end, when it catches back up. (On both occasions we've chosen the second-to-last time).

We did this on the Epic on our last cruise and will do it again this time. We arrived at 5 am and had to catch a train that left at 8.30 am. There were too many "what ifs" when considering handing our luggage in and looking for it the next day. We had breakfast in the cabin, having got it from the buffet the day before and walked off just before 7 am. I don't recall any numbers being called at the time, It seemed like we were the only ones on the ship. It was brilliant. There was a queue of taxis waiting for us too.

I think you should not do this if you have heavy luggage and/or need to use the lifts. Suitcases can cause a problem in the traffic flow. However these days we all have to travel so light and cope getting too and around airports with wheeled luggage, why would getting off a ship be any different.

I was very happy with this disembarkation, but I suppose the cruise lines cannot encourage it. If everyone wanted to leave this way there would be chaos.

On the smaller ships it generally works well. If in the States a lot depends on the Immigration Service how long things take. "Walk Offs" are normally first to leave so it also depends on the number who want to do that. The longer the cruise then generally the more luggage so fewer "walk off".

We have done this most times. Usually works great.

BUT (damned buts).... if there is a delay in the ship getting cleared coupled with LOTS of people doing the same thing, the line can be really long. That did happen to us once.

Edited by garycarla

Couple weeks ago on the Jewel, from leaving the cabin to getting thru Border crossing was 48 minutes. probably 15 of that in the maze once actually off the ship.

No wheelchairs/scooters are allowed for express or do-it-yourself disembarcation.