What's going to happen now the hurricanes have left a trail of destruction?

jongbj

I see the new itineraries have more stops in St Kitts and Nevis. We love Nevis and will be there for several weeks over Christmas. Luckily they were spared major damage with both Irma and Maria. One went 100km north and the other 100km south. We were so thankful given the destruction in the other islands. I will look out for the Odyssey while we are on land...if we are lucky perhaps we will get an onboard invitation [emoji3]But we will be happy to chill out at our place down the road from the Montpelier Plantation. If anyone wants tips on what do do while in Nevis, please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

yes please! could you email me at: marathonmoose@wavecable.com

thanks

Liz

Sure, no problem. I will post a few suggestions over the weekend. Hopefully it will provide you all with a few options while in Nevis. It is quite a coup for Nevis to have a ship the size of the Odyssey in port (likely tender). The largest ship I have seen is Seadream.

For activities, I'll try to add a mix between more active and less active activities so that we include all preferences. Nevis is a small, quiet more authentic Caribbean island which is why we love it. As a little factoid in case you don't know, Princess Diana took William and Harry there for holiday after the demise of the marriage in the early 90s. She stayed at Montpelier Plantation which is has been beautifully restored by the Hoffman family. It's a must see even if for a quick tour.

We are on the Barbados/Barbados cruise March 3rd 2018. We have just received information from Seabourn that some, not all of our itinerary has changed. We have been credited with on board spending as compensation.

We are on the Barbados/Barbados cruise March 3rd 2018. We have just received information from Seabourn that some, not all of our itinerary has changed. We have been credited with on board spending as compensation.

We are on exactly the same trip as you but on the 3rd February sailing. We have heard nothing yet. Could you tell me what the changes are?

We have a good TA and I presume they are busy sorting out all their Caribbean customers and we will hear from them eventually.

Thanks! Margaret

Edited by margbem
grammar

This is the new itinerary. sorry I cannot copy and paste the old one which I trust you have? It looks like quite a few ports have changed.

Saline Bay, Mayreau, St. Vincent & the Grenadines 08:00 17:00

02 Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe 08:00 18:00

03 Charlestown, Nevis, St. Kitts & Nevis 08:00 17:00

04 Fort-de-France, Martinique 08:00 18:00

05 St. George’s, Granada 08:00 18:00

06 Charlotteville, Tobago, Trinidad & Tobago 08:00 17:00

07 Bridgetown, Barbados 07:00 23:00

08 Trois Ilets, Martinique 09:00 18:00

09 Carambola Beach, St. Kitts & Nevis 08:00 17:00

10 St. John’s, Antigua, Antigua & Barbuda 08:00 23:00

11 Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe 08:00 17:00

12 Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines 08:00 17:00

13 Castries, St. Lucia 08:00 18:00

14 BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS 07:00

This is the new itinerary. sorry I cannot copy and paste the old one which I trust you have? It looks like quite a few ports have changed.

Saline Bay, Mayreau, St. Vincent & the Grenadines 08:00 17:00

02 Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe 08:00 18:00

03 Charlestown, Nevis, St. Kitts & Nevis 08:00 17:00

04 Fort-de-France, Martinique 08:00 18:00

05 St. George’s, Granada 08:00 18:00

06 Charlotteville, Tobago, Trinidad & Tobago 08:00 17:00

07 Bridgetown, Barbados 07:00 23:00

08 Trois Ilets, Martinique 09:00 18:00

09 Carambola Beach, St. Kitts & Nevis 08:00 17:00

10 St. John’s, Antigua, Antigua & Barbuda 08:00 23:00

11 Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe 08:00 17:00

12 Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines 08:00 17:00

13 Castries, St. Lucia 08:00 18:00

14 BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS 07:00

Thanks very much. Some completely changed, others just changed around onto different days.

We will await notification!

My wife and I are booked on the Feb 17th, 14-Day Exotic Caribbean In-Depth

This was the original Itinerary

00: Bridgetown, Barbados

01: Saline Bay, Mayreau, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

02: Roseau, Dominica

03: Deshaies, Guadeloupe

04: Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis

05: Gustavia, Saint Barthelemy

06: Great Harbour, Jost van Dyke, British Virgin Islands

07: Philipsburg, Sint Maarten

08: Carambola Beach, Saint Kitts and Nevis

09: Road Bay, AnguillaTR

10: St. Johns, Antigua and Barbuda

11: Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe

12: Castries, Saint Lucia

13: Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

14: Bridgetown, Barbados

We have since been notified by our TA of the Revised Itinerary:

00 Bridgetown, Barbados

01 Saline Bay, Mayreau, St. Vincent & the Grenadines

02 Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe

03 Charlestown, Nevis, St. Kitts & Nevis

04 Fort-de-France, Martinique

05 St. George’s, Grenada

06 Charlotteville, Tobago, Trinidad & Tobago

07 Bridgetown, Barbados

08 Trois Ilets, Martinique

09 Carambola Beach, St. Kitts & Nevis

10 St. John’s, Antigua, Antigua & Barbuda

11 Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe

12 Castries, St. Lucia

13 Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines

14 Bridgetown, Barbados

Perhaps some of the more experienced can advise...As this is our first Seabourn cruise and first in the Caribbean, my question is:

Is the revised itinerary considered a 'downgrade' from the original one?

*Note to "fudge", our itineraries are the same except for days 12 & 13 which are switched. I'm wondering if one of ours is incorrect?

Mr. Cheeky,

We are on the same cruise as you and this will be our fifth Seabourn cruise.

We are not regarding the changes in itinerary as a 'downgrade'. We are all aware of the reasons why this has been necessary and trust that Seabourn has done their best in replacing similar sized laid-back islands. We are looking forward to the cruise and feel fortunate that we are able to continue with what we are sure will be a wonderful cruise. Once you have sailed with Seabourn, I think you will be impressed. I think you are celebrating a special anniversary? Look forward to it, you won't be disappointed.

Sunprice,

Looking forward to your suggestions for Nevis.

Happy sailing and anticipation.

Due to changes we have been scheduled on day 6 to Carambola Beach, St Kitts & Nevis. What to do at this port?????

On day 8 we are at Charlestown, Nevis, St Kitts & Nevis. What to do here??????

How far apart are the locations we will stop at on day 6 and 8? Are they on the same island?

I do have some OBC to spend on excursions. Any ideas.....or are the ports walkable?

My wife and I are booked on the Feb 17th, 14-Day Exotic Caribbean In-Depth

This was the original Itinerary

00: Bridgetown, Barbados

01: Saline Bay, Mayreau, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

02: Roseau, Dominica

03: Deshaies, Guadeloupe

04: Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis

05: Gustavia, Saint Barthelemy

06: Great Harbour, Jost van Dyke, British Virgin Islands

07: Philipsburg, Sint Maarten

08: Carambola Beach, Saint Kitts and Nevis

09: Road Bay, AnguillaTR

10: St. Johns, Antigua and Barbuda

11: Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe

12: Castries, Saint Lucia

13: Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

14: Bridgetown, Barbados

We have since been notified by our TA of the Revised Itinerary:

00 Bridgetown, Barbados

01 Saline Bay, Mayreau, St. Vincent & the Grenadines

02 Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe

03 Charlestown, Nevis, St. Kitts & Nevis

04 Fort-de-France, Martinique

05 St. George’s, Grenada

06 Charlotteville, Tobago, Trinidad & Tobago

07 Bridgetown, Barbados

08 Trois Ilets, Martinique

09 Carambola Beach, St. Kitts & Nevis

10 St. John’s, Antigua, Antigua & Barbuda

11 Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe

12 Castries, St. Lucia

13 Port Elizabeth, Bequia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines

14 Bridgetown, Barbados

Perhaps some of the more experienced can advise...As this is our first Seabourn cruise and first in the Caribbean, my question is:

Is the revised itinerary considered a 'downgrade' from the original one?

*Note to "fudge", our itineraries are the same except for days 12 & 13 which are switched. I'm wondering if one of ours is incorrect?

I pasted that itinerary straight from out TA, hopefullt its right?

I am surprised they are amending next March itineraries already,I wonder what is going to happen to our next year transatlantic leaving from St Maarten in April? Don`t know if I have to cancel hotels and although have booked flights with seabourn other arrangements need to be changed.

Dalliowner - 7 April '18 departure port now Barbados (first 7 days pre-Transatlantic now round trip Barbados). Extract from Seabourn e-mail to TA follows (apologies for length) :-

All of us at Seabourn are keeping the many people who have been impacted by the recent storms in our thoughts. Our parent company, Carnival Corporation, has already begun outreach and support for those islands affected on behalf of our family of cruise lines.

Seabourn’s Caribbean cruise season begins in late October, and we look forward to continuing to provide the great cruise experience our guests expect as well as the economic support the region relies on, now more than ever. No cruises will be cancelled, but we do need to revise our itineraries as a result of the damage that has occurred on some of the islands we are scheduled to visit. Seabourn has determined that we must also revise all of our Caribbean itineraries calling on Philipsburg, Saint Maarten, which is a turn port, through April 2018. The island destination is working to recover from recent hurricanes and hotels and other infrastructure are not ready to support our inbound and outbound guests. Consequently, we are unable to call at Philipsburg and have modified our itinerary to a round-trip Bridgetown, Barbados sailing.

We realize that most of our guests have already made arrangements to embark in Philipsburg and we are prepared to offer whatever assistance we can. For guests who booked their flights through Seabourn, our Air Sea department will automatically reschedule their flights. You’ll receive the new schedule soon.

Guests who booked their flights independently will need to make new arrangements. Be assured that we will cover any reasonable air change fees they may incur. Click
to print our Change Fee Reimbursement Form. Please complete and return this along with any relevant receipts and documentation.

As a result of these changes we are providing a shipboard credit of $300 per suite, to show our appreciation for our guests’ understanding.

We sincerely encourage booked guests and anyone considering a Caribbean cruise to continue with their plans. There are many islands that were not affected and there is no better show of support for the area and the people than to continue to visit.

Please also be aware that this reservation may not reflect the updated itinerary in our system or on our website prior to October 6, and any shore excursions purchased for an affected port of call will be automatically refunded to the original form of payment. We appreciate your patience and will notify you next week when the itinerary update is complete.

Not unexpected and (for us) not a major change. We've cancelled our hotel in St Martin and will book a few nights in Barbados instead. Revised itinerary follows. Hope this helps.

7/4 Barbados

8/4 Trois Ilets, Martinique

9/4 Carambola Beach, St Kitts

10/4 St Johns, Antigua

11/4 Terre-de-Haut, Guadeloupe

12/4 Castries, St Lucia

13/4 Port Elizabeth, Bequia, Grenadines

14/4 Bridgetown, Barbados

Edited by Palmeat
Typing error

Due to changes we have been scheduled on day 6 to Carambola Beach, St Kitts & Nevis. What to do at this port?????

On day 8 we are at Charlestown, Nevis, St Kitts & Nevis. What to do here??????

How far apart are the locations we will stop at on day 6 and 8? Are they on the same island?

I do have some OBC to spend on excursions. Any ideas.....or are the ports walkable?

St Kitts and Nevis is one country with the two islands. Both are completely different. Carambola Beach on St Kitts is a beach with not much else nearby, although I assume they will have tours running out of there. The main cruise ship terminal in St Kitts is in the main town Basseterre, so I am not sure why Seabourn has picked Carambola instead of Basseterre. I wouldn’t be concerned about stopping twice in SKN as both islands are a different experience.

Mr. Cheeky,

We are on the same cruise as you and this will be our fifth Seabourn cruise.

We are not regarding the changes in itinerary as a 'downgrade'. We are all aware of the reasons why this has been necessary and trust that Seabourn has done their best in replacing similar sized laid-back islands. We are looking forward to the cruise and feel fortunate that we are able to continue with what we are sure will be a wonderful cruise. Once you have sailed with Seabourn, I think you will be impressed. I think you are celebrating a special anniversary? Look forward to it, you won't be disappointed.

Kimbasmum thank you for the input. Instills confidence in Seabourn if this is your fifth cruise with them. My wife and I are really looking forward to this cruise. Yes you are correct, we are celebrating 20 years of marriage. We usually travel independently and have visited many countries and cities. However, for our anniversary we thought it would be nice to celebrate in style, in an area where we can experience a taste of life on each island. It's also nice just to unpack and unwind for two weeks instead of catching flights/trains etc. We wanted a smaller sized ship with more personalized service and great food. There were a few luxury cruise in the running but with our research and our TA's recommendation, Seabourn was our choice. Our flights and hotels in Barbados before/after cruise are booked. Very excited!

Hello SunPrince

Yes please any information you can post on the message board about Nevis would be so welcome. Thank you

Maureen and Jon

Ok, so here are a few suggestions for things to do in Nevis:

- Nevis has many former sugar plantation estates. Many of these have been nicely restored, while others are in ruins. Both are interesting. Taking a tour of these old plantations is a nice way to see the history as well as the current use. Montpelier Plantation, Hermitage Plantation and Golden Rock are just a few of them. A tour or taxi driver can show you around

- for history buffs, Alexander Hamilton (of the Hamilton broadway play fame) was born in Nevis. Also Lord Horatio Nelson also has a close connection to Nevis having married Fannie Nisbet who was born on Nevis. There is a small history museum in Charlestown as well as various sites across the island linked to these historical figures.

- for a nice lunch, I’d suggest going to the Golden Rock Plantation. A beautiful inn partway up the mountain side. https://goldenrocknevis.com/ the setting is beautiful. Alternatively, the Montpelier Plantation Inn https://www.montpeliernevis.com/ or Nisbet Plantation http://nisbetplantation.com/ are nice. At Nisbet we usually just sit at the beach restaurant with our feet in the sand and enjoy the ocean view over lunch.

- a restaurant called Bananas is also nice for lunch. Any taxi driver can take you to any of these places

- the Nevis Botanical Gardens is located near the Montpelier Plantation and they have a lovely Thai restaurant where you can sit on the veranda and take in a nice view of Nevis Peak and also St Kitts in the distance.

- for the more active, you can take a hike to Nevis Peak, a dormant volcano (982 metres). You can hike through the rainforest, but this is only for the very active and be prepared to get wet and dirty

- for a fun island tour you can do the Funky Monkey ATV tour. They guide you on and off road to see the major sights on the island. They stop for lunch at the Yachtmans Grill, a nice restaurant on the beach where you can also take a dip in the sea and relax on the beach for a while if you wish.

- there is a golf course at the Four Seasons, for anyone needing a golf fix

- for a beach trip, go to Pinneys beach and you can stop at the “infamous”Sunshine’s beach bar for a “killer bee” drink. Sunshine is quite a character and he has a long list of celebrity guests over the years.

- also be sure to look out for the monkeys and donkeys which are abundance in the wild. The monkeys were taken over in the ships as pets from Africa during the early days of trade and they have flourished. The locals despise them since they eat the produce. But some, like me think they are cute.

These are just a few things to do, you all can do a little addition google or tripadvisor research for additional activities

Enjoy

If the cruise would change a bit, I really wouldn’t be concerned, that happens all the time. Missing a few islands is not a problem, we’ve been to most. So I can understand people indicating that Seabourn will make the most of it.

My main concern is that our Embarkation / Disembarkation port is completely destroyed, including virtually all hotels on the island.

And if Seabourn suddenly decides to skip our Embarkation / Disembarkation port, that would be a serious problem for us.

And even if they decide to not skip our Embarkation / Disembarkation port, we need to arrive a few days early, to ensure any flight issues will not make us miss the ship, and if that is a location where most hotels are closed until further notice, that worries me.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Forums[/

I couldn't agree more. This is the point I have been trying to get everyone to understand. Changes to embarkation ports have serious impacts to travel plans (flights, hotels) and Seabourn should be proactive in making decisions where this will be the case. There are not many alternate ports to use in the Caribbean for embarkation (need a major international airport nearby, hotel capacity, port that can handle embarkation services etc).

This IS the issue-- we are not willing to wait until November to see if the flights we have booked into SXM and then out of Barbados are still the correct routing based on usability, slow decision making or unwillingness to make a decision. We need to know now or we will seek other plans to some route on some other cruise that is predictable. Too bad as we were looking forward to giving Seabourn a second try. We realize that the disaster was not the lines fault-- their response to it is though and we cannot or will not risk our airline tickets on their apparent indecision. Does anyone believe that they will help defray the costs of re routing the embarkation? Nor do we -- so looking for an alternative for the Feb 24 -7 day cruise is the order of the day.

Hotel CA, see post #65 above.

We received a similar email notice from Seabourn, and you should get one from Seabourn and/or your TA.

All Caribbean cruises that were to start in St Maarten now are round-trip from Barbados.

Seabourn specifically said: "Guests who booked their flights independently will need to make new arrangements. Be assured that we will cover any reasonable air change fees they may incur."

We visited Diamond Botanical Gardens in St Lucia and Hunte's Garden in Barbados in 2014 and look forward to seeing them again next February.

Sunprince recommends the Botanical Garden of Nevis and online research has made us interested in going to Jardin Botanique of Deshaies in Guadeloupe ( although it is 50klm from Basse-Terre ) and Balata Botanical Garden in Martinique.

Sunprince - thanks very much for the information about Nevis which will be very useful.

Mr Cheeky and 1901Phil - I have started a Roll Call for our 17 February Barbados round trip.

Anyone else joining us?