Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Again....for every person that wants RC to "hurry up and cancel" there is another that wants them to "hang on as long as possible" to make changes. For those sailing within the next few weeks....I understand your anxiety....but it is part of cruising during hurricane season. While there is a chance anytime of year for reroutes....you took a larger risk booking during hurricane season. For those that say the ship can't sail out of PR even if the pier is ok due to supplies, etc....the ship can refuel and pick up supplies in other ports. I am sure The inventory manager onboard is very good and can work with corporate and vendors, etc to get supplies on other islands. For the Oct 7 sailing they are allowing folks to board on Oct 6. This should help those that might have gotten their hotel reservation cancelled. I think some folks are rushing into judgement and wanting RC to rush to judgement. I was telling Mr Ski about this thread....his reaction was " sounds like a bunch of people with half cocked information trying to give a barrel full of advice". For the hotels that are open, their staff probably wants guests for the paycheck/tips, etc. If the checkin staff/porters, etc can get to the pier...I am sure they need the paycheck/tips. If the island is capable of accepting the ship/pax, these people need the $. I know it is your vacation with dedicated/limited days...but these people have had their world blown apart and need whatever support the tourists and RC can give them. Just a few short weeks ago everyone was saying St M and St T wouldn't be able to handle a ship for 6 months. Today I am reading news from various sources that indicate both St M and St T will be eagerly accepting ships/pax early/mid November. So some folks rushed to judgement there! am sure they are in need of the tourist $. For those wanting RC to rush and make changes think about the fact you might be taking needed $ away from these folks that need the tourist $ asap. I can be a little inconvenienced in waiting until the last moment to make changes if needed....if that gives more of an opportunity to help these folks get back to normal and get tourist $ coming in.

Forgot to mention....we have previously been on the first ship into an island after a hurricane. Don't remember what year or which hurricane but we arrived in St Thomas one year as the first ship. They were so thankful to have the tourists back. The vendor's market was even selling t-shirts that said something like "I am on the first ship back to St Thomas after Hurricane ABC".

I had "heard" that the fuel situation had been rectified, hopefully, it's true. My main concern is the airport, no air traffic control tower? Eeesh, doesn't sound safe but I'm not a pilot. Perhaps they'll have one airlifted, like what was done for St. Thomas. Will be interesting to see how/if the flight schedule increases in the coming days.

I can assure you that the USAF has portable air traffic control towers and portable radar that can and most likely will be used. I have seen a air base go from a small clearing in a jungle to landing air craft in less than a week.

This is a great sentiment, but the reality is that I'm on my 4th set of hotel reservations for the 10/28 sailing. I was notified this morning that my airline has suspended all flights in and out of San Juan indefinitely. There's still no power and no cell service. While supplies are coming in, there's no way to distribute them due to the failed infrastructure. Dumping 2000+ more people into the mix won't help.

I'm hopeful that things will change in the next few weeks, but if the hotels can't open and the flights can't come in/out that leaves passengers stuck. I think people are frustrated with RCCL because they won't make a decision in time for alternate plans to be put in place. They need to make a decision at least a week before each sailing so we can adjust our plans.

I agree totally that making decisions 7 days in advance would be a very good decision and allow the pax to make alternate arrangements. It is the people that aren't sailing for 4 weeks or even until mid-Nov/mid-Dec that are wanting a "decision NOW" that is so frustrating to me. People that had just made final payment immediately before the hurricane that are still 60 days out that are "furious" "angry" etc with RC because they won't allow them to cancel or won't confirm what ports, etc. now...those on the ones that frustrate me.

I am hopeful we will get alot more info and ALL be able to make much better educated decisions/opinions after AD actually arrives in SJU today and the staff/crew/officers/corporate, etc can actually see for themselves the current situation of SJU and the pier, etc!!!!

We are booked on American airlines and they too are waiving the change fees.

Bill

What dates were you booked on? I called AA for our Nov 18th flight, they said all penalty fees would be applied to change anything . 6 of us going. Didn't Matter to them if our cruise was cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgot to mention....we have previously been on the first ship into an island after a hurricane. Don't remember what year or which hurricane but we arrived in St Thomas one year as the first ship. They were so thankful to have the tourists back. The vendor's market was even selling t-shirts that said something like "I am on the first ship back to St Thomas after Hurricane ABC".

I agree with you that tourism returning will play a huge role in recovery. I have visited an island when they were recovering from a major hurricane, and the islanders we're thrilled to have the ships (their livelihood) back. That said, there's a big difference between stopping at an island and embarking there, with the latter being infinitely more complicated for everyone...passengers, local residents/workers, and the cruise line. I think even entertaining the idea of having 2,000+ people fly to San Juan right now is irresponsible and shows a real lack of situational awareness on the part of the RCI decision makers.

What dates were you booked on? I called AA for our Nov 18th flight, they said all penalty fees would be applied to change anything . 6 of us going. Didn't Matter to them if our cruise was cancelled.

Well that representative was uninformed.

Straight from their website:

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

• San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

The change fee may be waived if you:

• Bought your ticket by September 18, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 18 - November 30, 2017
  • Can travel September 24, 2017 - March 31, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Contact Reservations to change your origin and destination city (difference in fare will apply)
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Change your trip

If your trip is eligible, you can change it online. Here’s how:

• Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you’ll see the option to ‘change trip’ in the toolbar

Find your trip

Call Reservations

Can't change your trip online?

Contact Reservations

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

I agree totally that making decisions 7 days in advance would be a very good decision and allow the pax to make alternate arrangements. It is the people that aren't sailing for 4 weeks or even until mid-Nov/mid-Dec that are wanting a "decision NOW" that is so frustrating to me. People that had just made final payment immediately before the hurricane that are still 60 days out that are "furious" "angry" etc with RC because they won't allow them to cancel or won't confirm what ports, etc. now...those on the ones that frustrate me.

I am hopeful we will get alot more info and ALL be able to make much better educated decisions/opinions after AD actually arrives in SJU today and the staff/crew/officers/corporate, etc can actually see for themselves the current situation of SJU and the pier, etc!!!!

I am one of those people. We are on the 11/18 sailing. We have the Hilton Candado precruise and 2 days that the Embassy Suite Dorado post cruise. I am worried about hotels more than the cruise. I work for a power construction engineer and I know how long it takes to restring the main backbone before you can hook up the substation and energize the distribution grid. What they are not talking about are substations destroyed? Those transformers are not shelf items. Emergency generators are not like peaking or base load generators, they are not designed to run 24/7 indefinitely. I want to spend my money in PR but I don't know where we can stay before and after cruise. We are fine with a motel six but will there be any food? All the agriculture has reportedly been wiped out, they may have to import much more food than they have in the past. Fix ST or SM with a few thousand population is a lot different than fixing PR with 3.4 million.

Again....for every person that wants RC to "hurry up and cancel" there is another that wants them to "hang on as long as possible" to make changes. For those sailing within the next few weeks....I understand your anxiety....but it is part of cruising during hurricane season. While there is a chance anytime of year for reroutes....you took a larger risk booking during hurricane season. For those that say the ship can't sail out of PR even if the pier is ok due to supplies, etc....the ship can refuel and pick up supplies in other ports. I am sure The inventory manager onboard is very good and can work with corporate and vendors, etc to get supplies on other islands. For the Oct 7 sailing they are allowing folks to board on Oct 6. This should help those that might have gotten their hotel reservation cancelled. I think some folks are rushing into judgement and wanting RC to rush to judgement. I was telling Mr Ski about this thread....his reaction was " sounds like a bunch of people with half cocked information trying to give a barrel full of advice". For the hotels that are open, their staff probably wants guests for the paycheck/tips, etc. If the checkin staff/porters, etc can get to the pier...I am sure they need the paycheck/tips. If the island is capable of accepting the ship/pax, these people need the $. I know it is your vacation with dedicated/limited days...but these people have had their world blown apart and need whatever support the tourists and RC can give them. Just a few short weeks ago everyone was saying St M and St T wouldn't be able to handle a ship for 6 months. Today I am reading news from various sources that indicate both St M and St T will be eagerly accepting ships/pax early/mid November. So some folks rushed to judgement there! am sure they are in need of the tourist $. For those wanting RC to rush and make changes think about the fact you might be taking needed $ away from these folks that need the tourist $ asap. I can be a little inconvenienced in waiting until the last moment to make changes if needed....if that gives more of an opportunity to help these folks get back to normal and get tourist $ coming in.

Keep in mind there is a big difference in saying cruise ships can come visit and if they actually do on nov 11. The cruise lines are in a tough spot with that decision. Just like there are people upset by not knowing about future cruises in SJ there will be many who don't want to visit a hurricane ravaged island and will complain. the cruise lines have a product to sell and must try to fulfill the best possible cruise so people will return. In addition safety will be a big deciding factor. Tough decision for cruise lines in a no win situation.

Exactly.

It must be really frustrating but it's not in your control. We are lucky- we cruise Nov 5th to the western.

If I were scheduled on a cruise that might be affected I'd come up with a back up plan and make the best of it. My vacation days are set so I'd need to come up with an alternate plan in case they cancelled my cruise. You have to wait to book that plan but at least you're not scrambling at the last minute. Lemonade out of lemons.

Also this storm has cemented my decision to use Southwest for air. No change fees, just rebook any flight anywhere within a year.

I think a lot of this is also out of RCL control. They want to get back to normal too. If they cancel or move a ship and the port area could have been used people would get angry about that too. They really can't win and have to wait and see like everyone else. I agree they should let passengers know as soon as possible.

Yep.

If I were on a cruise leaving soonish I would get plans and thoughts into place and then just hang on. Once official word comes out then I would leap. If the cruise goes on as planned then I'd go.

I would be one who would be irked if they cancelled it a month out and then the Coast Guard Air Force and Army got it sorted and the cruise (and airport and hotels) went off fine.

For those with very soon cruises y'all KNOW they aren't going, so stop with the "why are they sending us into this area" stuff. They haven't done that with PR.

I agree with you that tourism returning will play a huge role in recovery. I have visited an island when they were recovering from a major hurricane, and the islanders we're thrilled to have the ships (their livelihood) back. That said, there's a big difference between stopping at an island and embarking there, with the latter being infinitely more complicated for everyone...passengers, local residents/workers, and the cruise line. I think even entertaining the idea of having 2,000+ people fly to San Juan right now is irresponsible and shows a real lack of situational awareness on the part of the RCI decision makers.

Yep, what you said.

For those with very soon cruises y'all KNOW they aren't going, so stop with the "why are they sending us into this area" stuff. They haven't done that with PR.

Yep, what you said.

Not gonna stop that "why are they sending us into this area" stuff because RCI seems determined to resume cruising 10/7. Are you on any of these cruises happening soon? If not, then reserve judgment about people stressing out

I am so angry at RCI for dragging their feet on decisions for the Cruises in the next few weeks. They wait until days before when it is impossible to rebook. They know the situation. There is no power, cell towers, water, hotels closed and airlines cancelling flights. I have been an ardent supporter of RCI but not any more. This is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree! My daughter is supposed to sail on her Honeymoon on AOS 10/14. Given what San Juan looks like there is No Way that cruise will happen but RCCL won't let her change with imposing a 75% penalty. That is insane!!

I have a cruise coming up on the Adventure (November 11th), so I too have "skin in the game". My only "ask" of Royal is that they be realistic and not leave guests hanging until a few days before the ship is supposed to leave.

The cruises on October 7th and on the 14th will be the ones to watch to determine what happens after that. I still don't understand how people are going to stay in hotels that are damaged and without power......? I am more than happy to stay as planned for 3 nights pre-cruise in San Juan (I know they need the $$ and I am happy to give it to them), but I will not stay if power has not been restored, nor can I imagine trying to relax in vacation mode while so many on PR are suffering :(

I know this is still far away, but we schedule to dock in PR on Nov 19 off a TA on then Jewel of the Sea, which will then do her schedule from then on. If the port isn't up to par and say they move the home port to say Miami, would the Jewel still dock in PR as most passengers have arrangements made from PR to fly home, or would they just go to their new home port. I understand this is still 5 weeks away, but that particular Sunday, when we dock is the weekend before Thanksgiving and there will be NO extra seats, extra hotels etc if we do get stranded in another port except for the one we were scheduled to go to. I would assume the airport in PR will be up and running by then, but it is up to RCI where we disembark.

Cheers

Len

Question of a different sort. I was one of the fortunate ones to have been able to sail from PR on Adventure's 9/16 sailing over a week or so ago. Unfortunately, we couldn't return to the port for obvious reasons. All of us passengers were returned to Ft. Lauderdale for disembarkation on 9/24; the residents of PR who sailed with us however, stayed on board the ship. It was my understanding that they were to return to PR on today. Anybody know whether Adventure sailed with those passengers? I know they've got to be absolutely worried and exhausted at this point. :(

Question of a different sort. I was one of the fortunate ones to have been able to sail from PR on Adventure's 9/16 sailing over a week or so ago. Unfortunately, we couldn't return to the port for obvious reasons. All of us passengers were returned to Ft. Lauderdale for disembarkation on 9/24; the residents of PR who sailed with us however, stayed on board the ship. It was my understanding that they were to return to PR on today. Anybody know whether Adventure sailed with those passengers? I know they've got to be absolutely worried and exhausted at this point. :(

They did return to San Juan today according to Twitter tweets. I’m not sure about the passengers. See #AdventureoftheSeas

Today, about 3 hours after the Adventure of the Seas arrived in San Juan to unload Disaster Relief supplies and Passengers, I received a email asking for my flight info for our Oct 7th arrival. This to me,means that they have determined after arriving into port that we are going to depart on schedule as originally planned.

I feel the port will be ready to accommodate the cruise ship on Oct.6-7.. My question is how in the world are all of these travelers going to fly in? It seems unreasonable that the the airport will be at 100% in less than 9 days?

Also having survivors guilt....it will be really hard to walk past all of the stranded travelers (if there are still any at that point), get in a van and be whisked away to a luxurious air conditioned cruise ship to spend the night on before cruising.. I do not have trip insurance (not sure it would have worked if the cruise is a go). Very conflicted about the whole thing. RC seems firm on this latest update tho.

I do not think any cruise ship will be embarking in Puerto Rico anytime soon. Unfortunately, I suspect The email you received related to an October 7 sailing was simply because it was sent programmatically by their system. I would be very skeptical about this.

While port itself may not be an issue, there will be substantial logistical issues regarding the airport, hotels and transportation.

RC is allowing the Oct 7 sailing to spend the previous night on board instead of in hotels since most are cancelled. They are also providing transportation to and from the airport... only thing left is the flight itself... which I can’t see happening but maybe I’m missing something.

This is the latest update from Southwest Airlines:

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_20178171505686202888.html

Hurricane Maria

San Juan

Airport conditions at Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU) remain poor and authority to operate flights into/out of SJU is heavily restricted, following the impact of Hurricane Maria. As such, Southwest Airlines plans to resume scheduled flights to/from San Juan (SJU) with a reduced schedule starting Thursday, September 28. Seat availability is extremely limited due to high demand. For details on offered flights and availability, please check Southwest.com or call us at 800-I FLY-SWA (800-435-9792).

Sorry for your situation. I suggest you turn your TV to a station that has real news and weather and watch. Puerto Rico has been devistated by Maria and many of the other islands by Irma and Maria. Mother Nature is at fault not the airlines or the cruise lines.

From the reports I have heard and seen it may be months/years until visitors can be welcomed. Folks I have talked to in FL who have family in Puerto Rico still don't know if their kin are safe and alive.

What is best for the guests is to begin planning alternative vacations. I know, it is a money issue for many and refunds are needed. Consider the poor people who have lost everything and be thankful for what you have.

I have been watching TV and following RC humanitarian efforts to aid Puerto Rico with the use of the AOS. I commend them. The people there should be their FIRST priority and agree that it is going to take weeks to stabilize the island and to get them back up and running. I do feel for all the people of the Caribbean islands that had to deal with mother nature.

What I am upset with is that RC waits 4 days before the cruise to cancel it. I would love to begin planning an alternative vacation, but unfortunately, I can't I still have a flight and cruise booked