Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

An FYI for anyone booked on American Airlines to San Juan

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

• San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

The change fee may be waived if you:

• Bought your ticket by September 18, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 18 - November 30, 2017
  • Can travel September 24, 2017 - March 31, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Contact Reservations to change your origin and destination city (difference in fare will apply)
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

The media hasn't been covering the situation in PR very well.

People are overwhelmed at the destruction of most all public services.

I saw today teams of Radio Amateurs ("Hams") are going to PR to provide much needed communications.

For example, many if not most shelters have zero communications with the rest of the country, families don't know where other members are located or even if they're OK so one task for the "hams" is to assemble and pass on health and welfare info to the Red Cross.

Good luck to them.

The group’s principal mission will be to move health-and-welfare information from the island back to the US mainland, where that data will be entered in the Red Cross “Safe & Well” website.

http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-s-force-of-fifty-answers-the-red-cross-call-in-puerto-rico

Seems like this thread could better help cruisers by being a "sticky", at least for a few weeks.

An FYI for anyone booked on American Airlines to San Juan

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

• San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

The change fee may be waived if you:

• Bought your ticket by September 18, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 18 - November 30, 2017
  • Can travel September 24, 2017 - March 31, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Contact Reservations to change your origin and destination city (difference in fare will apply)
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Thanks for this post.

Much appreciated.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Found out yesterday that Oct 15th cruise on Allure changed from going to Puerto Rico and St. Maartan to Cozumel and Costa Maya. While I wanted to go ports that have been affected, I still feel blessed that I am able to cruise, have running water, electricity, etc. Some cruisers need to get a grip. I think RCCL did not drag their feet. They have to first find out what ports are available and if certain ships can go into the ports like the Allure. Happy sailing everyone

Found out yesterday that Oct 15th cruise on Allure changed from going to Puerto Rico and St. Maartan to Cozumel and Costa Maya. While I wanted to go ports that have been affected, I still feel blessed that I am able to cruise, have running water, electricity, etc. Some cruisers need to get a grip. I think RCCL did not drag their feet. They have to first find out what ports are available and if certain ships can go into the ports like the Allure. Happy sailing everyone

Quite different having 2 of your ports changed on your cruise leaving from Florida to having your money held hostage knowing full well the cruises in the next few weeks have no chance of leaving from San Juan.

5% of PR has electric, no water, hotels closed and the airport is filled with people who can't get out. Maybe RCI thinks that they will go to bed tonight and when they wake up find it was all a dream.

Having a cruise booked for 9/30 not canceled until 9/26 is not dragging their feet?

Telling cruisers who are in this situation to get a grip is really disingenuous.

I to am on the October 21st cruise and very upset how this is being handled by RC. I cannot imagine how they can get the ship stocked with provisions, gassed, and travelers boarded when the island has nothing! And how are we getting from the airport to the ship? Will there be any taxis? Will we be safe? I am traveling with Southwest Airlines and have been told last night they are cancelled up until October 1st. They to are not fast to cancel their flights. But now I just sit and wait for these companies to make decisions and hope I can find another vacation fast. I have always defended RC in their decisions to change ports due to weather (i have already been on a ship during hurricanes) and they do what's best for their guests but this is just ridiculous.

I am so angry at RCI for dragging their feet on decisions for the Cruises in the next few weeks. They wait until days before when it is impossible to rebook. They know the situation. There is no power, cell towers, water, hotels closed and airlines cancelling flights. I have been an ardent supporter of RCI but not any more. This is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might consider venting your anger at Mother Nature. Royal did not cause the destruction and they are only a small part of the picture. Please consider the poor people who have lost everything and most likely have no ways or means of getting their lives back as they once knew them.

We luckily survived the wrath of Irma here in our area of FL but others not so lucky. We are thankful we are not facing months or years of rebuilding our home and our lives. Please be thankful for what you have and just go with the flo. Enjoy your cruise wherever it takes you.

I to am on the October 21st cruise and very upset how this is being handled by RC. I cannot imagine how they can get the ship stocked with provisions, gassed, and travelers boarded when the island has nothing! And how are we getting from the airport to the ship? Will there be any taxis? Will we be safe? I am traveling with Southwest Airlines and have been told last night they are cancelled up until October 1st. They to are not fast to cancel their flights. But now I just sit and wait for these companies to make decisions and hope I can find another vacation fast. I have always defended RC in their decisions to change ports due to weather (i have already been on a ship during hurricanes) and they do what's best for their guests but this is just ridiculous.

Sorry for your situation. I suggest you turn your TV to a station that has real news and weather and watch. Puerto Rico has been devistated by Maria and many of the other islands by Irma and Maria. Mother Nature is at fault not the airlines or the cruise lines.

From the reports I have heard and seen it may be months/years until visitors can be welcomed. Folks I have talked to in FL who have family in Puerto Rico still don't know if their kin are safe and alive.

What is best for the guests is to begin planning alternative vacations. I know, it is a money issue for many and refunds are needed. Consider the poor people who have lost everything and be thankful for what you have.

You might consider venting your anger at Mother Nature. Royal did not cause the destruction and they are only a small part of the picture. Please consider the poor people who have lost everything and most likely have no ways or means of getting their lives back as they once knew them.

We luckily survived the wrath of Irma here in our area of FL but others not so lucky. We are thankful we are not facing months or years of rebuilding our home and our lives. Please be thankful for what you have and just go with the flo. Enjoy your cruise wherever it takes you.

EXACTLY!! I'm glad you guys didn't have any damage from Irma. My grandparents live in Melbourne and luckily they were the same way! Thankful! :)

I'm surprised and disappointed that Royal Caribbean is insisting these cruises are a go until just a few days in advance. I think not cancelling at least a couple weeks out is disrespectful not only to the passengers, but to the islanders who are trying to recover from a major storm. Many don't have electricity or running water yet, but RCI is going to home port a ship there? Hundreds of people are camping at the airport trying to get a flight to the mainland, but RCI is going to ask vacationers to fly in and out of San Juan? It just makes no sense to me.

The fastest I've seen a port reopen for cruise business was Cozumel after Wilma in 2005...they welcomed the first ships three weeks after the storm. An important distinction is Cozumel isn't a home port, so hotel rooms, airport capacity, fuel, and provisions weren't required to support the ships. The needs of a ship home porting are going to add time to the cruise recovery period. I know I sound like Debbie-Downer, but I'm not sure what Royal Caribbean is thinking. San Juan needs to recover/rebuild their infrastructure before they will be able to support a home ported ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can tell you what RCI is thinking, $$$$$$$

One thing to consider--the media always makes it look worst than it really is. They will find one place that has severe damage which may be 5% of the area and make it look like the whole area is in the same condition. During Harvey a small tornado hit on the end of our street and if you believed the media, tho whole subdivision had been wiped out.

I would assume that Royal have personal in place who are giving them the real story instead of the stuff the media is putting out.

I can tell you what RCI is thinking, $$$$$$$

They are a for-profit corporation - $$$$$$$$ is what they exist for.

Not defending their decisions short term in Puerto Rico, they should just give it up and cancel at least the next 2-3 SJU departures. It's questionable customers can even fly there, or have a hotel to stay at if they can.

I am getting tired of being told where to vent my anger and frustration. The conduct of RCI and the hurricane's disastrous result are two entireely separate things. Are you scheduled for a cruise out of SJ right now , not knowing if you are going or not and being held hostage because they have your money? If not, then you might want to stop criticising those of us in that situation. I guarantee you would be feeling stressed. RCI has no right bringing tourists to go on a luxury vacation when these people have nothing and some in danger of dying. They have no right to load a huge ship with food, water and fuel when this is in a shortage. I appreciate their humanitarian efforts and think that is appropriate. I think they should continue, but let us booked off the hook!

The media is ramping up reporting of this disaster and I agree that some may be sensationalized but if that is what is needed to get attention, so be it.

I have donated to relief efforts and will continue to do so. SO, don't tell me to think about these people in PR. I think of them daily and my heart breaks for them

I'm on the 10/28 sailing. So far I'm on my 4th set of hotel reservations. We're spending a week in Grenada pre-cruise and found out last night that it looks like the airline we booked on from Grenada to San Juan has suspended all flights there. I have emailed them to find out what's going on. (There are no flights showing up on-line).

We're hanging in there. A lot can happen in four weeks. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to go on this cruise, but if not I do have several contingency plans mapped out in case it's cancelled or rerouted.

I'm on the 10/7 sailing of the AOS from San Juan with my wife & 9 yr. old daughter, so we have "skin in the game".

After seeing the current conditions of the SJU airport, very limited flights, no a/c, food, water, long lines for everything, my wife and I question the safety of the whole thing.

This situation at the SJU Airport is a powder keg and reminds me a little bit of The Super Dome during Hurricane Katrina.

RCI must make a final decision no later than Saturday, Sept. 30 @ 2:00 pm and not let us twist in the wind until early next week.

If they cannot guarantee safety and all flights will be permitted into SJ, they must cancel ASAP.

One thing to consider--the media always makes it look worst than it really is. They will find one place that has severe damage which may be 5% of the area and make it look like the whole area is in the same condition. During Harvey a small tornado hit on the end of our street and if you believed the media, tho whole subdivision had been wiped out.

I would assume that Royal have personal in place who are giving them the real story instead of the stuff the media is putting out.

Things that make you go hmmmm....This post. Btw, cruise lines don't have employees on islands that tell them what is happening. Cruise lines get there info from people who live and work on the islands. People such as govt officials, vendors, people who run excursions, port officials.

You might also remember that civil emergency message we got on the Sunday morning, it was the one where they were telling us to get on our roofs instead of waiting in our attics to be rescued if we were trying to escape the high water. That message went out around 6am, and at 11am RC were still telling passengers that they had to get official proof that they could not make it to port or they would lose their money.

Things that make you go hmmmm....This post. Btw, cruise lines don't have employees on islands that tell them what is happening. Cruise lines get there info from people who live and work on the islands. People such as govt officials, vendors, people who run excursions, port officials.

I disagree, RCI does send in teams to evaluate ports.

I did a search, but couldnt find anything. Are there cruises scheduled to leave from PR that are still leaving as scheduled? We are on the AOS in April, and I presume by then some order will be restored, but was curious as to cruises leaving now?

thanks.

The Sept 23rd and 30th cruises have been cancelled. We were to be on the 30th trip from San Juan. They are using the ship for humanitarian relief and taking supplies to St. Thomas and St. Croix after dropping off residents in Puerto Rico from the previous cruise as well as taking some stranded people to Florida. They are acting like the October 7 trip is still a go, but I don't think that will happen. Check out the Roll Call for the 30th Sept cruise on Adventure of the Seas. There is a lot of posts and links to conditions in there towards page 35 of comments.

I disagree, RCI does send in teams to evaluate ports.

Interesting as you always hear we are waiting for info from port officials when it pertains to the port which implies they don't have people there. As far as tourism, vendors etc that info comes directly from them not RC.

The Pan-Am pier isn't the issue. It's the SJU airport and it's current lack of infrastructure to safely and properly provide services to passengers in a timely manner.

The current issues at SJU airport are not being over stated or sensationalized. Do your own research and see the videos and pics.

Would you feel safe flying into SJU in the next 10 days with your family for the sole purpose of a relaxing vacation?

The Pan-Am pier isn't the issue. It's the SJU airport and it's current lack of infrastructure to safely and properly provide services to passengers in a timely manner.

The current issues at SJU airport are not being over stated or sensationalized. Do your own research and see the videos and pics.

Would you feel safe flying into SJU in the next 10 days with your family for the sole purpose of a relaxing vacation?

It's much more than the airport. If they, RC, go solely by airport they are in trouble. Many people have lost and continue to lose there hotel reservations. In addition are vendors able to provide provisions for the ship. Lots of factors are in play.