? about Florida

phabric

Will be on the Elation leaving Port Canaveral. Is it best to fly into Orlando? How far is the Port from Orlando? Is it best to rent a car or a limo, there will be 5 adults? Carnival wants $50pp for transfers.

We may stay a few extra days as the cruise ends Dec 23/06. What is there to do around Port Canaveral? We have done Disney, Universal Studios in the past (we enjoyed them and would go back again). How far is Tampa to go to Bush Gardens. Is it worth to go to? Any suggestions?

There is a thread right now that has answers to a lot of your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=264039

We are flying into Orlando 2 days early for our March cruise on the Glory. We reserved the Hilton Cocoa Beach for two nights using easyclicktravel for $88.00/night. I had read a couple of not so good reviews about the Hilton but they just completed a $22 million renovation so it can't be all that bad.

As far as Busch Gardens - I am not sure of the distance but my husband and I went there a couple years ago when we cruised out of Tampa and personally I didn't really care for it.

Have a great time on your cruise and happy planning!

Diane

There is not really a whole lot to do in the Port Canaveral area. Just beaches and being a native i think its too cold to go in the water.

As for Tampa, thats about an hour and 20 mins from Orlando, and Port Canaveral is about 45 mins the other way. its a long drive but not if you are staying for a few days.

As for flying in to orlando, I am not sure where else you would fly into. Maybe Sanford but I bet that woud cost an arma and a leg as its a small airport. there are tons of companies that have shuttles to the Port.

I just booked the Elation 5 day Bahamas from Port Canaveral for Dec 18/06. I think this may be a new itinerary - Port Canaveral, at sea, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, Port Canaveral.

We have always cruised out of Ft Lauderdale and am interested in any information about Port Canaveral.

We live in the area and have sailed out of port canaveral. The port is a straight shot east of the airport in Orlando and very easy since there is still very little development between the two. About 45 minutes drive.

The biggest attraction in the area is the Kennedy Space Center. You can easily spend a day at the visitor center with exhibits, IMAX movies, tours, etc. If you are into Nascar...Daytona speedway is about 1 hour north and there are several associated attractions there. There is quite a bit of ecological low key stuff to do near the port also. Boat tours, kayaking, etc. Tampa is really a tough 2.5 - 3 hours away.

Tampa is about 90 minutes from the Orlando airport (so about 2 1/2 hours from Port Canaveral). Busch Gardens is a great park and definitely offers a difference from Disney/Universal. The mix of nature, animals, and great rides makes it a good day or two. If you do decide to go to the west coast for a couple of days, the beaches on the gulf are very nice. The water is warmer than the Atlantic side and they are much calmer (the gulf is much shallower). If you've got the time and haven't gone that way before, it's a lot a fun and there's a lot to do.

The other posting pretty much sum up the PC area. Kennedy Space Center is great, Cocoa Beach is a good beach, and Daytona is only an hour north (also a fun beach), but other than the KSC or the beaches or Daytona Speedway, there isn't a lot to do.

If you do go to Tampa, plan on spending a couple of days, don't drive over and back, you'll be spending too much time on the road.

Good luck with the planning.

bill

Archived