Royal Caribbean Delivers 500 Generators to Puerto Rico

MADflyer

I was happy to see RCL found a way to do this. The fact the Jones Act has not been waived for PR is causing serious issues.

They have trouble getting trucks and drivers to the ports as I have understood.

From what I understand, there is no problem getting cargo to the docks. The problem has been distributing the cargo from the docks to those who need it, which the Jones Act does not affect.

From what I understand, there is no problem getting cargo to the docks. The problem has been distributing the cargo from the docks to those who need it, which the Jones Act does not affect.

It is true that the effort has not been well coordinated to get the aid to the citizens.

This Time article was fairly clear on how it will effect the recovery in Puerto Rico.

http://time.com/4959035/puerto-rico-jones-merchant-marine-act-1920/

in the very near and immediate term, you are right, the port is the bottleneck. But over the longer rebuilding process it is detrimental, longer lead times, less competition, higher prices

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17864-royal-caribbean-delivers-500-generators-to-puerto-rico.html

AOS has delivered 500 generators to Puerto Rico and will evacuate 3000 from Puerto Rico, including families of RCI employees.

Awesome news. Will be a big help to the people of the island.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

It is true that the effort has not been well coordinated to get the aid to the citizens.

This Time article was fairly clear on how it will effect the recovery in Puerto Rico.

http://time.com/4959035/puerto-rico-jones-merchant-marine-act-1920/

in the very near and immediate term, you are right, the port is the bottleneck. But over the longer rebuilding process it is detrimental, longer lead times, less competition, higher prices

Here's the other side of the argument:

http://gcaptain.com/american-maritime-industry-fights-back-false-claims-regarding-jones-act-relief-efforts-puerto-rico/

And, as noted in the above article, even the GAO has failed to find that the Jones Act has directly impacted the economy of PR. Note that the shippers who supplied "anecdotal" evidence of higher shipping costs could not provide documentation to prove this claim.

And as I stated in the thread linked in post by pspercy, if anyone really believes that "US consumer goods" are manufactured in the US, and therefore have to be shipped to PR from the US, you sadly don't understand the world economy. Anything brought in from overseas to PR can be brought in on a foreign flag ship, without any restrictions by the Jones Act, and even in the gCaptain article and its related GAO report, the unsupported claims by the shippers is that even for shipping longer distances, from Asia, is cheaper than shipping from the US, then why don't they do this, since that's where the stuff is made. 50% of all ships calling in PR are foreign flag.

You don't realize how vital gasoline is until you are in a situation like this. I'm sure they are working on ways to get more gasoline on to the island, hopefully they have a way to pump it without power once it gets there.

There are Jones Act tankers just waiting to load gasoline and diesel to take to PR, sitting idle in the US Gulf. Once on shore, they need fuel trucks to pump to cars, or generators to power the gas stations. And, the cost of gasoline in Venezuela is $0.60/gallon (that's right, 60 cents per gallon), and they are wallowing in debt and would love to sell more gas. This can be brought to PR in foreign flag tankers, and the shipping distance to PR is 1/3 of that from Houston.

I was happy to see RCL found a way to do this. The fact the Jones Act has not been waived for PR is causing serious issues.

They have trouble getting trucks and drivers to the ports as I have understood.

You would be incorrect. The Jones act was temporarily waived (quite needlessly, but It became political)There are tons of cargo just sitting at the ports waiting for trucks to pick them up. The bottleneck is with the lack of truck drivers reporting to work in Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my understanding, RCI had already been violating the Jones Act earlier this week by having one or two of their ships deliver supplies from Florida to Puerto Rico on their Bahamas flagged ships.

As these supplies are donated, and not carried "for trade" (carried for a fee), they do not violate the Jones Act.