My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

Hi Tahitianbigkahuna

We are on the QE SFO-SYD next February with 3 stops in Tahiti: Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea. Are there any shore excursions available at these ports as we go ashore or do I have to make reservations ahead of time?

If there are excursions available on the docks, what kind are they? Private, semi-private, bus tours?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Robert

There will be some options as you get off the tender ....

On Tahiti I recommend an inner island tour to go see the waterfalls.

On Moorea think land tours ....

On Bora Bora think lagoon tours ....

A big ship like that I would suggest booking something before you leave as excursion vendors can be hard to find with so much demand, another words there might not be much selection if you wait until you get off the tenders.

You really might want to consider the ship's offerings .... most cruise lines allow their excursions to board the tenders first so there is no way to know for sure which time you will be able to get off the ship.

Lets continue ....

Prior to boarding or the evening after you board the Roulotte trucks are a must. Many people visit a night or two before they board, some go have dinner on-board and then stroll down to grab some French desert ....

roulettes%20%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

roulettes%20-%20Larry%20teaser%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

A little video from one of our adventures of what to expect ...

TBK, so I am thinking we would like to experience the Roulotte trucks on our Friday night at the IC before our cruise on Saturday. So, is is possible to have dinner at the Roulotte trucks and then make it back to the IC in time for their Friday night show? And, is there a place to view the show without having dinner? Can you sit at the bar and just have a drink?

Thanks,

Doug

We've finally arrived at the magic moment of boarding the Paul Gauguin ....

Boarding the Paul Gauguin is a breeze as this crew is a well oiled machine. Most cruisers will be over at the IC and take the bus over to the ship. First bus usually starts the boarding at the IC around 2:20 pm.

No matter how you arrive you can not board prior to 3 pm. If we are not at the IC and using the bus we rent a car for the day picking it up at the airport and then dropping it off at the car rental place around 2:30 pm and all will kindly drive you over to the ship area though this last trip Hertz did not have access to the gate to get us close to the ship, they dropped us off across the street and we had to drag our bags over to the boarding area. Hertz representative said they are working on getting gate passes but you might want to confirm with whoever you rent from that they have access to the port gate.

Upon entering you are whisked away to the main saloon where you will produce your passport and a credit card. If your on a cruise leaving FP they will keep your passport. A picture is taken and in a few minutes you have your ID cards which is your 'money' on-board as well as your room key and boarding pass during excursions. A sip of champagne and away you go with a room steward leading you to your room.

After making sure our bags are there we immediately head for the dinning area and if available make our reservations for the specialty restaurants .... and if you don't have mask, fins or snorkel then off to the marina to secure them for the duration of the cruise. We usually bring our own mask and snorkel and then get a pair of fins from the marina.

Then we grab a light late lunch in La Veranda ...

Then we head over to the Marche and the pearl stores, some people grab a fresh bunch of beautiful flowers for their room but the arrangement in the room from the PG is beautiful.

Then we un-pack .... there is a ton of storage under the bed for your bags. There are three 110 volt plugs. One in the bathroom for light duty stuff like a razor. There is a second plug next to the makeup table and a third plug on the side of the refridgerator cabinet.

We then let the room steward know what we prefer in the fridge ....

Then it's time to get ready for dinner ....

Paul%20Gauguin%20moored%20in%20PPT%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

TBK, so I am thinking we would like to experience the Roulotte trucks on our Friday night at the IC before our cruise on Saturday. So, is is possible to have dinner at the Roulotte trucks and then make it back to the IC in time for their Friday night show? And, is there a place to view the show without having dinner? Can you sit at the bar and just have a drink?

Thanks,

Doug

The Roulotte trucks are usually up and going sometime between 6 pm and 6:30 pm. The shows usually start around 8:15 pm so it is possible if you take a taxi. My suggestion would be to find another couple who wants to do the Roulottes and share a taxi there and back.

The front row seats are there for the people who buy the dinner/show pass. However, unless things have recently changed yes you can sit at the bar to the side and watch. It may be very packed in the bar so you might need to order a few drinks at the bar and then go find a place to sit that isn't in the bar area.

I've said this often and the fact is it cost a considerable amount of money to put on these fantastic shows so find a way to support it, even if it's a few drinks from the bar ... do it!

The Roulotte trucks are usually up and going sometime between 6 pm and 6:30 pm. The shows usually start around 8:15 pm so it is possible if you take a taxi. My suggestion would be to find another couple who wants to do the Roulottes and share a taxi there and back.

The front row seats are there for the people who buy the dinner/show pass. However, unless things have recently changed yes you can sit at the bar to the side and watch. It may be very packed in the bar so you might need to order a few drinks at the bar and then go find a place to sit that isn't in the bar area.

I've said this often and the fact is it cost a considerable amount of money to put on these fantastic shows so find a way to support it, even if it's a few drinks from the bar ... do it!

Great, then that's the plan, early dinner at Roulette, then back to the IC for drinks and watch the show!

Thanks,

Doug

We've finally arrived at the magic moment of boarding the Paul Gauguin ....

Boarding the Paul Gauguin is a breeze as this crew is a well oiled machine. Most cruisers will be over at the IC and take the bus over to the ship. First bus usually starts the boarding at the IC around 2:20 pm.

No matter how you arrive you can not board prior to 3 pm. If we are not at the IC and using the bus we rent a car for the day picking it up at the airport and then dropping it off at the car rental place around 2:30 pm and all will kindly drive you over to the ship area though this last trip Hertz did not have access to the gate to get us close to the ship, they dropped us off across the street and we had to drag our bags over to the boarding area. Hertz representative said they are working on getting gate passes but you might want to confirm with whoever you rent from that they have access to the port gate.

Upon entering you are whisked away to the main saloon where you will produce your passport and a credit card. If your on a cruise leaving FP they will keep your passport. A picture is taken and in a few minutes you have your ID cards which is your 'money' on-board as well as your room key and boarding pass during excursions. A sip of champagne and away you go with a room steward leading you to your room.

After making sure our bags are there we immediately head for the dinning area and if available make our reservations for the specialty restaurants .... and if you don't have mask, fins or snorkel then off to the marina to secure them for the duration of the cruise. We usually bring our own mask and snorkel and then get a pair of fins from the marina.

Then we grab a light late lunch in La Veranda ...

Then we head over to the Marche and the pearl stores, some people grab a fresh bunch of beautiful flowers for their room but the arrangement in the room from the PG is beautiful.

Then we un-pack .... there is a ton of storage under the bed for your bags. There are three 110 volt plugs. One in the bathroom for light duty stuff like a razor. There is a second plug next to the makeup table and a third plug on the side of the refridgerator cabinet.

We then let the room steward know what we prefer in the fridge ....

Then it's time to get ready for dinner ....

Paul%20Gauguin%20moored%20in%20PPT%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

We like to have a flower arrangement in our room, I have seen a nice arrangement of tropical flowers(bird of paradise arrangement) that appears in some photos or videos of the cabin. Is that standard, or do you order it separately? Or is that arrangement just part of a celebratory event gift like anniversary, honeymoon or birthday?

I would prefer to stay on the ship once we board, so would not be inclined to get off just to get flowers.

Thanks,

Doug

We like to have a flower arrangement in our room, I have seen a nice arrangement of tropical flowers(bird of paradise arrangement) that appears in some photos or videos of the cabin. Is that standard, or do you order it separately? Or is that arrangement just part of a celebratory event gift like anniversary, honeymoon or birthday?

I would prefer to stay on the ship once we board, so would not be inclined to get off just to get flowers.

Thanks,

Doug

There has always been a flower arrangement in our room ....... but who knows, maybe we are special :)

Well actually I looked through several years of photos and the arrangements can be basic to very exotic .... so I guess you will find out ;)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

There has always been a flower arrangement in our room ....... but who knows, maybe we are special :)

Well actually I looked through several years of photos and the arrangements can be basic to very exotic .... so I guess you will find out ;)

Ok, thanks. I will just wait and see what we get, and if it is too basic, maybe go get an arrangement from Marche.

Doug

OK ............ on to our first stop Huahine.

As you enter Maroe Bay you know your in for an adventure. I always get up early and got to La Palette lounge/bar and grab morning coffee and of course with my camera in tow. Typically the captain schedules our arrivals so you enter the reef entrance around 7 am .... when the best light is out there for pictures.

Coming through the reef ...

entering%20Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20%281%20of%201%29-2-XL.jpg

A fish trap at the entrance ...

entering%20Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20fish%20trap%202%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

fish%20trap%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

It's tight entering the bay ... big ships can not enter, aren't you thankful your on the PG ...

entering%20Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

entering%20Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay2%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Huahine is an easy island to love. Lovely lagoon, mountains in some areas, panoramic vistas, many cultural areas including ancient Marae's, old fish traps and two museums. Then there is the little main village of Fare.

When I continue I'll share my thoughts on the best excursions and things not to miss. I will give you a few tips most don't know about ;)

Looking forward to hearing more about Huahine. Still vacillating between Marc's motu picnic tour and the two different 4 x 4 tours:confused:. While Marc's tour sounds great, we will be doing lagoon tours on Aitutaki and Bora Bora so still considering just doing land on Huahine. And, I want to be back on the ship in time to see the Moonfish demo.

Such happy problems,

Doug

Looking forward to hearing more about Huahine. Still vacillating between Marc's motu picnic tour and the two different 4 x 4 tours:confused:. While Marc's tour sounds great, we will be doing lagoon tours on Aitutaki and Bora Bora so still considering just doing land on Huahine. And, I want to be back on the ship in time to see the Moon fish demo.

Such happy problems,

Doug

In that case I would do a land tour on Huahine .... Take the morning land tour and you will be back by 1 pm so you won't miss the Moon fish and then the Kid's of Huahine show which is around 4 pm.

Ok, time for me to enter my input. We travelled to Tahiti in 1969 while on a return trip to Hawaii. (We had gone to the four main islands of Hawaii for our honeymoon in 1967.) I am happy to say we returned with our children 30 years ago and now in August with our family of ten for our 50th.) We heard about the men landing on the moon via ticker tape while we were in Tahiti, July, 1969. . We rented a car and enjoyed a very beautiful Tahiti. We did a day trip to Moorea. It was rainy and stormy and the "ferry" went to the Bali Hai. An elderly woman in her 60s helped me before our return -- I was so seasick. Getting back to my job at Pan Am in the offices at NYC, the gal who headed the Legal Department's file room, asked me if we went to Bora Bora. "What's Bora Bora?" or No.

Well I thought she would have a heart attack. So for our 25th, we returned to Moorea and Bora Bora. We enjoyed the church with singing, etc. For our 40th, we took a Princess cruise with five couples, friends -- all married over 35 years. I had arranged with the Bishop of the Cook Islands to have a blessing at a Mass for all of us, but, alas, it was not meant to be as the seas were too rough to tender. We could see the church!!. We cruised through the FP, and enjoyed it so much.

For our 50th, I looked into going back with our family, but for a family of ten with little ones, it was just too pricey and too long of a flight. So we went to Kauai again which filled the bill and the budget, renting an estate with a private beach. We have travelled all over the world. French Polynesia is still one of our favorites. That is why I am on here from time to time. We were so LUCKY to go when we were so young -- and to be able to return a few times. I guess it is time to surprise my husband with a trip back either on the PG or ???

For YEARS, I said Bora Bora was my favorite, but after the last trip ten years ago, I realize I really love Moorea best. I am still hoping to treat the family when the little ones get a little older. I loved reading these posts and seeing the pictures. We may be married 50 years, but we are very young still in spirit. We have a couple of trips planned for the next six months, but it is time to think of surprising my husband. We had stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora (I'm not sure who owns this property now, but we had a garden/beach room -- I didn't want over the water if I could see other cottages). We had a beach, a mountain and a sea view. The snorkeling was phenomenal and there was a huge drop off. I would like to stay there -- whatever it might be now. In reality, we would probably do a post cruise stay on Moorea (to check it out for the family). We also stayed pre-cruise at the IC on Moorea for a night -- and yes, the show was great.

One last comment, for our 25th, we rented a car on Bora Bora and went around one way and then around the island the other way. My husband always veers off the beaten path. A very young girl in a residential neighborhood ran up to our car, saw our bread and requested Pan, Pan (bread) pointing to my loaf -- she traded us a flower. She ran off laughing -- no doubt thinking she got the best end of the bargain. But it is we who will always remember that moment. I still have that flower, pressed, into my album of pictures. Life is great!!!!!

The last couple of hours have felt like I was reading a great book. I am so anxious to hear the rest of the story! I know all of my questions will be answered and I don't want to jump ahead. We are cruising for the first time on PG and this will only be our second cruise. My husband surprised me with the cruise as a gift for my 50th birthday. Both happening in December. I can not wait to go and I feel like your tips will be invaluable!! Your photography tip was noted and any future tips would be appreciated. You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for sharing!!

Rachelle

One last comment, for our 25th, we rented a car on Bora Bora and went around one way and then around the island the other way. My husband always veers off the beaten path. A very young girl in a residential neighborhood ran up to our car, saw our bread and requested Pan, Pan (bread) pointing to my loaf -- she traded us a flower. She ran off laughing -- no doubt thinking she got the best end of the bargain. But it is we who will always remember that moment. I still have that flower, pressed, into my album of pictures. Life is great!!!!!

Wonderful!

The last couple of hours have felt like I was reading a great book. I am so anxious to hear the rest of the story! I know all of my questions will be answered and I don't want to jump ahead. We are cruising for the first time on PG and this will only be our second cruise. My husband surprised me with the cruise as a gift for my 50th birthday. Both happening in December. I can not wait to go and I feel like your tips will be invaluable!! Your photography tip was noted and any future tips would be appreciated. You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you for the kind words .... this will be a very long thread as I've just scratched the surface. What a nice present, the first cruise we did to FP was for my 50th, that was trip #7. Now 18 trips total and we've done FP several different ways and I can attest that the best way for the first timer is on the PG. You will be exposed to several different islands and get just enough of each to help you decide which islands float your boat. Each offers a different flavor of Polynesian paradise.

So many returnees include an island pre/post cruise that they loved and wanted a bit more of. We like to pick a PG cruise that gives us something new as well as the tried and true. As we know the Society Islands, the Atolls and the Cook's well I think our next trip will need to include the Marquesas or another South Pacific country like Tonga, Samoa or Fuji.

Anyway thanks again for the kudos and hang on as it's about the get really good as we travel through Huahine and then on to Tahaa.

Wonderful!

Great story, thanks for sharing ...

As I travel through the islands giving advise and information I want everyone to feel free to contribute though it would be a suggestion that we stay on track with the island being discussed, this will make it easy for others to glean information about each island.

OK ... lets continue ....

Huahine has two parts, Nui and Iti. Nui meaning large, Iti meaning small. The vast majority of tourist only see Nui which to me is such a shame as the Iti side is the road less traveled and absolutely beautiful.

For the first timer to Huahine I would recommend going on an excursion either ship or private. It's easy when everything is right there and all you need to do is hop on and enjoy the day.

For you that fell adventurous and/or have been to Huahine before there are some other options.

Hint: On board the PG there is an on-board expert, Mark Endowes. Mark lived on Huahine for many years and probably could shine some current information for your day. Pull Mark aside and pick his brain. I say this has things can change quickly in FP and having access to current information can be helpful.

Mark's Huahine home on Maroe Bay ... though I think it is now not near as nice as when Mark lived in it.

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20Mark%20Endowes%20old%20home%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Mark's view ...

Huahine%20Maroe%20Bay%20looking%20toward%20opening%20%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

As I just mentioned things can change quickly in FP. Car rentals is one such thing. 5 - 10 years ago you could rent a car right from the tender drop off location, not now. Then the rental place went to a gas station behind the main store in Fare and of course the airport. Avis and Europcar had rentals but it's all different now. I've sent an email to a friend who lives on Huahine to give me the latest and greatest for car rentals which I'll share sometime hopefully today. I do know there is a rental place over by the airport who rents cars/scooters but the trick is to get there ... so give me today to get the latest info on rentals.

For the most part I would suggest something on land as far as an excursion or maybe a combo land/sea. The only reason I say this is you will have other islands where the snorkeling is superior. Any of the 4X4 or quad excursions are good and I may suggest the road less traveled (Iti) would be a suggestion. If your into beautiful panoramic pictures the Iti side really delivers.

Nui - HHN-6225 or HHN-2024

Iti - HHN-2025 or HHN-6226

For something a little less stressful on your body take HHN-2300. You ride by coach.

Huahine%202-XL.jpg

Huahine%20Iti%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

As far as private tours the most popular is Mark's ....

http://huahine-nautique.com/index.html

I've done Mark's numerous times and what he does is provide a great time. No it isn't the best snorkeling location but the vibe is really good and Marc and his staff makes sure everyone has a good time. If you take the combo tour or the Motu picnic the tours are designed to have you back by 3 pm ....

Marcs%20tour%20huahine%20instagram-L.jpg

Over the years the tour has changed a bit to accomadate the need for people wanting to be back by 3 pm. In years past after the BBQ on the beach we would contiune around Iti, feed the sharks and then return back to the tender drop off location but I believe that isn't the case any longer, maybe someone can chime in that has been on Marc's sometime this year.

I'll continue with the things to do a bit later today ... and hopefully have the most current skinny on the rentals ;)

OK .... here is the current skinny on car/scooter rentals on Huahine as of November 8, 2017

If you go check Avis or Europcar on their international web sites nothing will come up for Huahine. However, there are private places who represent these companies on Huahine. Hard to get details so you might need to do a bit of internet searching.

Europcar - The local agent is north of the center of Fare near the post office, there is also a counter at the airport. You must make contact by phone to have someone meet you. 40 68 82 59.

Avis - Local representative has a trailer located next to the Mobil Station behind the large market in Fare. Usually the representative is at the airport, you will need to call to meet them at the trailer. 40 68 73 34

Huahine Activities which has 2 locations. The one you want is located on the main street in Fare, next to Chez Guynette. 40 68 75 53 or 8772 27 85. They do have an email to make contact, make sure you mention this is for a rental from their Fare location: contact@fare-maeva.com

There are taxis on Huahine .... who would of thought. Enite Taxi 40 68 82 37 or 87 73 05 07. Katia Taxi 89 27 95 62.

I'll continue on the journey later and I'll give you more tips for Huahine ....

Pan Am Girl .... I finally notice how long your post was ... nice read.

There are less expensive ways to go with family. ATN usually has there buy one adult ticket get a kid ticket free. PG often charges nothing for kids other than the airfare. Another way is to rent a house on an island for the entire family to share. I've done that with my grown children ...... we provide the accommodation / food .... they get themselves there.

Moorea is an easy island to love and I get it, many prefer Moorea over Bora Bora.

Hotel Bora Bora is is shambles just sitting there empty for many many years. I've heard that a group wants to develop it and bring it back to it's glory days. When it was built it was the Grande Dame of Bora Bora, beautiful location. Over the years we've seen other resorts come and go and it is sad seeing a once grand resort sit empty and in shambles.

Pan Am .... my my ... brings back memories. One of the main players in the Clipper flights to the South Pacific. I love going out on the lagoon of Aitutaki and look over the old facility for the Clippers, great history and Pan Am played an important role.