ID THEFT During Check-IN - Watch OUT

heatherlsi

We were on the Carnival Legend in October. We left from New York. We live in Indiana and flew to NY, then paid cash for a cab to the terminal. The only people we showed our ID to in New York were the check in personnel at the terminal. We didn't use our credit cards in the city either. A few weeks after we got back my husband received three credit cards in the mail that were opened in the New York area at Target, Sears and a sporting goods store. They were opened using our address, phone number, names, etc. A few weeks ago I was similarly victimized. I would like to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience. I've contacted Carnival and the FTC. If this has happened to you I will share the names of the people investigating our case.

Thanks,

Heather

heatherlsi@yahoo.com

We were on the Carnival Legend in October. We left from New York. We live in Indiana and flew to NY, then paid cash for a cab to the terminal. The only people we showed our ID to in New York were the check in personnel at the terminal. We didn't use our credit cards in the city either. A few weeks after we got back my husband received three credit cards in the mail that were opened in the New York area at Target, Sears and a sporting goods store. They were opened using our address, phone number, names, etc. A few weeks ago I was similarly victimized. I would like to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience. I've contacted Carnival and the FTC. If this has happened to you I will share the names of the people investigating our case.

Thanks,

Heather

heatherlsi@yahoo.com

A word of caution to all.

This probably resulted from some piece of trash (or something the OP's thought was trash) that was not properly thrown away.

It is not just your credit cards that you need to watch but also receipts, itineraries, or anything else that might have name address and other personal info on it, especially when you are away from home.

Did you give these people your SS#?? I NEVER put my SS# on my Sail and Sign app. Have you made any online purchases in the last few months? Or year? I'm just confused as to how anyone could open a credit account with just your name and address... unless you provided your SS number. Without a physical credit card, or SS number, I know Target and Sears will not open an account for you... Keep in mind that it very well could be coincidence that you were in NY... Identity theft happens in MANY ways, everywhere... so while you may live in one part of the country, your information could end up in many other places. I would investigate ALL possibilities rather than just looking in one spot... Good luck...

How identity thieves get your personal information:

• They get information from businesses or other institutions by:
    • stealing records or information while they're on the job
    • bribing an employee who has access to these records
    • hacking these records
    • conning information out of employees

[*]They may steal your mail, including bank and credit card statements, credit card offers, new checks, and tax information.

[*]They may rummage through your trash, the trash of businesses, or public trash dumps in a practice known as "dumpster diving."

[*]They may get your credit reports by abusing their employer's authorized access to them, or by posing as a landlord, employer, or someone else who may have a legal right to access your report.

[*]They may steal your credit or debit card numbers by capturing the information in a data storage device in a practice known as "skimming." They may swipe your card for an actual purchase, or attach the device to an ATM machine where you may enter or swipe your card.

[*]They may steal your wallet or purse.

[*]They may complete a "change of address form" to divert your mail to another location.

[*]They may steal personal information they find in your home.

[*]They may steal personal information from you through email or phone by posing as legitimate companies and claiming that you have a problem with your account. This practice is known as "phishing" online, or pretexting by phone.

The theives did have both of our social security numbers. We didn't want to believe that the theft had happened during checkin until it happened to BOTH my husband and I. If we shop online we use one card or the other - never both at the same time. Like I said, while we were in NY, we used only cash so there weren't any receipts. Why do they ask for a ss# if it isn't required? We are working with the detectives to figure out how it happened. So far the most likely source is Carnival. That's why I'm posting to see if this has happened to anyone else. I posted on a different message board and have already received one reply which adds a little more weight to the possibility that someone doing the checkin is selling passenger information. I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops or ruin anyone's vacation - just a warning to be careful so you don't end up with the same problem. I know I'll be a lot more careful about who I give my information to in the future.

I don't remember Carnival requesting our social security numbers at check in -- does Carnival ask for this information?? Sorry having a senior moment, but I don't know why Carnival would possibly need social security numbers. SS number is not on passports either so not sure where else they'd be able to obtain this information.

I've never been asked for my SS # either. But if they were asked for it at the pier, it is possible that a dishonest employee did have something to do with it. All major companies have dishonest employees. I have a friend whose CC was charged $1000 on airline tickets. The only place she used it was at a major restaurant chain and the employee that took her CC had to be reminded twice that she wanted her CC back. The employee was charged with theft.

This should serve as a warning...if you are asked for your SS# at the pier, demand to know why and ask to speak with a supervisor.

Isn't it ridiculous when low life scum do this kind of theft? The stupid thing is, this is one of the most TRACEABLE things they could do! Videos at retail stores, tracking IP addresses online, etc...

Anyone who tries identity theft should be shot.

I am beginning to omit my SS# whenever possible, including having it removed from my driver's license. It is amazing, however, that identity theft can occur so easily. I was recently informed of fraudulent charges to my credit card that took place in Canada. I live in Ohio and hadn't visited Canada, even briefly. My credit card company immediately informed me of the questionable charges, but a counterfeit card had been produced and "swiped" during the transaction. I had never lost or misplaced my card. To this day, I can't explain how any of this information was obtained. BEWARE!!!!

I am beginning to omit my SS# whenever possible, including having it removed from my driver's license.

It is a good idea to remove your SS# from everything. Our state no longer allows you to use your SS# as your driver's license #. In fact, there are very few places that can require you to provide your SS#, so be very careful before providing it.

I am beginning to omit my SS# whenever possible, including having it removed from my driver's license. It is amazing, however, that identity theft can occur so easily. I was recently informed of fraudulent charges to my credit card that took place in Canada. I live in Ohio and hadn't visited Canada, even briefly. My credit card company immediately informed me of the questionable charges, but a counterfeit card had been produced and "swiped" during the transaction. I had never lost or misplaced my card. To this day, I can't explain how any of this information was obtained. BEWARE!!!!

It can happen anywhere.. bank machines ,, restaurants any store.. Myself I haven't had a CC in 18 yrs and just got my 1st one again .. and am very reluctant to use it.. but if you don't put your SS or SI (Canada) .. that info should be given to no one!!!

You're right. It's way too easy! My CC company called me about 12 months ago to verify that I was opening up another account and that it was flagged because the person wanting to open it was using my last known address-an apartment I had moved out of 3 years ago. Thank goodness they called me. They cancelled the confirmation on the card and told me to check with Equifax, etc to make sure others hadnt been opened. Sure enough there were FOUR other credit cards opened in my name that were being used. It took me over 8 months to get all that bad credit off of my reports and now I check all three reporting companies every few months. Scary stuff.

laura

Both my husband and I have both been victims of identity theft. Four years ago I purchased pet insurance for my dogs and someone at the company was selling information on the clients. Therefore I had to alert all three credit bureaus and put a notice on my credit that I have to be contacted before any lines of credit can be opened.

Just last week, someone obtained my husband's company credit card info and made numerous large purchases to the same business. On the third purchase of several hundred dollars, the credit card company denied it. When we got back in the country (we were on our cruise when this was going on) he contacted them when he was unable to use his card legitamently. The CC company thinks a waiter at a restaurant used a scanning device to obtain his number. Therefore, from now on we will accompany the waiters when they take our card to ring up the bill. Seems a nuisance, but you can never be too careful.

I wouldn't doubt the OP's thoughts that it could have happened while checking in for the cruise. You just never know. Too bad there are so many fraudulent people out there having to make it a pain in the butt for the rest of us.

The SSN isn't the problem, it's these scum bag credit card companies, banks and credit reporting services. If the presidents of those companies and their boards of directors were held responsible whenever fraud happened and they were fined/jailed personally, they would insure that you were who you said you were before credit was issued and this whole problem would go away.

The SSN isn't the problem, it's these scum bag credit card companies, banks and credit reporting services. If the presidents of those companies and their boards of directors were held responsible whenever fraud happened and they were fined/jailed personally, they would insure that you were who you said you were before credit was issued and this whole problem would go away.

Well I know when I applied for a line of credit (thru a bank) they asked for everything under the sun (except SI #)... I had to provide proof ofwho I was along with paystubs.. As for credit cards.. they only want your money.. and they hire whom they can to make the sales:(

This statement doesn't make a whole lotta sense. It is like saying" Your existence is to blame for you being victimized."

Be aware, a lot of colleges and universities still use SSN's as student ID numbers. Your ssn is everywhere. We've never had a problem, but the best thing to do is to check your credit report regularly. I also would have contacted Carnival and made them aware and they could watch the person who checked you in. You can't be the only one this has happened to and if others reported it, then the person would be easy to catch. I'm sure they know from computer records who it was.

Be aware, a lot of colleges and universities still use SSN's as student ID numbers. Your ssn is everywhere. We've never had a problem, but the best thing to do is to check your credit report regularly. I also would have contacted Carnival and made them aware and they could watch the person who checked you in. You can't be the only one this has happened to and if others reported it, then the person would be easy to catch. I'm sure they know from computer records who it was.

This is part of the reason my school changed to a randomly assigned number. One more number to remember but well worth it.

When I applied for the bar exam, they requested a SS# but they had a detailed paragraph about why it was optional. Be aware that unless it is a government agency, nobody can really require you to give your SS#, maybe your employer can, but that's it.

Yes Carnival does ask for your SS #...online! When you fill out your Funpass check in form! I know because I did it last week and I did put my SS # in because I was told it was because of Homeland security back ground checks they are doing on the passengers...to avoid potential security risks...I just did it thinking I would feel better if everyone had a back ground check done...but what if they do have crooked employees....I didn't even think about it!

CRAP!

Yes Carnival does ask for your SS #...online! When you fill out your Funpass check in form! I know because I did it last week and I did put my SS # in because I was told it was because of Homeland security back ground checks they are doing on the passengers...to avoid potential security risks...I just did it thinking I would feel better if everyone had a back ground check done...but what if they do have crooked employees....I didn't even think about it!

CRAP!

The SS# field on your fun pass is optional, it is not a required field. Same with the physical documentation you get with your docs... you don't have to (nor would I ever) put your SS# down.

Archived