Oh My Guilty Soul...

Californiacruizers

I always travel with my DD (now 11), she is my travel partner and I enjoy experiencing our adventures together. My boys are now 26 and 28 and live in different states. I long for those days of traveling with them too.

Judging from all the responses here...I am the oddball :):)

Don't get me wrong I enjoy traveling with my kids Which is why I was torn in the 1st place. We are booked on the Vista for spring break. Yet I am really looking forward to a rare moment to myself.

In my opinion, as long as you have a responsible substitute (which you do) I think it is BETTER FOR YOUR CHILDREN if you take a little time to yourself once in a while.

For one thing, it is good for them to have time with other care-givers, who may do things a bit different. (Sound like you are already doing this one!) Second, I think it is good for children to remember once in a while that although they are SUPER important to you, the whole world doesn't revolve around them. This will be a good lesson for them later in life too.

Since our boys were little, we had a "Camp Grandma" one week each summer with each of their two sets of Grandparents. Let me tell you, they LOVE it. They are teenagers and they STILL love it. Plus, my mother, and my wife's parents have each told us how much that time with their grandsons have meant to them. So, we enjoy the alone time, but they all look forward to it even more than we do. Win-Win-Win.

I always travel with my DD (now 11), she is my travel partner and I enjoy experiencing our adventures together. My boys are now 26 and 28 and live in different states. I long for those days of traveling with them too.

Judging from all the responses here...I am the oddball :):)

You're not the only oddball here. We've never vacationed without our children outside of our honeymoon. I certainly don't judge others who do, but it's just not for me.

You're not the only oddball here. We've never vacationed without our children outside of our honeymoon. I certainly don't judge others who do, but it's just not for me.

My DH and I did it all. We had family trips with the 3 children and then trips that we enjoyed by ourselves and then I had my trips with my girlfriends, leaving dad at home with the kids.

Now that my kids are grown, have children of their own and my DH has passed away, I enjoy vacationing with them as adults [they each take turns cruising with me] and I give the grand's a turn with me too.

You'll always have doubts whether you're doing the right thing or not, it's to be expected of a caring and loving mother. That said, allow yourself the "me" time, it will make for a much more loving and caring you!

Enjoy your cruise!

My DH and I did it all. We had family trips with the 3 children and then trips that we enjoyed by ourselves and then I had my trips with my girlfriends, leaving dad at home with the kids.

Now that my kids are grown, have children of their own and my DH has passed away, I enjoy vacationing with them as adults [they each take turns cruising with me] and I give the grand's a turn with me too.

You'll always have doubts whether you're doing the right thing or not, it's to be expected of a caring and loving mother. That said, allow yourself the "me" time, it will make for a much more loving and caring you!

Enjoy your cruise!

I love when my parents vacation with us! The kids love having great experiences with them like Disney World, camping, snorkeling, meeting a dolphin... Plus, we have built in caregivers if we want a date night. Best of both worlds. We are very blessed to be able to travel with them! My Dad is coming with us on our next cruise but my mom is staying at home because she's not a fan of cruises :confused:

As the others have said...go for it!! I raised my beautiful daughters who are now 37 and 29 mostly as a single parent..as long as I knew they were well cared for and happy while I was gone I was okay...you sound like you have a wonderful caregiver so go enjoy and refresh yourself!!!

I'm with most of the others here, GO FOR IT! I'm a strong believer in kid-free vacations at least once a year. DH and I always have 1 or 2 sailings a year without our kids. I love them to pieces (ages 9, 11,14, 19) and I absolutely LOVE cruising with them, but it's exhausting so I truly enjoy our kid-free cruises as well :) I also get 1 girls trip each year which I always look forward to. So go and enjoy every second! And happy birthday!!!

Don't get me wrong I enjoy traveling with my kids Which is why I was torn in the 1st place. We are booked on the Vista for spring break. Yet I am really looking forward to a rare moment to myself.

It's ok to love going with the kids and enjoying some time without them. My Fiancee and I took a cruise without the girls last year. It was nice to have that time. Next year we are repeating the same cruise with the girls. There is nothing wrong with doing something for yourself.

We are leaving tomorrow just my husband and I for five days. My mom is staying with my son. I felt a twinge if guilt but that has subsided. I totally trust my mom with my son but also love traveling with our kids and family. This is the first cruise since 2002 that my husband and I went on totally alone. We have cruised earlier this year with my family and took my nieces. You work hard and deserve to have time to yourself. You will never not worry or feel guilt but it's worth it to come back refreshed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums