Oh My Guilty Soul...

Californiacruizers

I've just received an e-mail from Carnival "Whoo your September VIFP Has Arrived" I click on the link and listed are cruises from my home port, Long Beach; sailing to Baja. My options are 2, 3,4 days trips. Lo and behold there was a 2 Day sailing over my birthday weekend in December. I priced it out for one person and it was only $429.00. I need a getaway...a SOLO. get away from the kids, especially my dear 5 YEAR OLD. No cooking, cleaning,whining, fighting.. ah what a life if only for 2 days.

Just as I was about to pay the deposit extreme guilt set in. How many of you, especially parents better yet single parent as I am would bite the bullet and go solo?

If I had reliable, trustworthy people to watch my children/child, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But then, I'm a grandma that would push you out the door so I could spend time with my grands. :)

Not a grandma yet, but I'm in complete agreement. I would be a distant cloud of dust already as long as my kids were in good hands.

My husband and I are looking distance and have lots of perks for flying and hotels. I go away as much as I can. Sometimes two weekends a month. My kids stay home, the youngest with his father and the older stays alone. And I don't feel guilty at all. My husband and I are only together Fri night-mon morn. Couples times is important to us. Go for it. They probably need a break from you too!

My husband and I are looking distance and have lots of perks for flying and hotels. I go away as much as I can. Sometimes two weekends a month. My kids stay home, the youngest with his father and the older stays alone. And I don't feel guilty at all. My husband and I are only together Fri night-mon morn. Couples times is important to us. Go for it. They probably need a break from you too!

*long distance

I've just received an e-mail from Carnival "Whoo your September VIFP Has Arrived" I click on the link and listed are cruises from my home port, Long Beach; sailing to Baja. My options are 2, 3,4 days trips. Lo and behold there was a 2 Day sailing over my birthday weekend in December. I priced it out for one person and it was only $429.00. I need a getaway...a SOLO. get away from the kids, especially my dear 5 YEAR OLD. No cooking, cleaning,whining, fighting.. ah what a life if only for 2 days.

Just as I was about to pay the deposit extreme guilt set in. How many of you, especially parents better yet single parent as I am would bite the bullet and go solo?

I'm not a parent, but GO!! It's not the same, but I did take care of my FIL and then MIL as they aged and learned that if I took time for myself now and then, I was happier and could do a better job with them.

Another go for it vote! Self care is critical to good parenting. Realizing at this stage of my life how unhealthy that guilt can be.

Ditto! Another vote FOR going. I didn't see any mention of the father. First alternative would be for the daddy to step in if that is an option while you're gone. Good daddies would welcome that time with his offspring.

I'm going to go for it!!!!

More than likely they will stay with Great-Grand Ma is she 87 and is in her words a "spring Chicken, not a grey goose". She enjoys the company of both my 14 year old son and 5 year old daughter. She provides after school care for my daughter by the time I get there to pick her up she has already eaten a full dinner and is always sitting with "Granny-Granny" having homemade dessert(yesterday it was peach cobbler). Anyhow, I am going to go "turn up" as they say. I hope I don't forget how to act and end up on the news(totally kidding I am such a bore).

Thanks for the extra boost that I needed to hit the submit button. I will post a review when I return.

I've been there! In fact, I booked a solo trip to WDW for a weekend this coming Dec but chickened out that night, while I could still cancel my airfare without penalty.

I did have a girls' weekend last January, my son and house are still in one piece, and my husband didn't go screaming into the night when I got home, so I consider it a win!

I know everyone is saying go, and I agree if you know your little will be in good hands, but just know that I totally get what you're feeling!

Go! Your children will survive without you. Do not feel guilty, as long as they're with a competent caretaker that you trust, go and have a good time. We left our kids every now and then to get away. Do it!

I'm going to go for it!!!!

More than likely they will stay with Great-Grand Ma is she 87 and is in her words a "spring Chicken, not a grey goose". She enjoys the company of both my 14 year old son and 5 year old daughter. She provides after school care for my daughter by the time I get there to pick her up she has already eaten a full dinner and is always sitting with "Granny-Granny" having homemade dessert(yesterday it was peach cobbler). Anyhow, I am going to go "turn up" as they say. I hope I don't forget how to act and end up on the news(totally kidding I am such a bore).

Thanks for the extra boost that I needed to hit the submit button. I will post a review when I return.

Enjoy your cruise! Sounds like you have a wonderful spring-chicken great grandma!

It's only two days... no guilt!! You'll be a better mama after relaxing and feeding your soul with a little time being catered to.

Yes indeed. Two years ago, we left our three kids, ages 8, 10, & 12, with grandma and went to Europe for three weeks! 😳 Although I love my boys dearly, it was the best 3 weeks of my life. I didn't feel guilty one little bit. 😉

Sorry not a parent nor a grandparent, but I am a caregiver for my parents now, and getting away is practically impossible for me. So I am very much acquainted with "caregiver burnout", and that can also pertain to parents of young, or younger children. I totally get the need to get away! If you have a person who is trustworthy enough to leave your most treasured family members with in their care, then I say "GO FOR IT"!!

You will be a better person, better parent , better caregiver, after you have some "YOU" time, even if it is just two or three days. OP, hope you can manage to do this, and enjoy to the fullest.

I always travel with my DD (now 11), she is my travel partner and I enjoy experiencing our adventures together. My boys are now 26 and 28 and live in different states. I long for those days of traveling with them too.

Judging from all the responses here...I am the oddball :):)

I always travel with my DD (now 11), she is my travel partner and I enjoy experiencing our adventures together. My boys are now 26 and 28 and live in different states. I long for those days of traveling with them too.

Judging from all the responses here...I am the oddball :):)

I actually LOVE traveling with my son (soon to be 5 yrs old). He's a great little travel buddy, he loves going on 'eventures'. It's the everyday routine and its accompanying 'struggles' that makes me wish for the break!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have a 5 year old and would go if I had childcare. It's just a couple days and moms deserve some time to recharge too. I adore my kids. We only travel with them, but that's more that we don't have anyone that could watch them. If we could get away without, I'd do a short trip like that no problem. I'd miss them, but that's ok too.