Air pricing

llarsen

Thank you everyone for all the information and suggestions.

I'm sure I have now checked every possible flight/train combination to all possible airports, and I'm finding they aren't worth the little savings because it also requires $taxi to train station, $ticket for train, and we would also miss most of our first day in Florence with all the traveling.

The only significant savings is by flying into London and then taking a one way flight to Florence. The whole idea of having to go through customs and then check back in, and go through security for our second flight makes me nervous. And again, all of this would take up our whole day whereas we could be in Florence enjoying the day if we just pay the $$$ for the flight that makes sense.

I keep hearing "Open Jaw". I have been searching "Multi City" along with one-way. Is Multi City the same as Open Jaw?

Thanks again!

I keep hearing "Open Jaw". I have been searching "Multi City" along with one-way. Is Multi City the same as Open Jaw?

Thanks again!

Sort of. Multi City is a way to search for flights while Open Jaw is an airline term for flying to one city and returning from another which I believe is what you are planning on doing.

Searching with "Multi City" can work for Open Jaw as well as multiple flights, more than a simple round trip including an "Open Jaw". Hope this explains the differences and similarities.

Thanks again!

pretty much

Sometimes it costs a bit more for convenience

I would just keep checking the flight combinations you are most happy with & when the price is right for you book it

also compare with what Oceania will give you with a deviation for the city pairs you want

You can submit the flights you want & see if they can do it without an upcharge

then you can make an informed choice

JMO

Yes, I think I will submit to Oceania the combination that works best for us. Getting into Florence in the morning is really important and there is only one flight. I'm waiting for our travel companions to get back in town to discuss it.

Hopefully, Oceania will give us a decent price!

Thanks everyone!

As per others when using an online booking engine to arrange an open jaw you select multi-city

Paraphrase Wikipedia: (I did not think of these definitions)

Destination open-jaw could be A->B, travel/cruise, C->A

Or

Origin open-jaw: A->B, stay, B->C

or

Double open-jaw: A->B, travel C->D

Those mutli-city flights MIGHT not qualify those as open jaw which is priced as a return rather than two one-ways as in destination open jaw above

Example

A->B, travel/cruise, C->A

I believe (I will be hopefully corrected) the distance between B and C must be no greater than the longest of the flight segments (A->B or C->A) to qualify as open-jaw return pricing

Open jaw:

New York -> Barcelona

cruise ends in Rome

Rome -> New York

That would be open jaw

But this will be priced as two one ways:

New York -> Miami

transatlantic cruise to Barcelona

Barcelona -> New York

YEAH! I found an alternate plan doing everything we were planning to do... and will save $1,000pp on air!

I moved our Lake Como Post-stay ahead of what we planned for Florence/Rome Pre-Stay and the price on air dropped to $1,111 compared to the $1,651 price we were looking at.

We have good flight choices on Air Canada and American, but the American return flight says "Operated by British Air" so hopefully it will be British Air and not AA.

Everything seems to be falling into place now.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Happy cruising!

YEAH! I found an alternate plan doing everything we were planning to do... and will save $1,000pp on air!

I moved our Lake Como Post-stay ahead of what we planned for Florence/Rome Pre-Stay and the price on air dropped to $1,111 compared to the $1,651 price we were looking at.

We have good flight choices on Air Canada and American, but the American return flight says "Operated by British Air" so hopefully it will be British Air and not AA.

Everything seems to be falling into place now.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Happy cruising!

Congrats..there is usually a way if you keep looking at the issue and start thinking of alternatives.

Your flight will be BA if it says operated by BA.