Lost that Caribbean Feeling

yuvraj

I understand you have lost that caribbean feeling. So my advice to you is (cue Stephen Stills,) If you can't be, on the cruise you love, then love the cruise you're on.

I always listen to Stephen Stills advice, for what it's worth.:p

I've sailed on Anthem 11 times, and on sea days and some sail away from the ports, have always heard a live reggae band at the pool. If it's raining or cold they sometimes play in 270. There is also a live house rock/dance band in the Music Hall, live Latin band in Boleros, tribute band, piano player/singer in Schooner Bar, and a guitar player/singer in Michael's pub. The only time I've heard a DJ is in the Music Hall after midnight.

Memories of Caribbean cruises 30 yrs ago ...

Steel bands playing on deck. ice carvings, outdoor food events etc. Created a Caribbean atmosphere which I really enjoyed so for a number of years, flying from UK to Miami and catching a RCI cruise became a regular thing.

Then for various reasons focused on European itineraries so we have a 20+ year gap.

Over past 2 years, I have gone back to booking Caribbean cruises half expecting to experience the same on ship atmosphere, especially with the bands.

The cruises have been great but the Caribbean feel has gone. Does anyone else feel the same or can relate to what I am saying? Could it be because of the ships I am choosing (Oasis class)? Would I get the old Caribbean feel if I sailed on the older, smaller ships perhaps on the Southern Caribbean itinerary?

I could write for an hour on this but will sum up (in my opinion only) the pros and cons of yesteryear, with a few notes.

Pros of the past- steel bands, ice carvings, food events inc. midnight buffet, motion of the ocean (vs jerky stabilizers), top notch food and selection (dining room mainly), superior waitstaff service, undeveloped ports vs today, loose age enforcement "laws" onboard (drinking, gambling), of course that is a matter of opinion since I was younger at the time

Cons of the past- too many smoking areas (imo), ships not a nice as today overall, booking via telephone and not seeing the prices/deals like today. no internet to research ports/activity/ and reviews.

To the OP, stick with smaller ships. As someone mentioned, Allure had a corporate feel. I felt the same from top to bottom on Oasis. I did not feel like I was on a cruise! Most of the staff seemed unhappy. Stick to islands like Grenada, Dominica (yn), ABC islands, and any island less traveled by cruise ships.