Rewards credit cards

CA_Cruzing

I have a barclay arrival plus card. Double miles on every dollar spent plus a 5% reward back for miles used. You use your miles to get travel statement credits. 10,000 miles equals $100 in travel statement credit. Unlike a lot of other cards, this card doesn't just give airline miles. Travel statement credits can be applied to uber, taxi, hotel, airfare and cruise fare. You can get cash back and not apply miles to travel charges, but you don't get nearly as much bang for your buck. They have a good sign on bonus (50,000 miles if you spend $3000 on first 3 months). Annual fee is $89, but is waived the first year. APR isn't great, but if you use it and intend to pay off monthly it shouldn't be a big problem. Also, they have travel insurance for travel paid for with your card.

This is the card we use and we love it. We use the Barclay Arrival Plus for all of our expenses and have earned a crazy amount of credits. Heck, my daughter just flew roundtrip to Belgium on their dime!

I did a lot of research before deciding which card would work best for us. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who carries a balance, but the flexibility of it can't be beaten.

Yes, but the Carnival card only gives you 1% back towards cruising. You would probably be better off with something like the Capital One Venture card, for 2% back towards travel. It's now a metal card, and $59 annual fee after the first year, but it's worth it if you use your card. Let's say you have $400 in rewards, spend $330 on board Carnival, you can have that balance erased, leaving a balance in rewards of $70.

Spend $12,000 on your Carnival Card within a year, you'll yield $120 in Carnival Credit.

Spend $12,000 on the Capital one Venture, you'll yield $240 in comped travel (-$59 annual fee).

Well the Carnival Card gives you 2 points per dollar on carnival purchases, 1 point per dollar on other purchases but they also have boosters where you can get up to 5 or 7 points per dollar by making purchases through various online retailers. You can also get 1.5% redemption if you do it right. If you save 100,000 points you get a $1,500 cruise. I've also heard that if you redeem any points on a carnival purchase of $1,500 or more you get the 1.5 redemption rate. It may not be the best but it may be good for someone who doesn't want an annual fee and doesn't do a lot of flying.

We're actually going to start using the "Bank of America Premium Rewards Card", ourselves. The drawback is the annual fee, $95, but it includes $100 in airline incidentals annually, and TSA Pre-Check every 4 years.

It is 2% back on dining and travel, 1.5% back on everything else. If you build up a retirement savings with Merrill Lynch, that can jump as high as 3.5% back on travel, 2.62% back on everything else. What sweaters the pot for us, is the travel insurance included. Air Evacuation is only 15K, but the over coverages seem fairly reasonable.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Yes, but the Carnival card only gives you 1% back towards cruising. You would probably be better off with something like the Capital One Venture card, for 2% back towards travel. It's now a metal card, and $59 annual fee after the first year, but it's worth it if you use your card. Let's say you have $400 in rewards, spend $330 on board Carnival, you can have that balance erased, leaving a balance in rewards of $70.

Spend $12,000 on your Carnival Card within a year, you'll yield $120 in Carnival Credit.

Spend $12,000 on the Capital one Venture, you'll yield $240 in comped travel (-$59 annual fee).

And don’t forget the sign up bonus of 40,000 points so that’s $400 worth of free travel anyway you want to use it. You’re not tied down to one airline or cruise line which is wonderful! Love my Cap One Venture Card!

And don’t forget the sign up bonus of 40,000 points so that’s $400 worth of free travel anyway you want to use it. You’re not tied down to one airline or cruise line which is wonderful! Love my Cap One Venture Card!

I can definitely vouch for Capital One in general. We use Capital One Spark as our main business card, and they have had our back. A vender tried to screw us over, and I requested a 50% refund for returned merchandise, and the agent insisted on 100%... irritated with the situation.

If I never need a personal 2% back card, I will choose Venture over Citi Double Cash.