What to do in Panama??

GLCAS

:confused::confused: We don't really want to see the Canal. We have 2 teenage daughters who really only want to beach. But seeing some monkeys would probably do it too. The choice of excursions on Carnival is quite limited but we are nervous to book on our own????????:rolleyes: What to do.......My DH isn't interested in sitting on a tour bus for hours, but as the activity director, ME, I am trying to find something. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm a little puzzled why you chose this itin if you don't want to see the Canal? Going thru the locks is pretty interesting.. Assuming you are doing partial transit since you are on Carnival> the pools will be open for daughters but if your hubby doesn't want a tour "bus" he probably wouldn't enjoy train tour either??? If Carnival offers it..

We are visiting Belize and Costa Rica which interest us more and also this is a family cruise for a 50th wedding anniversarywith a group of 30, and the 'groom' really wants to see the Canal. I don't beleive we do even a partial of the canal, but I may be wrong. So that is why we are looking for something to do.:)

When are you going on the cruise? Our family is going on the 2/21 sailing, and we are looking for a tour as well. The ones thru Carnival seem somewhat expensive, since there are 6 of us, so we are looking at booking directly with a tour company. We are open to anything good really, although we do want to take the kids to the canal for part of it. If you are on the same cruise and we all find one that we like, the rates will probably be lower. You can email me at Boyde8@aol.com if interested in trying to coordinate. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Panama for many years. If you want to see monkeys, and an island in it's natural state with wonderful guides, you can't beat Barro Colorado. If you happen to be going on the open tour days, it's a wonderful place. Private tours can be set up through the Smithsonian, but it's been years since I done it and can't give you procedure. Here's a link: http://www.stri.org/english/visit_us/barro_colorado/visiting_hours.php

If I gathered this correctly. Ship docks on the ATLANTIC side...doesn't ever enter the Canal...and 'day tours' on a bus are out for various reasons...and you want a 'see-the-monkeys-in-the-jungle' trip in a Minivan then time on a beach before back to the ship before sundown?? SUGGESTION: do a Web-search for Panama Tours Colon or some such thing. Hit ENTER and you will be on your way.

First off - be careful. Our cruise director reported in port talk that there were areas where tourists could count on being mugged. Period. Our tour guide also described a culture of violence that exists in cities. I'm so surprised that I read so little about this before I cruised to Panama -- maybe I didn't research enough. I can't help but want to pass on the warnings. You mentioned you have some young adults or teens (can't remember). Perhaps you'd consider not letting members of your group go off on their own.

I'd stick to ship tours (which I dislike, actually, but I did one for safety reasons) and tours and tour operators recommended on this site. Be safe and have a great cruise.

J

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be on Carnival Liberty 3/18 and we're looking for the same thing. We would prefer to do some snorkeling as well. I have read that Isla Grande is a couple of hours from the Colon Port, and a fabulous place to swim and beach it. However, I've only read this and can not find anyway to get there through a tour. Has anyone else heard of this? Can it be done? We have 8 people in our group and could do a private tour, but I am worried about just picking someone up at the pier. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Be Careful when you decide to just pick someone at the port. They are very aggressive and are not all great taxi service. Friends of ours asked for a taxi and a guy took them about a block to his old falling apart Lumina........it stalled on the trip and he asked for gas money on the way:eek:. They had a bit of panic as to what they had gotten themselves into. So do not get in a taxi that looks like it might not make it.

PS. They have great prices on booze in Panama. (eg. 2 one liter bottles of Tanquary gin $14)!!:)

Archived