Officers Dinner

macman

It's a perk if you are Platinum Plus or above. I'm not sure how else you can get invited.

In October 2016 we were selected. Watch the dailies and there is a little blurb- go to desk and put your name in to be selected (lottery style) for dining with officers. there were 3 tables, and it was great! I found out a secret to be selected- they look at your embarkation photo and tr,y to find fun, interesting looking people. I am a senior and not gorgeous (a few had beautiful daughters in their 20's) but am usually smiling and laughing and got to know a few of the cruise staff while dancing.

That cuts us out then as we don't "do" ship photos!!

Yes, you do have your picture taken. You have a picture taken that is attached to room key card.

Have a picture taken has nothing to do as to you get selected. It has more to do with the number of officers available each week to host each table of 6 to 8 guests.

We had this happen to us on our second cruise and found it to be very fun and interesting....the other 3 couples were not the interesting however - but we were all in our 30's which made conversation easy. I'm guessing that the other couples were put off when they asked if I wanted red or white wine and I requested a Coors Light....just not a wine guy.

We always try and register but its a lottery style so its all about chance from what we were told.

In October 2016 we were selected. Watch the dailies and there is a little blurb- go to desk and put your name in to be selected (lottery style) for dining with officers. there were 3 tables, and it was great! I found out a secret to be selected- they look at your embarkation photo and tr,y to find fun, interesting looking people. I am a senior and not gorgeous (a few had beautiful daughters in their 20's) but am usually smiling and laughing and got to know a few of the cruise staff while dancing.

Yeah. But hey changes it from a raffle to a platinum plus perk in Feb 2017.

Yes, it is a Platinum Plus Perk, but you still have to sign up for it. It is still a raffle too. Last month on The Jewel on the bottom of the first page of The Freestyle Daily was a notice of where and how to sign up for it. At my table who two lady US Army Captains who had been selected. They had been friends from high school and entered the military after college graduation. Once a year they take a cruise together. Very interesting young ladies.

Last November we were selected. But when NCL changed the Latitudes Rewards recently and added the Platinum Plus level, dinner with officers is now a perk of that level only.

I agree- it is Platinum Plus (and maybe the highest suite people) that are offered this. EVERYONE with the "advice" above, sailed before the new levels and Latitude perks. I've sailed 8 times on NCL 3 different ships, since the change in February. and a general dining option or lottery, was not available.

Sailed in May on the Epic....Platinum Plus.....Haven cabins...did NOT ask for but DID receive invitations to dine with an officer on each of the B2B weeks on board. Did it once....had a great time....but chose not to do it the second week.

Sailed last week on the Pearl in both GV's and did NOT receive an invitation....so not sure if there is any one rule or if it varies from ship to ship.

I agree- it is Platinum Plus (and maybe the highest suite people) that are offered this. EVERYONE with the "advice" above, sailed before the new levels and Latitude perks. I've sailed 8 times on NCL 3 different ships, since the change in February. and a general dining option or lottery, was not available.

Thanks for the update....actually really surprised that they don't charge for this - just yet another way NCL could make some money off of people....;p

I got off bway at the end of aug this year. I dont know if there was a platinum dinner also but i got 4 seats for my family just by submitting my name to customer desk and a random lottery supposedly. It was very nice and informative but overall there were not that many pax at the dinner, less than 10.

Sailed last week on the Pearl in both GV's and did NOT receive an invitation....so not sure if there is any one rule or if it varies from ship to ship.

You have to sign up. Clearly stated with the benefits. on the website

Hi. Husband and I were chosen at random. Found out later there was notice on the first page of the Freestyle Daily. People had to enter a drawing to be chosen. We had not entered. Maybe not to many guests signed up. We also did not take embarkation photos. So it was not photo. We are platinum. not platinum plus members. The one table was set up for 9 guests and the officer at the head of the table. The officer was the safety officer. One guest was an ex NFL player and his wife. There was 3 women across from us , 3 generation , grandmother , mother, daughter. Two no show guests.( Their chairs were vacant.) And last but not least, me and my husband. Great conversation, meal and drinks. Dinner was in the Aqua and we were on the Dawn out of Boston August 2017.

Im not sure that the random drawing process remained once the Platinum Plus benefit was instituted. In April-May, we were among a group of 6 Platinum Plus guests invited by the Latitudes Director and her spouse. Although lovely, we were so somewhat surprised with the apparent sales focus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Im not sure that the random drawing process remained once the Platinum Plus benefit was instituted. In April-May, we were among a group of 6 Platinum Plus guests invited by the Latitudes Director and her spouse. Although lovely, we were so somewhat surprised with the apparent sales focus.

An update to this earlier comment. We are just off the Dawn and were the only Platinum Plus guests at the dinner for 8 people. All others had signed up through Guest Services lottery. Very nice group of people, but the Officer, The Chief Engineer, clearly had no interest in this part of his job. We’ll do again because dinner with a group is fun, but I’d prefer the sales focus of our first experience over the “my boss made me do this” of this time! Everyone else felt the same and we had a good chuckle about it.

All three times we have been in the DOS on the Breakaway we found a handwritten note from the captain inviting us to dinner. We went 2 times and really enjoyed the dinner far more that I thought we would. It was interesting to hear the captain talk about how he got were he is and what he sees as the future of cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very nice group of people, but the Officer, The Chief Engineer, clearly had no interest in this part of his job. We’ll do again because dinner with a group is fun, but I’d prefer the sales focus of our first experience over the “my boss made me do this” of this time!

When we were selected last year for dinner with an officer - we were told it was the head of HR that would be joining us. We sighed, thinking that it was going to be be the same scenario you mentioned. That combined with the fact that I don't really have much regard for most "HR" types.

In the end - it couldn't have been better! We had a great time. If the HR officer wasn't enjoying this part of her job - she sure hid it well!