Cell phone question

carlandjo

Cell phones do not work while at sea, there are no cell towers in the ocean. They do, however, work in some ports. Be careful, some plans the roaming charges can be astranomical. Check with your cell phone provider.

no service at sea.... I have T-Mobile and had service at CocoCay.... however it was $2.95 a minute roaming charge, we went to St. Thomas and I could use my phone with no roaming... St. Maarten was $1.49 a minute. Best advice is to check with your carrier and see what they say

Sherrie

Mariner of the Seas 11/27/05

Navigator of the Seas 5/3/03

Well cell phone DO indeed work at sea on some ships! RCI, Celebrity and NCL for instance have been putting "cell towers" on their ships. I don't know if Mariner has one yet, but Navigator does! It's through AT&T Maritime Services and my Cingular phone worked while at sea. I used it several times (in my cabin). You must have international calling enabled and in my case it was at a charge of $1.49 per minute, however some other cellular providers charge more.

Could anyone tell me if you are able to get cell phone signal at sea or at port? ....

Yes, about 5-6 miles from the nearest tower I recall. The range at sea is a little longer than on land because there's not a lot to absorb the cell phone signal at sea.

you have to have a cell phone plan that works with AT&T Maritime Services for your phone to work. Mine would show the bars with Verizon but no service. For the calls away on Islands it cost as much as $2.50 pm in some places. Call your cell phone provider (plus make sure to take the name date and time you talked to them so if the info is wrong you can be refunded changes if you have any).

By the way!! Having worked in customer service for 2 major wireless providers, the $2.95 or so per minute roaming rates you are talking about is typically what your provider will charge to allow you to use another providers signal. HOWEVER, you CAN also be charge a roaming or usagae charge from the provider you actually use, and it would show on your regular bill. AND being outside the US, it is not regulated, they CAN and will charge you WHATEVER they want to. I've personally seen people being billed as musch as $15-20.00 per minute in some locations, SO BEWARE!! And your provider is NOT obligated to credit the provider's charges for any amount!!

When I was in RCC Explorer of the Seas, my Verizon Cell worked in San Juan and St. Thomas at no additional charge. My phone did not work in the ocean; however, a Mexican couple I met during the cruise had this phone that worked everywhere....

My last cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, I had cell service for all but a few hours of the entire trip, even while at sea. My carrier is Cingular. I had service in Nassau, St. Thomas and San Juan (No roaming charged from St. Thomas or San Juan since they are part of the U.S.), and at Labadee.

To the OP, do you know there is a possibility that you may be going to Cozumel after all instead of CocoCay?

Archived