What did you think of Rudi's Sal De Mer....???

SS Exeter

We will be on the NA in November. We love the Pinnacle Grill. We loved Le Cirque - but got a bit tired of it. have just made reservations for our first time at Rudi's. I cannot find any recent reviews and would love to know what people thought about this venue.

Thanks so much for all the help we get here on CC

We'll be on the NA in November as well, and plan on trying it, so I'm interested in reviews. My problem is I don't eat seafood, but my husband does. Which is why we'll try it. I see they have a steak, so that's what I'll order, but for the appetizer, there isn't anything I'd eat. I'm assuming they will be get a regular salad for me. If not, no big deal.

My sister and I enjoyed Rudi's Sel de Mer on Eurodam this past May, 2017. This is from my sister's blog which she keeps when we travel together. You can click on the photos to enlarge:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2017/05/25/sel-de-mer/

Love your sisters blog and great photos to go along with it!

Thank you so much!!

I will really enjoy this in 4 months on our cruise!

Denise:)

When I was on the Koningsdam in March with friends and family, we loved Sel de Mer. We ate there four times. The service was outstanding, and the chef even fixed a french style of coffee for my nephew.

We'll be on the NA in November as well, and plan on trying it, so I'm interested in reviews. My problem is I don't eat seafood, but my husband does. Which is why we'll try it. I see they have a steak, so that's what I'll order, but for the appetizer, there isn't anything I'd eat. I'm assuming they will be get a regular salad for me. If not, no big deal.

WCB, currently on the Eurodam, reports that the Lamb is even better than the Lamb Chops on the regular Pinnacle Grill Menu.

Just booked us in here for dinner on our cruise in Nov. on the NA. Turns out it is only open one night on our cruise. Assuming this will be in the Pinnacle dining area?

Yes, it is my understanding that this special dinner is usually only offered once during a cruise and it's location is in the Pinnacle Grill.

As I posted previously, none of group enjoyed it on the NA. Much preferred Le Cirque.

As we all know - we each have our own tastes and preferences. Our group of four on three different ships all enjoyed Sea de mer much more the Le Cirque. Independently, we all will decide for ourselves.

We were just off NA last week and it was very good and a nice experience. To us, much better than LeCirque.

Our only “complaint” was that they don’t serve the entire menu from Sel de Mer on Koningsdam. This is their own concept restaurant, so we thought the menu would be the same everywhere, but the pop-up was missing a few things (and they just happened to be things that we really enjoyed). If you’ve never eaten there on Koningsdam, you won’t know what you’re missing, so that shouldn’t matter.

Happy sailing...and more importantly, happy eating!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just off NA last week and it was very good and a nice experience. To us, much better than LeCirque.

Our only “complaint” was that they don’t serve the entire menu from Sel de Mer on Koningsdam. This is their own concept restaurant, so we thought the menu would be the same everywhere, but the pop-up was missing a few things (and they just happened to be things that we really enjoyed). If you’ve never eaten there on Koningsdam, you won’t know what you’re missing, so that shouldn’t matter.

Happy sailing...and more importantly, happy eating!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, we didn’t go on Koningsdam so, we will enjoy! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't personally tried the restaurant, but it did win an award. Holland America sent out a press release yesterday:

Holland America Line Wins Awards for O, The Oprah Magazine Partnership, Rudi’s Sel de Mer and Alaska Cruises

Seattle, Wash., Oct. 12, 2017 — Holland America Line recently collected a trio of awards from Seatrade Europe, AFAR Media and Kreuzfahrt Traume that recognized the brand’s marketing initiatives, Alaska cruises and culinary excellence, respectively.

Holland America Line’s partnership with O, The Oprah Magazine won the 2017 Seatrade Cruise Award for Marketing Initiative of the Year; the AFAR Travelers' Choice Cruise Awards recognized the line’s Alaska Cruises; and Rudi’s Sel De Mer was given the International German Cruise Award for Best New Restaurant Concept by German publication Kreuzfahrt Traume.

“We are always deeply honored when our brand is recognized for an initiative we worked tirelessly to develop or an experience that elevates who we are and what we deliver,” said Orlando Ashford, Holland America Line’s president. “Thank you to the readers and decision-makers from Seatrade, AFAR and Kreuzfahrt Traume who awarded us with these three prestigious honors.”

Seatrade Europe Recognizes O, The Oprah Magazine Partnership

Holland America Line’s partnership with O, The Oprah Magazine earned the 2017 Seatrade Cruise Award for Marketing Initiative of the Year. The new award recognized the cruise line’s onboard programming that was designed to unite the soul-stirring power of travel with the magazine’s deep commitment to connection and personal growth.

Five special theme cruises feature exclusive programming developed with the magazine’s editors, along with guest motivational speakers and one very special cruise that Oprah Winfrey sailed on in July 2017. Additionally, more than 300 cruises sailing from North America through the remainder of 2017 and 2018 have a variety of inspiring and engaging activities that bring the magazine to life on board.

AFAR Audience Names Holland America Line’s Alaska Cruises Number-One

In the AFAR Travelers’ Choice Cruise Awards, Holland America Line earned top accolades for its Alaska cruises. This is the first year AFAR Media broke their esteemed awards into three categories: hotel, cruise and destinations. More than 130,000 votes were received in the cruise category alone, and Holland America came out as number-one in the Alaska Cruise Line category.

In 2017 Holland America Line celebrated its 70th year as a leader in Alaska exploration. The line’s award-winning Alaska cruises and Land+Sea Journeys are the heart of the company’s global itineraries, and every itinerary is highlighted by scenic cruising of Alaska’s Inside Passage and one or more of Alaska’s famous glaciers and fjords.

Holland America Line’s Land+Sea Journeys combine a three-, four- or seven-day Inside Passage or Glacier Discovery cruise with in-depth overland tours to the Yukon and Alaska’s interior. Holland America Line is the only cruise company to weave must-see sites such as Denali National Park — the centerpiece of every Land+Sea Journey — with seldom-seen ones, such as Dawson City, in the heart of Klondike Gold Rush Country.

Rudi’s Sel De Mer Wins Best New Restaurant Concept

German publication Kreuzfahrt Traume named Rudi’s Sel de Mer Best New Restaurant Concept at the International German Cruise Awards. First launched on ms Koningsdam as a stand-alone venue, Rudi’s Sel de Mer recently debuted as a pop-up in the Pinnacle Grill on several ships in the Holland America Line fleet, and will expand to the entire fleet next year. The specialty restaurant was created and named for the cruise line’s Master Chef Rudi Sodamin, who conceived and developed the concept.

For Rudi’s Sel De Mer, Sodamin created Food Faces art for the exclusive show plates made by Bernardaud. Each plate portrays an image of a work of art crafted from food.

Rudi’s Sel de Mer is built around a menu of classic French Mediterranean dishes with a contemporary twist, featuring locally sourced seafood. The setting is an intimate brasserie with custom décor, plates, menus and uniforms reflecting the ambiance. Guests can indulge in a diverse selection of dishes over several courses that includes Rudi’s Seafood Tower, Bouillabaisse Marseillaise, Fruits de Mer, Duck Cassoulet, Soufflé au Fromage, Salt Crust Baked Branzino and desserts like Crêpes Suzette, Profiteroles with Hot Chocolate Sauce and Rudi’s famed Souffle – a version of the Salzburger Nockerl.