walkie talkies

Having said all that, iMessage on ios devices (for free) works great (no, you DO NOT need to sign up for wifi plan - just hop onto the ship's wifi. Has worked for us on any RCL ship we've been on so far, but I can't vouch for older ships).

I'm trying to figure out if i need to buy walkie talkies for cruising with my husband and two kids (5 and 7).

I'm about to go on Jewel of the Seas next week-- According to this page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/onboard-internet-device-service, it looks like I will have to buy internet. Is there something you're aware of that isn't documented? I'd love to go without having to buy walkie talkies and/or pay for daily internet!

I'm trying to figure out if i need to buy walkie talkies for cruising with my husband and two kids (5 and 7).

I'm about to go on Jewel of the Seas next week-- According to this page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/onboard-internet-device-service, it looks like I will have to buy internet. Is there something you're aware of that isn't documented? I'd love to go without having to buy walkie talkies and/or pay for daily internet!

The only ships where iMessage has been reported to work without buying internet are Quantum class ships and Harmony, not Jewel. No free iMessage on Jewel.

• 1 month later...

We used these years ago and if the kid had listened to it, it would have worked great! One thing we did find though was to use a side band. So instead of channel 4, we used something like 4.1 or 4.2.

When on any main channel we heard lots of people talking back and forth but on the side band it was just us.