walkie talkies

We are travelling with a small group and we were wondering if anyone has had any luck using walkie talkies to keep in touch. It sure would be beat running around the ship looking for people. I have seen people when I have cruised before using them. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on your cell carrier there are different calling/texting packages available. Also if are you planning on getting an internet package there are other packages.

List your ship and your plans for phone and internet and you will get help with various options.

We are travelling with a small group and we were wondering if anyone has had any luck using walkie talkies to keep in touch. It sure would be beat running around the ship looking for people. I have seen people when I have cruised before using them. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Don't waste your time.

We are going to try Zello, a free walkie talkie ap for our phones. Works fine at home, we'll know in a couple of days if it works on the ship.

That will require you to purchase the ship's WiFi package, in which case the OP could use any internet based messaging app.

Meet for breakfast. Go over everyone's plans for the day. Make plans to maybe meet for lunch (e.g., I'll be eating in the MDR at 12:30 if anyone wants to join me, be at the entrance then). If plans change, you can leave a message on the cabin phones. No need to be in constant touch all day.

Meet for breakfast. Go over everyone's plans for the day. Make plans to maybe meet for lunch (e.g., I'll be eating in the MDR at 12:30 if anyone wants to join me, be at the entrance then). If plans change, you can leave a message on the cabin phones. No need to be in constant touch all day.

That’s great advice. Once you know each other’s routine it is really very simple and people over think this stuff. Walkie-Talkies, Post it’s, Ship phone numbers, Chalk boards. Geeze too much to worry about on a vacation.

On our last TA my wife and I decided to share our WI-FI plan. We agreed to set times that we used it. We would leave each other messages before we logged off. But in reality there were few if any messages ever left. Worked like a charm

We used Motorola T80’s on Oasis. No problems with them ( they have a 16-20km range so can handle distances on the ship) . I would also recommend headphones ( there’s a headphone jack) so no one will be disturbed by incoming “calls”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are traveling with a small group and we were wondering if anyone has had any luck using walkie talkies to keep in touch. It sure would be beat running around the ship looking for people. I have seen people when I have cruised before using them. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We had really good results with the Midland LXT-560 radios on every ship we've been on including Allure. We were able to communicate from all over the ship. We use them sparingly when around others and just like a private phone call, would walk away from others and speak quietly. Always off at dinner and the shows, just like our phones. If you are courteous to others, as anyone should be, use them and don't worry about the flamers.

You nee minimum 3 watt real ones not the toy 0.05 watt . If the package has no power rating its a toy one . Had them for security in ports through Europe / Middle East ,wife could shop ,shop and shop and i could stay out side eat street food watch crowed ,look next door . and restroom . on ship you can also use house phone , have a meet up place ,leave note in room :cool:

You nee minimum 3 watt real ones not the toy 0.05 watt . If the package has no power rating its a toy one . Had them for security in ports through Europe / Middle East ,wife could shop ,shop and shop and i could stay out side eat street food watch crowed ,look next door . and restroom . on ship you can also use house phone , have a meet up place ,leave note in room :cool:

You need to be careful about using them in ports. Some of the high-powered ones are illegal in some countries.

they have a 16-20km range so can handle distances on the ship .
That distance would be across water. The issue on ships is not the distance - it's the layers of metal the signal has to penetrate on board a ship.

I will also point out that RCL does have an official policy , limiting the power:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/walkie-talkie-onboard-policy

They say 10 mile coverage, 5 watts max. Though I expect this policy is widely ignored...

And YES to using walkie-talkies with headsets!

Having said all that, iMessage on ios devices (for free) works great (no, you DO NOT need to sign up for wifi plan - just hop onto the ship's wifi. Has worked for us on any RCL ship we've been on so far, but I can't vouch for older ships).

• 2 months later...

I'll offer another option to Walkie-Talkies. DW and I travel with friends quite often. On day one we find a spot near the pool deck, usually the deck above the pool because that is less crowded. That becomes "our spot". If we're looking to just "hang out", we go to "our spot". If we're trying to find someone, we go to "our spot", chances are they'll be there or someone else will know where they are. It works out great to have a place to meet up during the day.