Which Liberty itinerary do you prefer - Coz/Cayman/Jamaica or Coz/Belize/Honduras?

Want to book a 7 night cruise out of Galveston in May. There are two itinerary options on RCL: Cozumel/Grand Cayman/Jamaica and Cozumel/Belize/Honduras. Which itinerary do you prefer and why?

My choice would be Cozumel/Belize/Honduras for selfish reasons. I' need to revisit Belize and I've never been to Honduras. My first visit to Belize we picked a Royal snorkel excursion. We waited for a tender, got to the port and waited 2 more hours before the excursion was canceled, so we just went back to the ship. I've wanted to dive here since being certified, so I want to qo back. Now if you are paying, I'll go on either ;)

Also remember Belize is a very long tender port if you arrange any independent excursions.

Have they updated the tender operation? When I was there in 2009, it gaves images of the British evacuation from Dunkirk with every form of allegedly sea worthy craft in use.

Another vote for Belize & Roatan. We enjoyed visits there in November 2015 on Vision of the Seas out of Tampa.

We did Gumbalimba Park in Roatan, and thought that was a decent excursion. A little bit about the island and its people on the drive to and from, and a nice hike through their gardens with lots of wildlife. It's got a bit of roadside kitsch mixed in too, but we get a kick out of that.

In Belize we did a city tour and air boat ride. Wasn't all that impressed with the bus tour portion - as is usually the case, you just don't get to really see and appreciate much from a moving vehicle. The air boat portion, however, was great. Guide was knowledgeable and funny, pointing out a number of different species of birds throughout the ride.

Have they updated the tender operation? When I was there in 2009, it gaves images of the British evacuation from Dunkirk with every form of allegedly sea worthy craft in use.

That pretty much described it in Nov 2015. We also had at least 4 ships in port that day. First time ever tendering. I'd be ok if it was my last as well!

That pretty much described it in Nov 2015. We also had at least 4 ships in port that day. First time ever tendering. I'd be ok if it was my last as well!

Not all tender rides are that bad but I have to agree that one of my tender rides at Belize will always rank as my scariest when a mother and young child became separated at the transfer point from ship to tender due to sudden really large swell. The child was quickly secured by the crew on the cruise ship while the mother and other passengers waited anxiously on the rocking tender boat.

That said, you have to tender at Cayman too so unless you have the Costa Maya stop replacing Belize, like our next trip, you will get a tender either route.

• 1 month later...

We've only done the Jamaica Grand Caymon route. We thought Jamaica was just ok. The port was nice but everything else was pretty far away. Grand canyon was tendered and we weren't too impressed.

We are doing the roatan/Costa Maya route next Feb and on the surface it seems they have more to offer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

We love all of those ports, so we are doing a B2B on the Liberty in January!

Grand Cayman, we are doing the Rays, Reef and Rum Point with Nativeway

Jamaica, staying at the port at Margaritaville. (Been to Dunns River Falls and the Irie Blue Hole already)

Cozumel, going to our favorite: Paradise Beach

Roatan, going to Big French Key

Costa Maya, going to the beach at Mahahual

Cozumel, probably going back to Paradise Beach...we love it there!

My daughter and her husband went to Belize and Roatan on their honeymoon. My DD has been on the Coz/GC/Jamaica cruise before and she loved it. However she really enjoyed the Coz/Belize/Roatan much more. In Coz they did the excursion to the cave snorkeling in Playa and loved it. She really enjoyed Belize & Roatan excursions. she said Roatan was awesome for they had a lunch there. You can't go wrong with either itinerary. My DD is 28 and her hubby is 37 and they both love snorkeling and catamaran excursions. I would look at the ships too...maybe one has something the other doesn't offer. Galveston she was on Carnival Breeze (she prefers RCCL) and the western Caribbean we were on Indy...she much preferred Indy! Check also cost to get to Galveston as this wasn't cheap for them going from Galveston. Plus their hotel wasn't that great and cost $300 for the night before in November because of a motorcycle convention. My DD says Coz/Belize/Roatan. She wants to do this itinerary again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I honestly love both itineraries. We did a beach day and cave tubing in Belize/Roatan and Nachi in Cozumel. Jamaica was a good beach day and we did a private Stingray City boat tour in the Caymans (and Nachi in Cozumel) on the other itinerary. Trying to choose between the two is like deciding on which kid you love more.

So for us, we made our choices based on price and dates. We know we'll have a good time on either.

But this year we're going Southern Caribbean out of Port Liberty for 12 nights just so we can see new ports. I'm going to miss being able to drive to port, but a night out in NYC for our anniversary will not suck. :)

Enjoy whichever cruise you choose. (And go to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel.) :)

I have visited Belize several times, both on cruise and land vacations, and been all over the country. I will say this: I love it there, and will happily go back. but I have seen many cruisers end up unhappy because they thought Belize City might be a fun DIY port. It's not. Belize City is pretty blah. Get out of Belize City and do the fun stuff!! Mayan Ruins! Cayes! Caves! Zip Lines! So many fun choices.

Book an excursion. And if your trip involves 2+ hours of travel each way, pay the extra $$ and book it through the cruise line. The roads can be wonky there.

I enjoy Roatan. Pretty island with good zip-lining and beaches! Look into touring with Victor Bodden or going to Little French Key.

Enjoy your trip!

Patti

I second Victor Boden in Roatan. Ask for Jerry if he is still around. We paid $80 total for a private full-day tour of the island, got to see a grocery store which was fun, and took Jerry out to lunch. He was very patient with explaining the culture of the island and even showed us where he lives with his wife and five kids. He was thinking of starting his own tour business when were there last February. He would do well. I also loved Belize but I haven't been to Cayman or Jamaica yet, that is the next cruise.