Embarkment day (at Sydney) how does it work?

Muffinz

We're on our first cruise in March 2018 cruising out of Sydney and I would like to know what exactly happens on Embarkment day.

When can we start boarding the ship? (Celebrity Solstice)

Does everyone just wait in line at the passenger terminal and they call people deck by deck (e.g. we are now boarding passengers on deck 8) or can anyone board at any time?

Wife wants to do some shopping around Circular Quay the morning of the cruise, but I'm worried that if we get to the passenger terminal after 12pm there will be hundreds of people all waiting to board the ship at the same time and we will have to wait 1-2 hours in a queue before we can get on - is this correct?

also if we do manage to get on early will any of the restaurants / cafes on board be open if we want to get a bite to eat / drink?

sorry if this has been discussed here previously, but I couldn't see anything.

It’s funny, but Sydney is one of the embarkation points I do remember from all of our cruises because we had more of a wait than at any other port. It was Christmas and so that may have made a difference - being Elite didn’t, the queues were very long ;).

Which cabin class have you booked? It does make a difference to the answer regarding where can you go for lunch on the ship - the buffet is open to all ;).

You will be given a boarding time when you get your final aperwork for the cruise...I think about 49 days out. Celebrity board by deck...suites, 12 and 11 first....etc,etc etc. those with loyalty status also get early boarding. Boarding usually starts around 11 or so.

If you get o the terminal early but cannot yet board you can drop your bags, bag drop is just outside of the terminal and go off and sightsee or get coffee etc.

Once onboard, you will be greeted with champagne, the coffee shop will be open, as will the buffet, so you won't go hungry. The MDR Serves lunch for Concierge class guests. Not sure if the Mast Grill and Aqua spa cafe are open on boarding day or not.plenty of bars will be open as well.

You should not have to wait in line for hours , that is why they give you specific times. Having said that if people turn up earlier and the terminal is not too busy they will let you board, although they have been known to turn people away as well. No problem either if you turn up after your time. Celebrity had so far for me had the best boarding experience.

We are on her again in March as well. Great Barrier Reef cruise. While there probably won't be a lot of things open in Sydne for shopping, most of the eateries will be open, ferries will be running on the harbour, still lots of things to see and do.

Solstice is a great ship, you are bound to enjoy your cruise.

Cheers Belinda

thanks for the replies - we're on deck 9 (9226?) - I'll try and find the e-mail from agent but I know it's 92... something

Yes we will be boarding on 3O March... but I didn't realise Sydney shops were shut on good friday... thanks for letting me know.

We will just stay at the hotel (Holiday inn old Sydney) until close to our boarding time then

thanks for the replies - we're on deck 9 (9226?) - I'll try and find the e-mail from agent but I know it's 92... something

Yes we will be boarding on 3O March... but I didn't realise Sydney shops were shut on good friday... thanks for letting me know.

We will just stay at the hotel (Holiday inn old Sydney) until close to our boarding time then

There will probably be touristy stores open but not really much else.....should be a great cruise. We are on deck 8 for his one. Have you joined the roll call here on CC fir this trip. Cruise critic also have a meet and greet you can register for. We meet up on board...have a drink or 2 and some nibbles and get to meet some of the officers onboard. Usually held the first sea day......so thus wouldn't be probably until Sunday.

Regarding lunch on boarding, yes the mast grill and Aqua spa cafe will also be open. Mast Grill doesburgers etc Aqua spa cafe does lighter healthier meals.

I see you are from NZ, we sailed there on Solstice last November. So beautiful.

Cheers

belinda

You will be given a time but if you turn up earlier/later it will not matter. If you are in a suite you will usually board immediately. There can be waits for other categories but usually not too long. You are processed at the desk and then sit in a holding area if they are not ready to board. Very occasionally there are delays on boarding if, for example, there has been a Noro outbreak on board and they need to do a deep clean. If there is going to be a delay you should receive an email.

If you want to purchase odd bits for on board there is a chemists shop and a shop that sells wine under Circular Quay (you are allowed to take two bottles on board). If you want to do some serious shopping I suggest you search on line first so you know exactly where to head for. In addition to the ferries buses also leave in most directions from the Quay.

When we boarded you queued to get your sea pass and then as you went through towards the ship you needed to show your passport. We boarded about 11.30 it was busy but no more busy than other ports we have cruised from. At most cruise ports we have found the 'manic' time to be between 12 and 1. If you can dine in Luminae (suite) or the MDR (concierge) note they stop serving at 1.30pm (buffet still open).

There are great views from the decks over the Opera house and bridge....great to board, get a drink and sit and just enjoy watching the city so don't shop for too long!

We have cruised Solstice twice and loved her!

We are also on the Great Barrier Reef cruise leaving 30 March - it's our first ever cruise and we chose the cruise because of the itinerary, but reading up on Celebrity we are pleased we've chosen this cruise and are looking forward to it. Celebrity seem to have a very good reputation

We are flying from Auckland NZ on the Thursday 29th and staying right in CQ close to the terminal

My wife just asked me why I'm worring about what to eat on the ship when we board...... because we're getting a buffet breakfast at the hotel in the morning LOL!

If you are staying near Circular Quay you can walk to,the ship ( many people walk to,the ship). As previously stated, as I remember ( we cruised this past Feb) the wait was no longer than other cruises. We are usually on board by 11:30. I was up early that day and walked over to the Opera House and took some great photos of the ship and the bridge. Enjoy your cruise.