Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Randyk47

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service for U.S. citizens and nationals who are traveling or living abroad. STEP allows you to enter information about trips abroad so that the Department of State, via our embassies and consulates, can better assist you in an emergency. You can also subscribe to receive email updates with travel alerts and other information for a particular country.

Normally we don’t bother to enroll for our International trips but because of her job Mrs K has to get approval for all foreign travel. Normally that is pretty routine, not an issue, and is handled internally in her agency. Just yesterday it came up that we are visited a couple of countries where the US Embassy has to be notified she’ll be in country. Interestingly it was actually the end of our cruise that raised the issue. We arrive in Dubai December 3 but our flight back home leaves at 1:30 AM December 4 and they treat that like we’ll be there for a day. If we’d gone directly to the airport and flown out that morning or afternoon she’d not have to inform the embassy. Of course I get caught up in the requirement because she has to list her traveling companions. Normally it’s not required but I guess it’s a good idea and helps if there is an event where the embassy needs to assist or know where you are and if you may need help.

Hope all goes smoothly with the Embassy notification Randy! There is a service available here in Canada for Canadians traveling or living abroad. Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify Canadian travelers in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables registrants to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

We used to register with the Foreign Office but I have checked and it is no longer a possibility except for a small number of countries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The list in the US STEP is quite extensive and may include the majority of recognized countries or at least the ones where we have embassies, consulates, or other arrangements. As I said before unless required by my wife’s work we haven’t bothered to register every trip. Her office doesn’t typically care about destinations like the Caribbean or EU Med countries where we’ve cruised the most.

Yes Australia has a Smart Traveller website and I have used it many times. Only twice have they contacted me and both were important. They let me know of an election date that was announced once we had left home. The other was when we were joining Seabourn Spirit in Mombasa. The ship had been attacked by Somali Pirates and it changed course to the Seychelles and we embarked from Mahe. Seabourn flew all the passengers from Mombasa to Mahe .Probably the best part of all the confusion in Mombasa, a lovely young lady from the Australia Embassy in Nairobi arrived to make sure all the Australian passengers were safe and advised us of the changes. We felt rather proud because of the many nationalities joining the ship, including crew, Australia was the only country who had sent help and information regarding the change of plans.

I got an email from a CC member asking me if STEP was connected to any of the US Trusted Traveler Programs like Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI. The short answer is no. It does remind me that all the Trusted Traveler Programs are now accessed through a single website rather than each program having its own website. For instance, if you try to log into the old Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) to manage your Global Entry enrollment you’ll be redirected to https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ and have to set up an account. For existing members there’s no requirement to do anything immediately unless you need to update a passport number, driver’s license information, or apply for a renewal. Non-members will have to use the new site to enroll in whatever program they’re interested in.

Hope all goes smoothly with the Embassy notification Randy! There is a service available here in Canada for Canadians traveling or living abroad. Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify Canadian travelers in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables registrants to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

Took nearly two weeks but Mrs K has all the paperwork and notifications in place. Kind of a hassle as they kept asking for additional information. Last round was her having to submit profile and head on pictures, a list of any identifying body marks like scars, and details on any tours we were going to take. Never had to go to this length before but never travelled to or in the Middle East either.

Thanks for the update Randy! So glad that everything is in place for your trip! Have a wonderful time!

Already staging clothing, cameras, etc. :D We have just over two weeks but since Mrs K works she really only has the two weekends/four days to decide what she wants to take, figure out what needs to go to the cleaners, and if a shopping trip is required.

In my experience they always decide that a shopping trip is required. :D

Let’s just say FedEx, UPS, and the postal service have been very busy and have visited us often. :o:)

Edited by Randyk47