EPIC-How to do it all?

andrew.mueller

So first time Cruiser traveling on the Nov 18th sailing of EPIC with DW and DS, my parents and my Sister and her family. Parents have been 8-10 cruises.

Super excited about the trip and spending way to much time on CC getting ready. I find myself stressing about getting to everything on board I want to get to especially since our new itinerary lost a sea day. How do you experience everything and still relax and enjoy the vacation. I am expecting my wife to not enjoy cruising so might be our only cruise for a while.

Simple answer: You don't do it all. The Epic has too much too offer to get everything done in a seven day sailing. Pick the major things that you want to do and see but ensure you put in plenty of down time in-between.

If you make an effort to do it all you will need to relax after your vacation. Enjoy it, the Epic is a fun ship.

My first cruise, which was long ago, I tried to do everything and see everything. After vacation I needed a vacation. I said that was the end of cruises. Now about 20 cruises later you have to relax and go with flow. We have seen our share of islands and they all begin to look the same. We now mostly just stay on the ship. The most relaxing days are port days when most everyone else is on shore.

You can't do it all on a 7 day cruise on the Epic, I should know, we did a b2b (14 days) on the Epic last year. We loved it so much! Hopefully, we will be able to do it all in January since we are booked for 3 straight weeks!:D:D

Make sure to go to the shows, Priscilla and Burn the Floor. They are great.

Make sure and book your tenders as soon as you get on the ship or else you might find yourself not getting off the ship at GSC and Grand Cayman until noon.:eek:

Do eat somewhere other than the buffet on embarkation day...O'Sheehans is great and so is the MDR. Makes it stress free.

You must try the waterslides even if you are not a slide person...the tube that goes in a circle is awesome!

I have lots I could type but I am sure you have probably read it all already.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Since you're with a group, you might consider having a talk with the other cruisers about priorities. You're right, you won't see it all...but you can make sure that each of you gets to experience your number one priority! With that expectation, you'll have time to relax. Make sure your expectations are realistic and your family too.

I am expecting my wife to not enjoy cruising so might be our only cruise for a while.

Why do you think your wife won't like cruising? Before your trip, you might want to clarify her concerns and expectations...because if she doesn't have a great vacation, you won't be happy either.

Good Luck!

I've been on Epic twice. The first time I tried to do it all and failed miserably. Even worse you can really annoy the people you cruise with. Relax...you don't have to or cant do it all. Pick what is most important to you and go with the flow. You are on vacation. If you fret every minute you are missing some show or activity you cant relax. The quality of the vacation is more important than the quantity of activities.

Have fun

So first time Cruiser traveling on the Nov 18th sailing of EPIC with DW and DS, my parents and my Sister and her family. Parents have been 8-10 cruises.

Super excited about the trip and spending way to much time on CC getting ready. I find myself stressing about getting to everything on board I want to get to especially since our new itinerary lost a sea day. How do you experience everything and still relax and enjoy the vacation. I am expecting my wife to not enjoy cruising so might be our only cruise for a while.

Book a couple more.

Area group we have already discussed expectation, we have book a couple of excursions together and the other port days everyone is going to do their won thing. We plan to eat dinner together most nights and other than that the expectation is everyone does what they want. Their will be plenty of time to be together.

As for my wife, she has already said she does not like the idea of being stuck on a boat for 7 days and the small rooms and weird bathroom set up of the Epic have her concerned --she is has sleep anxiety and routine issues so we will see how it goes!. Hopefully she will relax and love it!

Since you're with a group, you might consider having a talk with the other cruisers about priorities. You're right, you won't see it all...but you can make sure that each of you gets to experience your number one priority! With that expectation, you'll have time to relax. Make sure your expectations are realistic and your family too.

Why do you think your wife won't like cruising? Before your trip, you might want to clarify her concerns and expectations...because if she doesn't have a great vacation, you won't be happy either.

Good Luck!

As for my wife, she has already said she does not like the idea of being stuck on a boat for 7 days and the small rooms and weird bathroom set up of the Epic have her concerned --she is has sleep anxiety and routine issues so we will see how it goes!. Hopefully she will relax and love it!

Has your wife ever cruised before? What type of cabin do you have booked? For one, the insides are ok. 2 gets a bit tight. But for me personally, a midships inside has been where I've gotten my best sleep. The slight wave movement (much less than in a balcony) put me right out and it was pretty quiet as well. But quiet has a lot to do with location and if you have good neighbors.

We are in a balcony on Deck 11 towards the back of the ship. She cruised on the original Queen Elizabeth when she was a child.

Has your wife ever cruised before? What type of cabin do you have booked? For one, the insides are ok. 2 gets a bit tight. But for me personally, a midships inside has been where I've gotten my best sleep. The slight wave movement (much less than in a balcony) put me right out and it was pretty quiet as well. But quiet has a lot to do with location and if you have good neighbors.

You better write down your top must do's. One week on Epic just isn't enough time. You simply have to book a second trip. When I came home from our Epic Cruise I found out they were moving her to Europe. I was so upset that I wrote an email directly to Kevin Sheehan then CEO & President. He responded to me personally on a weekend. I almost booked the Epic this year so I could see the rest of the ship but my family was not thrilled with the itinerary....been there done that. Honestly though you will be coming off the ship wishing you had seen more. Sorry.....But you will still have a wonderful time!

We are in a balcony on Deck 11 towards the back of the ship. She cruised on the original Queen Elizabeth when she was a child.

Oh then you'll be ok. The balcony rooms, goofy bathrooms aside, aren't claustrophobic like an inside. You can stretch out on the couch, enjoy your lovely balcony, or enjoy the many things the epic has to offer. You may get some engine vibration and rocking if you hit weather but otherwise you are in for a great time!

We used to try and plan everything now we only plan what we are doing in port. While on ship we just wing it...We only make dinner reservations for one night and just punt with the rest of the week.

I used to be an over planner - and found that it is much more relaxing to not plan anything. If there is not a long wait at the water slide then we jump in line. Can't get into Cagneys then the main dining room works for us.

I just got off the Epic yesterday morning and you can't do it all. We did a lot and missed quite a bit. We did see Burn the Floor, Priscilla, and Cirque. We went to Howl at the Moon a few times, saw a few things in the atrium and ate at 3 of the specialty restaurants. We did check out the Cavern Club, gambled (I lost) and ate at O'Sheehans a few times. We didn't eat in any of the MDR, but did get dinner one of each meal at the buffet. We were staying in the Haven and ate breakfast there most of the time. We were in Europe, it was too chilly to the slides or get into the pool.