Rrrryndam 11/27 Sea of Cortez

rochnd

We had a great trip! First time on HAL and really could see the difference in service. The staff was very friendly and seemed to cater to the individual passengers. We had towel animals almost every night, room service nearly every morning, ate in the main dining room all but BBQ night, went ashore in every port. The ship was very, very clean had beautiful flowers, lovely art, and GREAT entertainment. Wow, what a cast! We did not make use of any HAL tours. We just got off and worked out our own activities. The staff was very clear about the Copper Canyon trip times, so anyone who went had no come back, and we heard none.

At times the Ryndam stinks. Sewer gas finds it's way into the hallways and is a bother. It was distasteful but not overwhelming. I went with visions of the guy who wore a sign around his neck, so I was prepared for the worst. We did see them working on drain lines (read 'roto rooter type activity') both in the hallway and in some cabins that we passed. This latter activity we saw during the first 3 or 4 days. We never had a problem in our cabin. With anything. It was perfect.

Ryndam does have a unique way of tendering. They lower a steep ladder out from the side of the vessel and you descend on the stairway (or go up as the case may be). For those with knee or back problems, etc. you are in for a bit of a taxing situation. Can be done, but it is a challenge!

Getting off the ship in San Diego was a joke! Anyone NOT in a wheelchair had to exit from deck 5 and walk down 2 (well 1.5) flights of stairs, hand held luggage, canes, walkers, and all. Ryndam staff is forbidden to help, so they say. I walk with a cane and I had a heavy carry on as did my wife. What fun we had and what names we called those thoughtless folks who came up with this system.

Other than that we had a great time and would go again in a heartbeat. HAL seems to know where it's going, IMHO.

Rockhound: Glad you enjoyed the Rrrryndam and the Sea of Cortez. We're almost packed for leaving next Friday for San Diego. :D So looking forward to Christmas on board. We'll be doing about the same as you in that we are not booking any tours and hope to relax and enjoy the ports and people. We do not plan on doing Copper Canyon. Hope to do it some day on a land tour.

Don't quite understand about the tendering problem. I don't remember anything like that the last time we were on the Ryndam (2001). Was there a problem with exceptionally low tides or something of that nature? Fortunately we (even though seniors) have little problems navigating the ups and downs to tenders....at least not yet, so we'll count our blessings.

Happy sails! Colette

Odd about the tendering -- I have not been on the Ryndam -- but I certainly remember the old days on the old ships when you would walk down two flights of ricketly, open stairs that had a loosely draped net underneath to make you feel "safe" as you boarded the tenders -- not for the faint of heart --

I have always felt that today's modern ships make cruising too "soft" -- kind of miss the old gang ways that teetered several stories above the docks and water, and the old stairs to the tenders, the rat protectors on the lines when we were tied down in port.....;)

We spent 20 days on the Ryndam and never noticed any sewer smells. I do know that there was a blockage in one of the lines and several cabins couldn't use thie bathrooms for a few hours - but never any smell. We never had a problem in our area (006).

I have very bad knees and can't handle stairs very well - we used the elevators to embark and disembark the ship in San Diego.

For tendering I take my time going up and down the stairs to the tenders.

The Ryndam uses a hatch that is displaced from the hull by hydraulic rams, lovering the hull section to just above the water line. A stairway (ladder) is attached to this hull section and a landing is attached to the bottom. All very nautical and safe feeling, just a bit steep. We noticed almost no motion on the ladder, little on the landing so it is different than a float, like some ships use.

Yo-

We were on this very same 11/27 cruise - having an inside room on deck 6-

The sewer smell in the hall ways was present on about 5 days-

Our shower basin and toilet stopped draining on day five - promptly fixed by staff while we were at lunch-

We had black/oily stuff in toilet and sink water - which no one could explain - had free bottled water for rest of the trip (three bottles delivered at a time) - but still the black stuff had to be there when you showered or brushed your teeth, etc-

Also - our shower ran both very hot and very cold (on fixed setting) - making it extremely uncomfortable to take an adequate shower - something that I complained about daily - and never got fixed or even slightly better-

At end of cruise we were presented with our account bill which had about $50 in additional laundry added to it - however - we had purchased the $100 unlimited laundry and pressing package when we boarded - but it still took two trips to the front desk to get it cleared up-

The ships showroom is the absolute worst we have encountered on ANY ship - with the layout both on the first level and the balcony leaving a very lot to be desired - and very hard to see what was happening on stage-

The onboard television stations were the worst that we have encountered since the advent of satellite reception - these guys could learn a lot from their parent - Carnival

The food and service was very good - some of the best that we have ever encountered - both in the dining room and the buffets-

We would probably sail with HAL again - but never again on the Ryndam-

Mike

Hi Bigmike! Sorry we missed you and the other CC'ers. I know there was a gathering planned but it came at the same time as the Captians reception. Darn.

I too noticed that black residue in the toilet, and like I said, the sewer gas odor several times. Strange. We were on the Veranday deck (104) which put us right above the main theatre. Sound flowed right up! Ever time there was something going on in that venue we heard it if we were in our cabin.

I really do agree with you about the layout of the theatre too. If you don't get there early, you might as well sit back to enjoy the sounds because you won't see very much.

The service was the best of any cruise and the food right up there too. I would sail the Ryndam again if, if, they were the only ones sailing an itinerary I just had to see.

Yes, the Ryndam is ailing. I think there has been a lot written about the sewer situation to predict with a high degree of accuracy that you will encounter at least sewer smell on the Ryndam. Or worse. Perhaps much worse. Unless, perhaps, you are in the suites. Perhaps it is a trickle down thing, lol.:eek:

Archived