Patmos info please!

cbb

Our O cruise in April-May'18 will stop in Patmos. We've not been there before and I've begun doing some research. Most of the info I'm seeing is dated but I think we can DIY this port.

Is it still possible to grab a cab at the port and go up to the St John Monastery and then walk around Chora/Hora? I know to check the hours for the Monastery since it is a Monday in May.

There appears to be a bus but the schedule is not necessarily adhered to...is that anybody's experience? I've also read that getting a cab back to port can be difficult because passengers going up arrange to be picked up for return trip.

Contemplated walking up the hill to Chora from the port but now rethinking that; we are thinking of taking the cab up and walking down. Is this feasible? We are agile (still!)

In walking down, do we really pass the Cave of Apocalypse? Google map of area confuses us!

thanks for personal experience advice!!!

C,

We've been there a couple of times but it's been a while. Each time we did a tour with the cruise line.

Just going by memory, I think it would be OK to walk down if you can't catch a bus or taxi but I would take a taxi up.

Not sure about the Cave of Apocolypse - perhaps check on Ports of Call forum?

I think that you will enjoy that stop - we did.

Paul

so here is what i've discovered: entrance $ to St John's Monastery=free, entrance to Cave of Revelations=free, cost of taxi= not very much (bargain with driver?)

one can easily walk down hill from Monastery after spending time walking the town of Chora/Hora and having a drink or lunch. Cave is on the historic path down to port.

cost of shorex = $199pp but they do include Greek dancing and ouzo and mezes. I can't drink and eat that much!!! No one wants to see me dance...trust me!!

Paul....thanks for reassurance! This is a change of itinerary; we were scheduled to go to Kusadasi but the Turkish govt is not issuing visas for Americans so we can't go. Canadians and others on board probably not happy with us....

Fortunately we've seen Ephesus so we're not disappointed but had planned to visit a couple of other places there.....oh well...

I agree with Paul but again it has been a long time since we were there

But do go into the Monastery it was very interesting ..lot of artifacts

We did the tour with the cruise line back then so cannot recall the walk back to the port

Some nice eating places near the port & of course my DH found the local bakery which we enjoyed a treat from ;)

Enjoy

think we're going to do a diy tour here...i think it is doable. Looking very forward to this port stop. I'll try and report back, perhaps do a thread as I did for ATW16, on this cruise. Great itinerary, i think!

think we're going to do a diy tour here...i think it is doable. Looking very forward to this port stop. I'll try and report back, perhaps do a thread as I did for ATW16, on this cruise. Great itinerary, i think!

Cynthia and Dave,

I agree with you about Patmos. It will be, IMO, an easy DIY. Plenty of time to visit the monastery and Cave, plus a lunch in town. I did see reviews of one or two places for lunch with great views near the monastery.

Take care,

Bill and Kathi

ssawjo--

two things i learned in today's research: that we shouldn't drink the water so bring water from ship and to wear good sturdy shoes because the hike either up or down is on uneven old stones.

I also have found some rec'ds for lunch--even better, a place for great gelato, and a bakery!!!

ssawjo--

two things i learned in today's research: that we shouldn't drink the water so bring water from ship and to wear good sturdy shoes because the hike either up or down is on uneven old stones.

I also have found some rec'ds for lunch--even better, a place for great gelato, and a bakery!!!

Thanks, will definitely keep this in mind.

Bill

Thanks Scott,

I had found those as well. I've also included this info in case you didn't find it.

Have a great time and report back how it went so we who will follow you will get your great advice!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

http://www.patmos-island.com/en/areas/info/skala

http://www.patmos-island.com/en/monasteries/info/apocalypse

http://www.patmosislandgreece.com/patmosapocalypse/holymonasteryofsaintjohnthetheologianonpatmosisland/index.html

When we were on Patmos we took the bus up the hill and walked down. We were a group of 8 I think. Wandered into Jimmy’s Balcony. It’s kinda cantilevered out over the slope, or at least feels that way. Jimmy was a hoot. We shared several small dishes , many laughes and a fabulous view. Would go back in a heartbeat.

We named our first boat Patmos and also have a license plate Patmos. I have have had people ask me at stoplights if we are Greek. Nope. My husband is Pat and I am Mo. Hence Patmos.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were on Patmos we took the bus up the hill and walked down. We were a group of 8 I think. Wandered into Jimmy’s Balcony. It’s kinda cantilevered out over the slope, or at least feels that way. Jimmy was a hoot. We shared several small dishes , many laughes and a fabulous view. Would go back in a heartbeat.

We named our first boat Patmos and also have a license plate Patmos. I have have had people ask me at stoplights if we are Greek. Nope. My husband is Pat and I am Mo. Hence Patmos.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like it :D

I like it too, Paul and Potterhill.

I've read some reviews of the port and currently the info seems to indicate that the bus schedule isn't necessarily followed...kinda like "island time" is what I've read about it lately....hence the idea of the taxi up and walk back.

I'll definitely keep the bus in mind and perhaps it will be waiting for us when we disembark. Research says we are the only ship in port. If the bus is there, and it is going to the Monastery, we'd probably climb aboard!

thanks everybody!!! And i've put Jimmy's into the dump document for this cruise....thanks for the rec'd!