Did they stop the Taste Bar?

cruisewithwife

Got off the Dream today. Taste bar was there as well as a really nice pay sushi bar called "bonsai". It was very popular and the food looked and smelled great very reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bonsai is a different sushi place from what they are replacing the Taste Bar with. Bonsai is a place with drinks, desserts, soup & salad, sushi, etc. There is a fee but it was worth is in my opinion! It is really great! What has been put in place of the Taste Bar is just a small sushi cart with VERY limited hours. Sushi is $1.50 a piece, $5+ for a roll (from what I remember). No Yuzu Custard or Green Tea cupcakes or any of the meal options at the little cart.

We just returned from a cruise on the Miracle and were very sorry to see the Taste Bar replaced with the Sushi place. I used to love being able to grab a beer at the Red Frog Pub and then step over to try one of the tasty items offered at the Taste Bar. Was really looking forward to those meatballs!

At the rate they are going, Carnival will be charging you for a glass of water in the MDR. I hated the sushi bar, and was impressed with everything from the taste bar-but the taste bar had a purpose-it was to entice you to try their Italian restaurants, their steak house, etc. If you are cruising on a Fantasy class, you are not going to get off the ship for another ship with better food choices-but it would make you want to cruise on another class of ship. And if you are already on a larger ship, maybe enough people are filling up the specialty restaurants and they don't need to advertise any more.

That was me being nice, the truth is, they got rid of decent tea for a cheap American brand, they charge you for tea at their tea times, they will charge you for room service, they have changed the MDR menu, they took the tiny lobsters off any thing less than a 7 day cruise.... and yet, I still cruise with them, because I can eat mediocre food for a few days, and not have to cook it, clean it or wash a dish afterwards. I can still go to a nice island, and swim in beautiful clear water, or climb ruins in Mexico, or visit countries I would not normally just fly to. But really, do they have to be sooo cheap?

Carnival cheerleaders say Royal nickel and dimes, builds mega ships they make fun of. Now Carnival has loads of cutbacks, starts nickle and diming and soon will have mega ships. Funny how things are turning out. Hip hip hooray.

Carnival cheerleaders say Royal nickel and dimes, builds mega ships they make fun of. Now Carnival has loads of cutbacks, starts nickle and diming and soon will have mega ships. Funny how things are turning out. Hip hip hooray.

Few years ago John Heald kept making fun of Royal for what Carnival is now doing in spades.

Glad we have options but the trend is troubling.

It was there on Liberty a couple of weeks ago but not open very much. Ditto on Sunshine in June. We like the location on Sunshine right next to alchemy bar where you can walk over and snag a bite while at the bar before dinner.

It does seem like a waste of prime real estate when it is unused the majority of the time. We are not sushi fans but it would make sense to put something there that would get more use, fee or not.

It was there on Liberty a couple of weeks ago but not open very much. Ditto on Sunshine in June. We like the location on Sunshine right next to alchemy bar where you can walk over and snag a bite while at the bar before dinner.

It does seem like a waste of prime real estate when it is unused the majority of the time. We are not sushi fans but it would make sense to put something there that would get more use, fee or not.

I was on the Liberty in early October and I agree. It was rarely open. I caught it just once, no lines and it almost went unnoticed. Just past (or before) the Alchemy Bar (newbie with difficulty distinguishing forward and aft) it was a great spot to snag a tasty tidbit with your cocktail.

I think we sampled a short rib and some type of bisque. Neither made me want to try one of the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk