How does P&O compare to Princess ....

KenAndJulie

We have just been offered what looks like a very good deal on a P&O cruise - the new Arcadia due to be launched next April (is it just me or is this ship the same as the Oosterdam). Anyhows, has anyone sailed both Princess (or some othr lines) and P&O, if so how do they compare ?

Thanks

Ken

PS: I have a room booked for you all in a sleezy motel once you sort out the posting etiquette arguements icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Ken and Julie,

Greetings from Oz....

nice to see you on here again...yes, we have been wondering the same thing. There are some very good deals down here in Oz for the P&O Oriana and Aurora from time to time, especially in Jan to Feb each year on the sector cruises... and we would be interested to hear about the comparisons also.

Regards

S&D

icon_smile.gif

7bdolph.gif

Star Princess Sept 2002 Mexican Riviera

Star Princess February 2004 Asia

Sapphire Princess March 2005 Asia

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2005;3;7;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+1000

BBC's...Bangkok or Bust Cruisers...Sydney/Bkk

Hi Ken - we've been on six Princess cruises and one onboard the Oceana in February. Instead of me waffling on for ages, perhaps it would be easier if you were to say exactly what you would like to compare - the food, accomodation etc. I'll do my best to answer!

Andrew.

Oceana - Feb 2004 In command: Captain Alistair Clark

Golden Princess - July 2003 In Command: Captain Bernard Warner

Dawn Princess - Feb 2002 In Command: Captain Attilio Guerrini

Dawn Princess - Jan 2001 In Command: Captain Attilio Guerrini

Grand Princess - Jan 2000 In Command: Commodore Mike Moulin

Majesty of the Seas - Jan 1999 In Command: Captain Ole Johan Gronhaug

Ken -

I looked up Arcadia and it appears to be a HAL Vista class ship - here is more info:

Cruise News Daily

Here is the text from the link I posted above:

Cruise Line: P&O Cruises Ship Name: Arcadia

Size: GRT: 85,000 Capacity: 1968

Builder: Fincantieri - Italy

This ship has quite a history before it is even completed. It started out as a Holland America Vista-class ship. Then, prior to Carnival's acquisition of P&O Princess, they decided that the Cunard brand would expand in the British market into the premium mass market to compete with P&O Cruises. Cunard therefore needed a new ship, and this hull was transferred to them and named Queen Victoria. Once P&O Cruises became part of Carnival Corp, there was no need for Cunard to compete with them, so Carnival decided to let Cunard again focus all of its attention on the luxury market. Since Carnival still wanted to expand in Britain, P&O was a logical choice to do it, and they therefore needed a new ship, so this hull was transferred to them and renamed Arcadia. (Cunard will still have a Vista-class ship named Queen Victoria but it will be delivered in early 2007, giving them more time to design modifications that will be appropriate for their luxury market.)

Like HAL's Vista-class ships, Arcadia will have the exterior glass elevators. It will be built to Panamax standards, so it can be used in both the Atlantic and Pacific, possibly on the line's world cruises, and 67% of the cabins will be outside, most with private verandahs.

I sometimes wish cruise lines wouldn't use old names again. The old Arcadia was the old Star Princess which I believe now is with Ocean Village. And the new Arcadia will be a Vista class ship (which looks to be a good design).

The only difference I know about P&O is that they put coffee pots in the rooms. I once read somewhere where someone posed a review betwee P&O and Princess - wish I could find it.

Been many years since I have been on P&O, but as I recall:

Food much more British

Dress codes much more formal.

Entertainment more English influenced, fewer production shows, more variety shows.

On their world cruises they usually "continentalize" the food service somewhat, to appeal to a bigger customer base.

Michael

Ken

Cruised on both P&O (5) and Princess (5)

Generally, P&O will be a little more formal overall than Princess will.

P&O Silver Service with PLENTY of vegetables

Service, little to choose between them, P&O staff use Sir/Madam I prefer the Princess way were they make the effort to learn and remember your family name.

Our recent experience on Oriana of a noticeable

minority of rude and ignorant Brits was not pleasant. There was always someone about looking for someone to look down on.

However, this experience has not been mirrored to the same degree on other P&O ships.

Bar prices about 20% lower than Princess, but no soda cards. No problem in bringing your own drinks aboard for consumption in your cabin.

Good god! is it that late?

Any specific questions just ask.

Regards

Ray

All

Thanks very much for the replies, and Coral thanks for the background (I thought the ship design looked familiar). Well, we did it, we went down and booked the new Arcadia (we were on the old Arcadis (Ocean Village) earlier this year), our local TA gave us a good deal (which included some room credit). The bad news however is that we have to wait until 4th November 2005 - Julie tells me it is 72 weeks.

What do you mean by the food is more British ? While this would be great news for Julie (very plain eater) I do like trying different nationalities and was very impressed with the Princess menus (Italian, Mexican, French, Spanish etc.)

Thanks again

Ken

We have also cruised on both lines and agree entirely with cruisebore's comments. The food is, IMHO, much plainer, less imaginative and frankly blander than Princess. I also think the food on Princess is much more modern in style and uses finer ingredients.

By the way, forget PC dining on P&O. Although they are introducing one 24 hour dining option, generally the buffet is only open for short hours at each mealtime and the dining room is ''traditional'' style only.Dress codes are respected and on formal nights everybody gets dressed up and stays that way the whole evening.Princess has a much lighter less rigid feel than P&O which has a more traditional air.

Ken

We saw the same deal on the same date and are still hovering. It's a great price and the itinerary is different. Still very tempted, but are reluctant to experience the British snobbery Cruisebore describes - I've heard that before about Oriana (but again, not the other ships) Fingers crossed that you won't experience it.....but I'm sure you'll be OK - just give them a taste of the Irish blarney you display on this board and they won't know how to deal with you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Archived