Traveling with our Granddaughter - Age 6

First time cruising with young ones. We didn't experience the joys of cruising until our children were much older. We will be sailing on April of 2018, Myself, Wife and Granddaughter.

Can someone outline the process of registering children into the kids programs and possibly review the program on the Grandeur of the Seas if you have experienced it with your 6-8 YO.

Thanks...

All you do to register the kids is to go to Adventure Ocean once you are onboard. The Adventure Ocean people should be there as you are entering the ship to put wristbands on the children, you can ask them specifics.

Go along on the first night as everyone is "new" then. Make sure she doesn't have 'privilege' of signing herself out. Then you can be sure if you have put her in she is there until you collect her. To collect her you need I/D, copy of passport will do or driving licence with photo. She will love Adventure Ocean.

Go along on the first night as everyone is "new" then. Make sure she doesn't have 'privilege' of signing herself out. Then you can be sure if you have put her in she is there until you collect her. To collect her you need I/D, copy of passport will do or driving licence with photo. She will love Adventure Ocean.

Actually all you need is your sea pass card to collect them. When you register, you list who is allowed to pick up the child and their room number. They will either look you up from the room number or scan your sea pass card.

Depending on when you travel and the number of kids on board, the AO can be quite busy in the evenings. The evenings tend to be group games and while my kids will go in the evenings, they prefer the quiet day time activities where it is more arts and crafts. You'll receive an AO compass so she can choose which activities she would like to attend.

Thank you for asking this, and thanks to everyone else for responding. I have been wondering about this as well. Our kids will be 10, 10 and 6 when we travel next summer (Radiance OTS in Alaska). I love that they will receive their own AO Compass - it will be fun for them to choose their activities!

Thank you for asking this, and thanks to everyone else for responding. I have been wondering about this as well. Our kids will be 10, 10 and 6 when we travel next summer (Radiance OTS in Alaska). I love that they will receive their own AO Compass - it will be fun for them to choose their activities!

We’ve never had a kid compass delivered. You go to guest services and pick them up.

And in my son’s experience on vision, freedom twice, and adventure, there’s no choosing activities. My son LOVED adventure ocean (he’s 13 now so it’s the boring teen club for him) but the counselors control the activities. There’s a list of the days activities on the compass and they are done through the day. You participate or you don’t. Participate. That makes it more fun.

First time cruising with young ones. We didn't experience the joys of cruising until our children were much older. We will be sailing on April of 2018, Myself, Wife and Granddaughter.

Can someone outline the process of registering children into the kids programs and possibly review the program on the Grandeur of the Seas if you have experienced it with your 6-8 YO.

Thanks...

I am sure you are already aware of this but be sure to have a signed and notarized letter from her parents giving the date of travel, name of ship and permission to take her outside of the country and make medical decisions for her.

Some will say it’s not necessary but I can verify we were asked to present it when traveling with our granddaughters. Once on Royal, once on Disney and once at Customs.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

We typically have the compass in cabin just like the adult one. If the cabin steward doesn't leave it automatically just ask, ours have always been delivered the night before as an insert with the normal one. On the first compass that is handed out prior to boarding the adventure ocean open hours and registration times will be listed. Go anytime during open house and sign her up. She should be given an Adventure Ocean lanyard. My child usually hangs with us instead of AO but always likes to go get the lanyard and likes to participate in the family activities that AO offers. Hope she enjoys her first cruise, mine is now addicted!

I am sure you are already aware of this but be sure to have a signed and notarized letter from her parents giving the date of travel, name of ship and permission to take her outside of the country and make medical decisions for her.

Some will say it’s not necessary but I can verify we were asked to present it when traveling with our granddaughters. Once on Royal, once on Disney and once at Customs.

Thanks for this tip. Would never had thought of it...

We will be traveling with our granddaughter also in April 2018. Her parents will be along though. Any tips or tricks for them? My granddaughter will be almost 2 years old then

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this tip. Would never had thought of it...

Kids often need more sunblock than adults. Make sure to take plenty. Can be expensive to purchase on board.

Along with the permission of her parents and appropriate passport and/or other ID such as an original birth certificate make sure you have the medical side of things covered. Make sure she has medical insurance that is valid outside of the US, along with a copy of her insurance card; or purchase insurance to cover her.

It's a good idea to have basic children's meds - not always available on board. Also know any allergies she has and her shot record, etc. Realize she is young, but if she wears glasses make sure you have an extra pair.

We’ve never had a kid compass delivered. You go to guest services and pick them up.

And in my son’s experience on vision, freedom twice, and adventure, there’s no choosing activities. My son LOVED adventure ocean (he’s 13 now so it’s the boring teen club for him) but the counselors control the activities. There’s a list of the days activities on the compass and they are done through the day. You participate or you don’t. Participate. That makes it more fun.

Okay. I understand. Thank you for clarifying.

I cruise with my young niece (she's now 6) and always have a notarized letter from her parents. Please note I had to provide this letter when I signed her up for the kids club on the Allure last December.

I've found its always necessary we weren't asked at check in i had to ask them if they wanted it but when we went to sign her up for the kids club they specifically asked for the letter.

• 3 months later...

Can't thank everyone for responding to this. So much great information all in one spot. My Granddaughter is counting the days and so are we. She's very advanced for her age and loves science and "performing". Do they do any type of science work in the kids club or is it basic doodling, games, and crafts to keep them occupied? Some ships do a group show or talent show for the kids. Does RCCL?

Thanks again in advance for the great responses...

Thoughts from a grandma

make sure grandkids/kids have shoes,not just flip flops, some games running around - flip flops trip hazard.

cannot wear just bathing suit to kids club, need shorts and top.

do not leave the for a long time the first day - so they do not feel panic you are not coming back - you can leave them again, but just check in.

Ask them if they would like to try a meal in the kids club or come out and join you - they do get a meal, but nice to ask them what they want.

some cruises they connect with the club, other times they do not - depends on ages of kids that show up and if they have fun. If they do not want to stay do not push it, maybe try later in the cruise.

Thoughts from a grandma

make sure grandkids/kids have shoes,not just flip flops, some games running around - flip flops trip hazard.

cannot wear just bathing suit to kids club, need shorts and top.

do not leave the for a long time the first day - so they do not feel panic you are not coming back - you can leave them again, but just check in.

Ask them if they would like to try a meal in the kids club or come out and join you - they do get a meal, but nice to ask them what they want.

some cruises they connect with the club, other times they do not - depends on ages of kids that show up and if they have fun. If they do not want to stay do not push it, maybe try later in the cruise.

All great advice. We don't plan on having her there too much as we truly enjoy spending every minute with her. She gets bored easily because she is like a sponge and things come so easily to her and she is ready to move on. Hoping to use the Kids Club as an opportunity for her to make friends and keep busy.