Airport

Patsfans

When flying to the US mainland from Puerto Rico your belongings have to undergo an additional screening for prohibited agricultural items, carried out by USDA's APHIS. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/plant_health/fs-bag-inspection-tavelers-notice-puerto-rico.pdf

As this adds time to your check in process at the airport, it's unwise to arrive at SJU less than two hours prior to your flight's departure.

Even on a really good day I would plan on 2 1/2 hours at SJU. Cruise days are particularly stressful but you do have a slight advantage of being on a later flight. (We've been flying in and out of SJU for at least 25 years so I have had a few experiences there.)

I don't know what benefit Sky Priority might have. Even TSA Pre passengers are reporting that they are in the general TSA lanes now.

As you enter the terminal head to the AG (USDA) scanner first. You cannot check your luggage until it is tagged. The scanners are adjacent to the front of the terminal.

No matter what airport, I’m arriving at least two hours before a domestic flight. With the agriculture check for SJ, even if your check only takes a moment, there’s no guarantee there won’t be a line in front of you.

There are things to see and possibly buy, and it’s just nice to not have to rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We arrived in San Juan on October 28th, and after spending our three days as planned (the Hotel El Convento actually honored our reservations) we flew out yesterday.

Given that there seem to be no functioning traffic lights in OSJ the El Convento staff had recommended allowing for an hour to drive to the airport. There were no traffic delays so it took about 15 minutes to arrive at the airport.

There also didn't seem to be any cruise ships in port and the airport wasn't mobbed with cruise passengers, so there was no line for the agricultural inspection. We were immediately in the United check-in line, and quickly through TSA (we have pre-check). The terminal had air conditioning. The airport shops were open with stocked shelves. The airport restaurants also were up and running. We did note that the elevator to the Star Alliance club room was not operating so had to use the stairs.

I should also note that there is an abundance of taxis in San Juan.