San Juan, St. Thomas

molemaui

Has anyone on any cruise sailed to these ports in the last month? I don't even know if they are open for cruise ships yet. In a month, the Equinox is scheduled to make these ports. From what I've read, neither destination is anywhere close to ready and while tourist dollars are important, it is far more important to restore basic services.

It is looking like the Equinox in December will be a "cruise to nowhere". I look forward to hearing from anyone with better information than me,

It is looking like the Equinox in December will be a "cruise to nowhere". ,

No. Maybe different ports though.

We're originally scheduled for St Thomas St Maarten and San Juan on Silhouette in December. Not worried, the ship will port somewhere and we plan on having a great vacation.

Molemaui - Celebrity has updated the itineraries through December on their website (top of the page). It's showing the new ports the ships will be going instead of those that are still not ready. Could change a few more times before December if the islands are ready by then.

Yes,

Our itinerary has changed several times. St. Martin became Dominican Republic, then St. Croix and now St. Thomas.

San Juan was always there but I have a hard time believing we will go there.

These islands have far greater problems than being ready for tourists. Islands not as badly affected by the hurricane are now overloaded with all there itinerary changes. Should be an interesting cruise.

We're on Silhouette to San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten in March - no itinerary changes so far.

I was at my dentist today. Everyone from the DDS to the receptionist is from PR. They tell me that the more populated parts of the island (San Juan, Ponce) are recovering well. The office closes for December and several of them go to PR for the Holidays so I'll have more info when I go back for more work in January.

San Juan was always there but I have a hard time believing we will go there.

San Juan has already been receiving cruise ships as a port of call, and all cruise lines (excluding Carnival which has chartered the Fascination to FEMA) will be operating their regularly scheduled cruises departing from San Juan during the busy winter season.

I'm from Puerto Rico, and I visited the island last week for the first time since hurricane Maria hit. I drove across the island to get to the town where most of my relatives live. This is what I saw:

Although the news make it sound like the entire island is in complete darkness, and everyone is living in a humanitarian crisis, the reality is somewhat different. Yes, the harsh and sad truth is that a lot of people are still facing very challenging conditions, specially those living in remote, small towns, but at the same time there are a lot of people who have returned to a sense of normalcy.

Many restaurants and businesses are open, including large shopping malls and movie theaters. People are out and about, going shopping, eating out, and just getting together. Businesses are packed! A lot of people are in good spirits and eager to get out and have fun. Bars and night clubs are gradually opening back up.

Mother Nature has been hard at work and the lush, green vegetation is gradually returning. There are many trees that were ripped right off the ground, but even those are sprouting new leaves.

Electrical power as well as running water have returned to larger urban areas, although many friends have reported that they can sometimes be unreliable. Some places may have electricity while places across the street may still be in the dark. Unless a warning is specifically issued for an area, running water is once again safe to drink.

A lot of people are operating their businesses using generators and some supplies may be limited. For example, I ate at a Longhorn Steakhouse while I was there and they didn't have several items on the menu, including most vegetables, as well as things like cheese. Going to a supermarket may be hit or miss. Some are well stocked with no lines, while others are half empty with long check out lines.

Cleaning crews have been hard at work removing debris and downed trees, and although there's still a lot of work to go, the scope of what they've already done is enormous.

If you stay in the Old San Juan area, you will most likely not notice a lot of damage except for some torn billboards and some mangled vegetation. Everybody is eager to get back to normal. It will most likely be business as usual for most shops, restaurants, museums and historic landmarks. Unless you venture out to the countryside and away from major urban areas, you will not witness any of the catastrophic devastation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone on any cruise sailed to these ports in the last month? I don't even know if they are open for cruise ships yet. In a month, the Equinox is scheduled to make these ports. From what I've read, neither destination is anywhere close to ready and while tourist dollars are important, it is far more important to restore basic services.

It is looking like the Equinox in December will be a "cruise to nowhere". I look forward to hearing from anyone with better information than me,

They will open soon.

We are leaving on Saturday In San Juan originally we started in San Juan, Barbados, st Lucia, Antigua, st kitts and the st Thomas. Now we are San Juan Barbados st Lucia Antigua Martinique and st kitts....

My advice to you is relax they will find another port of call for you. There is no point of worrying over something you can't change [emoji4]

We've had to do last minute changes to our flights because of SJU shutdown Quite a few gates because of the reckage so they will mainly cater to US airlines

I have to leave the day prior leaving at late night with a lay over of 5hrs . Air canada got us a hotel and we leave bright and early to head to San Juan ...

Good luck to you and it will all work out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums