Cruising with a 3 year old

tncruisergurl

If t he toddler is still using a stroller get an umbrella style you can easily collapse to store in the closet or under the bed. Best is if you can find one that reclines.

In port most transport does not have the right hook ups for USA or Canadian regulation car seats, better to leave them in the car, but if flying and needed for the plane take the smallest possible one (for the child's weight) already owned and store in closet on the ship.

There is rarely any pediatric medications on board and in port they may be vastly different from the ones the child's pediatrician would allow, put together a small first aid kit with age appropriate fever reducers, cough medicine, allergy meds, and stomach ailment relief.

Portable entertainment that does not require connectivity to the web. Be it as simple as crayons and coloring books, or as complex as tablet with already downloaded children shows or games.

If not potty trained extra diapers and wipes.

I wasn’t even thinking about a car seat!! Is it required in most ports? I guess I can ask before booking an excursion about that. Thanks for the info! I’m reading good reviews about the Dr Sues breakfast. We will do that for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn’t even thinking about a car seat!! Is it required in most ports? I guess I can ask before booking an excursion about that. Thanks for the info! I’m reading good reviews about the Dr Sues breakfast. We will do that for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did excursions that used the bus/large van, through carnival and did not use a car seat. Personally I would avoid taxis. Or we just walked to places. Same with transportation to hotel and used carnival transport to the cruise on a big bus. He was under 2 and a lap child for the flight so we didn't even bring a car seat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

If the parents are not going, then you need notarized permission form for emergency medical treatment etc. Also if she doesn't shower yet, you can bring a flat rubber drain cover & fill the shower bottom to about 2" depth. Also bring a plastic toy watering can to help with shampoo time. A squirt water bottle could work too.

There's a lot of good advice here already. Just a few things I'd add.

If he's not familiar with showers, you can bring a small inflatable bathtub (there actually make a great little splash pool in a pinch, too).

Bring a few things from home to help him feel comfortable. A few of the things our kiddo loved were magnets for the door, window clings unless you have an interior, and a tablet with some of his favorite shows/movies already downloaded. Another great thing was the nightlight from his own bedroom so it's was something familiar if he woke up in the middle of the night.

Talk to the crew. They've dealt with A LOT of toddlers and can be your biggest ally! Room stewards will work around nap schedules and bedtime, wait staff will fill special cups and or have milk waiting for you, and the childcare staff is incredible! We've had Lido deck crew members sword fight our son with straws and photographers remember his name and high five him every time we pass. All of the staff we've encountered was great with him!

Last tip, don't be afraid to take him to shows or the dining room. Be prepared to have an exit strategy just in case you need it, but our son LOVED the shows and made it all the way through dinner in the MDR every night.

Most importantly, have fun and take a lot of pictures!

As far as the Green Eggs and Ham breakfast, we had an incredible time the first year! The second time we went it was less than fantastic, but our son had a blast! Every time we read the book now, he asks if he can have the red cookie. It was his favorite part of the breakfast :)

He just turned six a few days ago so will be fine for the most part. Was planning on leaving bathroom light on at night with door slightly closed as we have an inside. I have a consent letter downloaded. A bit of concern is when I pick him up from camp ocean and when showering prior to dinner he'll have to sit in the room and wait. Don't want him leaving the room so wondering if I can latch the door. I can't remember if the lock is high enough. He loves hot chocolate with marshmallows. Will room service deliver at night? Thanks for all the great tips

Love these boards.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

He just turned six a few days ago so will be fine for the most part. Was planning on leaving bathroom light on at night with door slightly closed as we have an inside. I have a consent letter downloaded. A bit of concern is when I pick him up from camp ocean and when showering prior to dinner he'll have to sit in the room and wait. Don't want him leaving the room so wondering if I can latch the door. I can't remember if the lock is high enough. He loves hot chocolate with marshmallows. Will room service deliver at night? Thanks for all the great tips

Love these boards.

I'm not sure about the latch because I don't know his height. Personally, I'd shower while he at Camp Ocean. That way you have the room to yourself and don't have to worry about what he's doing.

As far as hot chocolate, I don't remember if that's something you can get from room service or not. However, you could get a travel mug and prepare it on the lido deck if not. BTW, my youngest loved getting cookies and milk delivered at bedtime.

Have a great trip!

Funny thing I just got back from grocery store and happened to see the single packs of hot chocolate so will take some packs on as I like them too. Great idea about cookies and milk. I will order and use my packets. He's going to love it and likes it with milk only. Fussy boy.

Funny thing I just got back from grocery store and happened to see the single packs of hot chocolate so will take some packs on as I like them too. Great idea about cookies and milk. I will order and use my packets. He's going to love it and likes it with milk only. Fussy boy.

You should be able to also get milk from room service with the hot water, should even be able to just ask for hot water and mugs and not waste their hot chocolate or tea if you don't want what they have. You should try the hot chocolate from lido, it is out of a premixed machine and it's actually really good!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Oh Yes, I'll be sure to take sunscreen and a hat, he's very blond and can easily burn, that's why I have decided to put him in Camp Carnival in the afternoon, during mornings I will keep him with me as he enjoys water slides and pool, same with excursions probably just do morning excursions then back to ship. I also bought him some swim sun guard attire with long sleeve top. This is his first trip away with Grandma so can't be too careful.