HAL offers 110% refund if you can get identical shore excursion for less

Dr.Dobro

I didn't imply anything of the sort. For the record, I am in support of the policy. I think it is a benefit to guests without any takeaway.

You're fabricating total garbage from my original two lines. You're really going overboard with your imagination and you took a very simple statement, obviously, in a tone not intended but that's your problem, not mine. Very rude!

Thank you for your clarification above. Your original Post (#42) may not have been intended to debunk HAL's guarantee but that is certainly the inference I drew from it. And I was not the only one who took it that way - see, for example, the response from ontheweb (Post #43), as well as your response to ontheweb. Maybe, just maybe, your original Post was not as clearly written as it could have been.

In any event, if the inferences I drew from your earlier Posts were incorrect, I apologize.

Actually, that's the difference: With the PIN code system at Disney, trying to use someone else's PIN code would get you nothing but static. That was their offer, and only for them. That would be the concern.

Sorry Disney is high on my list of plac es I dont' wish to go and know northing about their discount programs. Does what you describe apply only to the parks or to the cruise line as well? we ewnt to a park once and never returned returned though I have heard good things about their ships.

Sorry Disney is high on my list of plac es I dont' wish to go and know northing about their discount programs.
That's what I was referring to in another thread: Not liking something doesn't mean it isn't going to affect you. Disney is like Apple - a paragon in their industry. Their load levels and sustained markups are the envy of their competitors. Rest assured, if other travel and hospitality providers could do what they do they would - and they will once what Disney is currently doing becomes the standard practice in the industry.

All these changes in the industry over the last twenty years that you don't like - they came from somewhere. Someone tried it, and was successful. And then others tried it. And so on. And then it affected you, even though you originally avoided it.

Does what you describe apply only to the parks or to the cruise line as well?
Both. They are light-years ahead of the industry, but the industry will eventually catch up.

I wonder where Princess got their idea for the Ocean Medallion? (Hint: WDW resort uses an RFID-driven system and has since 2013.)

That's what I was referring to in another thread: Not liking something doesn't mean it isn't going to affect you. Disney is like Apple - a paragon in their industry. Their load levels and sustained markups are the envy of their competitors. Rest assured, if other travel and hospitality providers could do what they do they would - and they will once what Disney is currently doing becomes the standard practice in the industry.

I appreciate your knowledge of this stuff, but it would seem to me that high consumer demand allows such things as the pin code system you describe, as it allows Disney to have high prices. Therefore, the lower demand for HAL, etc., relative to Disney would really be a reason that HAL, etc. would not adopt that practice.

I appreciate your knowledge of this stuff, but it would seem to me that high consumer demand allows such things as the pin code system you describe, as it allows Disney to have high prices.
It's not a product of high demand but rather a high level of customer engagement.

Therefore, the lower demand for HAL, etc., relative to Disney would really be a reason that HAL, etc. would not adopt that practice.
I'm sure that Holland America is working hard to engage with its customers more, like Disney does (and increase demand as well, for that matter). There's no question that Disney is leagues ahead of CCL, NCL and RCL with this stuff, but the other cruise lines, resorts, and other travel and hospitality providers would be idiots to not learn from industry leaders.

That's why the leaders have to be continually innovating. If they just rested on their current advantages they wouldn't be leaders for very long.

It's not a product of high demand but rather a high level of customer engagement.

I'm sure that Holland America is working hard to engage with its customers more, like Disney does (and increase demand as well, for that matter). There's no question that Disney is leagues ahead of CCL, NCL and RCL with this stuff, but the other cruise lines, resorts, and other travel and hospitality providers would be idiots to not learn from industry leaders.

That's why the leaders have to be continually innovating. If they just rested on their current advantages they wouldn't be leaders for very long.

They've cornered the market for kids, though. All other lines don't get even the slightest consideration by some families, it seems. It must be pretty difficult to measure the effectiveness of their customer engagement when the demand is so high.

They've cornered the market for kids, though. All other lines don't get even the slightest consideration by some families, it seems. It must be pretty difficult to measure the effectiveness of their customer engagement when the demand is so high.

I believe there is some fallacy in play along the lines of thinking "You get what you pay for". If you don't bat an eye at a 7 day cruise for four around the Caribbean in a balcony room costing $10K you might look at competitors in the 2,500-5,000 range and think "They must be really bad compared to Disney if they are so cheap; Pass".

I believe there is some fallacy in play along the lines of thinking "You get what you pay for". If you don't bat an eye at a 7 day cruise for four around the Caribbean in a balcony room costing $10K you might look at competitors in the 2,500-5,000 range and think "They must be really bad compared to Disney if they are so cheap; Pass".

Absolutely. IMO many are suckers.

Except that many people feel that Disney truly does provide a better experience with the price. They aren't faking it, and they aren't duped; it is real value. My point was that some of that value is crafted by customer engagement rather than by operations design.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.