Most convenient airport for new Brooklyn terminal?

rolando

I'd have to disagree that JFK is the best.

Of course much depends on the time of day, but JFK is the furthest & usually has the most traffic.

Having lived in both NYC & Northern NJ for many years, my vote would be Newark.

Newark would be the worst choice for Brooklyn. The jury is still out on this; but, by my guesstimate, LaGuardia would be the best (except during rush hour), followed by JFK (which is the farthest). Airlines and originating cities can limit your choice, however.

BTW ... check out the other entries for Brooklyn. Lots of information has already been published to these boards.

If the Manhattan terminal is stil in use I think Newark is the best airport.

If the new Red Hook terminal is being used I'd consider La Guardia as posisbly a better choice. It's about 12 miles from the new pier whereas JFK is 20 miles. Also - if it's a Saturday mornign and there's lots of weekend traffic heading into the city, the highways heading west from JFK are more likely to be congested than those from LGA to Red Hook.

But JFK has a better on-time arrival record than LGA does.

In New York, weekends were made for ROAD CONSTRUCTION!:eek: All bets are off in determining which airport is best; any road can experience construction delays!

Of any of the NYC airports, JFK is the least prone to weather-related delays; a point possibly worth considering.

I expect that, for the first year or so, the Brooklyn terminal will only be used during peak times at the Manhattan terminal. (More than 4 ships there??? Weekends only???) The SEA PRINCESS tends to NOT visit NYC on weekends, but during the week. That's the nature of a 10-day cruise; the 7-day cruises almost always come into NYC on weekends.

Hello everyone

What is the most convenient airport to use in New York when trying to get to Princess's new Brooklyn terminal? La Guardia? Newark?? JFK??

Thanks for your help

First rule out Newark without a doubt. JFK is about 10 miles from the Brooklyn pier and could only be about 20 to 30 minutes without traffic but when is there ever no traffic on the Belt Parkway. To get to the pier from LaGuardia you need to use the Brooklyn Queens Expressway [bQE] and any time that could be a problem due to heavy truck traffic. If it were me I would use JFK any time of the week day or night.

I hate LaGuardia, but I would say LaGuardia would be the quickest for Red Hook, unless you are taking the streets.

Yes, you have to use the BQE, but if you go to Kennedy, and use the highways, you are either hitting the Verrazano traffic on the Belt or taking Ocean Parkway (sounds like a highway, but is a road with timed lights) to the Prospect Expressway (a highway, but seldom express :( )to the Gowanus (which is almost always bumper to bumper, except on alternate Tuesdays at 3 in the morning if there is no construction or accidents).

However, living in Brooklyn, I can tell you that we look at what flights are when, see which is the cheapest, and book the airport that has that flight.

In August we flew to Texas, from Kennedy, in April flew to Florida from Kennedy, the November before we flew to Aruba from Newark, March before flew to Nassau from Newark, and Friday I'm flying to Texas from LaGuardia.

So, pick whichever airport is most convenient and cheapest, and allow plenty of time to get to the port.

Ok then....thanks for all the replies. I guess a clear choice is not as evident as I anticipated.

Let's see if additional information helps with a recommendation. From Atlanta, the fare will be the same to any of the three airports, and there is hourly service to LGA as well as EWR, and very frequent svc to JFK, so those things are not differentiators in my case

More specifically, I'm making the trip on October 27, 2006 (Friday) arriving around 10:30 am.

Does any of that help? Oh yes, I'd like to get to the port by noon, and yes, all indications are that the Crown will be using the Brooklyn facility.

Thanks again for all your posts

Rolando

i don't know who could have said Newark, but that is just crazy. I have lived on Long island my entire life, and fly out of LaGuardia mostly, sometimes JFK, and on occasion Newark. My son flies regularly to Atlanta, he's a student at Emory. If you get a good flight into JFK, that would be my first choice. LaGuardia has hourly flights, and booking in advance you can get a good deal on Delta. I just booked my son to come back on 12/20 for $99. At 10:30 am on a Friday morning in October, you probably won't have a problem on the Belt. There is more likely to be an accident causing traffic than the bridge. BQE on the other hand can always have traffic.

Archived